Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Do I need a pinpointer?

Posted by vfp7 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Do I need a pinpointer?
September 20, 2017 06:52AM
After the detector is triggered the second person offers him a pinpointer.
What does he say to him that he does not need a pinpointer, and he does not understand those people who buy pinpointer ... smiling smiley
/ video from the category of humor /

[youtu.be]

( I apologize, the previously incorrect link was )

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2017 08:18AM by vfp7.
Re: Do I need a pinpointer?
September 20, 2017 09:42AM
Many of us started this hobby long before pin pointers. We did quite well. But I was younger. My eyes were better. It all depends where you hunt in my opinion. In a nice yard they allow a person to use surgical extraction. Many shallow targets I can use my whites pinpointer and make a very small hole popping the target. They also cut down on target chasing time. A very important tool to me. But opinions and dirt will vary.
September 20, 2017 09:54AM
Although alot of folks still detect without a pinpointer and of course that is a personal decison,but for me since they stated making them many years ago i tried one and never stopped using one,my 1st one was a very basic one,but it worked and certainly improved recovery time of a find by a massive amount.

Dont use anything fancy just a original Garrett but also carry a Bullseye as a spare backup,if i left the house without a pinpointer i would be totally lost,although i could still carry on detecting if i was miles away from home,but in my mind a probe is a vital piece of my equipment.
September 20, 2017 06:25PM
Don't leave home without one.....
September 20, 2017 06:54PM
Yes.

Pinpoint twice, dig once
September 20, 2017 10:34PM
Don't have one and not interested in getting one any time soon. Been detecting more than 30 years without one & never had a problem locating my finds.
September 21, 2017 02:00AM
Yes.
September 23, 2017 01:41PM
Different strokes for different folks....Early days struggled with original Whites and then did well with a Merlin which as prone to problems.
Garrets pro pointer really made a believer out of me and other companies followed with superior units..individual call at best...
September 23, 2017 04:32PM
A pinpointer is some of the best money I ever spent in this hobby. Wouldn't leave home without it!
September 24, 2017 04:00PM
goodmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Many of us started this hobby long before pin poin
> ters. We did quite well. But I was younger. My eye
> s were better. It all depends where you hunt in my
> opinion. In a nice yard they allow a person to use
> surgical extraction. Many shallow targets I can u
> se my whites pinpointer and make a very small hole
> popping the target. They also cut down on target c
> hasing time. A very important tool to me. But opi
> nions and dirt will vary.

Ditto. Save a lot of time during recovery.

Gonebeepin'

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
September 24, 2017 08:55PM
I think if you are serious about the hobby you should have one. I feel as thou it makes target retrieving a target a lot less messy and more efficient especially at parks. and is a very clean way of detecting shallow targets is with a pinpointer and a screwdriver

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2017 08:56PM by Diggs4ever.
September 24, 2017 10:48PM
If you hunt manicured lawns public or private you owe it too the hobby to use one as digging a deep plug and then busting it to pieces to locate target is ridiculous . Makes a lot less "sanitary" recovery. Been detecting/digging for over 40 years and would not consider not using one these days.

If you like making a mess of the turf and wasting time carry on sans pinpointer.

The need for one has zero to do with how great or poor you are able to pinpoint with your machine. Even the best pinpointer among us will often miss with a 6 inch plug if coin is on edge and the pinpointer makes it child's play to locate said coin in the side wall without making a mess with second or third half moons out of side of initial hole.