Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

best tool to locate a pipe 2-3 feet deep ?

Posted by diggers 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
best tool to locate a pipe 2-3 feet deep ?
October 27, 2011 12:52PM
its made of concrete but i am not sure if it has steel reinforcing so maybe a void detector might do it .ideas ??
Re: best tool to locate a pipe 2-3 feet deep ?
October 27, 2011 02:43PM
Use a T-handle probing rod
October 27, 2011 04:36PM
They do have devices made for this and might check at one of those U-rent places..They do rent a lot of tools so may have one..Rental fees can be reasonable and save time and aggravation.

Nephew just put a fence in on his property and a propelled digger had the job done in no time for the post holes.
October 27, 2011 06:03PM
Concrete pipe do have reinforcment wire embedded throughout like a long continuous cylinderical cage. A detector may pick them up because there are hundreds of connected 6 or 10 gauge welded wires. If I wasn't so lazy and under the weather, I'd go run a detector over the one that's under my driveway and post the results for ya, maybe later.

Diggers, went out to the concrete pipe under the driveway with the f-75. The pipe is only a foot deep but the detector, with ease, picked it up 3 feet off the ground. So thats 1 foot thru soil and 3 feet thru air. Came in at 62 thru 70 id.
sens 80, disc 7, de mode..these settings for no particular reason, that's just what it was set at when I turned it on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2011 06:52PM by ozzie.
October 28, 2011 12:27AM
use a shovel smiling smiley,I say a detector,I pick up the one at the beach, at low tide you can see it , on the dry sand beach ,it's over 2 feet down or more, because I try to dig it before I found out what it was
October 28, 2011 04:14AM
Hi, Was there water running through this pipe at one time????????????JJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2011 04:15AM by jimmyjiver.
October 28, 2011 02:43PM
yes . i went today with the whites surf dual PI only to find that the tiny wire from the battery 8box had snapped off as theyre so fragile ,so back again tomorrow with it repaired . very flimsy construction from Whites .
i figured the PI would go deeper on depth although i have a T2 special as well