Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

recommendation on a waterproof detector

Posted by goldmanjace 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
recommendation on a waterproof detector
November 19, 2011 03:41PM
Hi,

I wanted to do some river and freshwater detecting and I need an affordable waterproof detector. What can you guys recommend?
Re: recommendation on a waterproof detector
November 19, 2011 04:31PM
Fresh water? GARRETT AT PRO.
November 19, 2011 06:18PM
By all means .....AT Pro or AT Gold .........Both nce machines ......Get a new one with the newer features already implimented .....I would NOT reccomend them for Saltwater however ....Jim
November 20, 2011 01:07AM
I will look into those. What is the difference between the AT PRO and the AT GOLD?
November 20, 2011 01:10AM
I still think a CZ-21 can't be beat..... BUT with that said, that is ALL I have ever used except for a Fisher 1280X. However, I believe ANY top of the line detector, in experienced users hands is DEADLY to underground objects. I have a friend that loves his Excal. I have another that loves his Whites BHID.

I am not here to promote my detector, but I am deadly with it. The two posts above me love the Garrett. How far underwater you going? Isn't there a depth limit on the Garrett? Mine can go to 250' down BUTI never go past 30'. The BHID can only go 25' down.

Good luck with your decision and the only sugestion I can give you is get to know your detector. Dig lots of trash, dig lots of iffy signals. Experience and lots of use is the key to being a good underwater hunter.
November 20, 2011 01:14AM
Tesoro's are tough to beat in fresh water ought to cover it....
November 20, 2011 01:18AM
Yes I did look into the Tesoros and that particular Fisher model but that is priced too high for my budget. I dont know if I will water hunt that much and I dont even know if I will like it, that is why I wanted to test it out first. I agree and I usually go with a high end too. I am still undecided at the moment.
November 20, 2011 01:22AM
Did you look at a 1280X? You can find them on Craigslist nationwide for under 300.00 sometimes. A very good freshwater machine
November 20, 2011 02:45PM
I did look into the 1280X but I dont like the KHZ of 2.4.
November 20, 2011 02:49PM
I would have reccomended a lot of other machines that are in the $1,000 catagory, but I figured that when someone says " affordable " , I go to the low side of the numbers ..... "Affordable " can mean different numbers to a all concerned ....Jim
November 20, 2011 03:25PM
Time to get off this train wreck. Without knowing how deep he wants to go, what affordable is and being picky about frequency, there is no help available.

My advice, buy the best you can afford and learn to use it. Thats all the help anyone can give you.

Ohh one more thing, stay away from the Chinese trash that sell for 225.00 new. You get what you pay for.
November 21, 2011 02:23PM
Ok I will get more specific. I am wanting to hunt in freshwater lakes and rivers. I will not be diving but just wading. I want it to be waterproof incase I fall or the detector falls. Affordable means under 1000 dollars unless someone is willing to trade a detector that is worth over 1000 dollars for some guns? The reason why I am picky about the frequency is because the lower frequencies will not pick up small gold that well which may be present there (ancient gold). As far as depth goes, I want the regular dept a decent to good detector gets on land. I hope this helps out more :-)
November 21, 2011 05:01PM
Heres a thought.....any old land tesoro that hipmounts can be tucked in your waders and they just luv gold jewelry.

Heck you don't care what it looks like and should be able to pick one up quite cheaply and we all know or should know Tesoro's liberal fix it policies.. might put the control box in a plastic bag just in case...certainly a cheap way
to get started...been there done that years ago and did quite well in fresh water......
November 21, 2011 07:39PM
Goldman.

I will say Tiger Shark or AT Gold.

AT Gold with an additional coil looks to me as a very good option when you are so specific about the small gold.

I have not tested it but it looks good from what i read.

What you say is nearly a perfect fit on the AT Gold. This tread can be used as a commercial for it.
November 22, 2011 11:56PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Heres a thought.....any old land tesoro that
> hipmounts can be tucked in your waders and they
> just luv gold jewelry.
>
> Heck you don't care what it looks like and should
> be able to pick one up quite cheaply and we all
> know or should know Tesoro's liberal fix it
> policies.. might put the control box in a plastic
> bag just in case...certainly a cheap way
> to get started...been there done that years ago
> and did quite well in fresh water......

You know, I like that idea! All I need to know now is what tesoro can be hipmounted :-)
November 23, 2011 04:54PM
You would be looking for the pre umax models (plastic control boxes that hung under the rod and had the donut coil as it will sink and easier to hold under water)..Silver sabre, golden sabre 11 are two that come to mind..You don't want the older metal contol box models as the cord just wasn't long enough for comfortable hipmounting even though they were much longer than 3 foot u-max models and tesoro had an extension cord for those models to hipmount them(no good for water as connectors would short out). Basically run your disc at zero and a bobbi pin or fish hook will cackle and even small gold chains will hit...speaking from experience as did very well in fresh water until the water hunting rage had many competitors and swimming holes were hunted out especially in state parks.....
Might google older Tesoro detectors or give Tesoro a call or perhaps an older Tesoro user can chime in....