Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Older MD principles (BFO, etc.) - do they have their place today?

Posted by pelanj 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Older MD principles (BFO, etc.) - do they have their place today?
December 13, 2011 07:18PM
Hi all,
I just wonder if using some of the older technology detector (older than motion discrimination VLF) could give some advantage over the today's standard. Or are the current detectors "state of the art" and they are better in all regards? I have a few (almostsmiling smiley hunted out places and would like to find some more for the sake of the challenge. I am keeping the PI detectors as the last resort - I would prefer to dig with discrimination firstsmiling smiley
Re: Older MD principles (BFO, etc.) - do they have their place today?
December 13, 2011 07:27PM
An old Compass 77B or 77B Auto at 100KHz can sniff goodies out of iron if you are patient..Its a TR model...The Auto is the way to go.
Not a depth demon by a long shot but can work through small iron..

Keith
December 13, 2011 07:48PM
I recall reading that BFO's were unaffected by 50/60 Hz overhead power cables, though it might depend on the model etc.
December 14, 2011 07:36AM
If I lived in a place with low/zero mineralization, I would definitely own a TR machine.
December 14, 2011 02:28PM
Little before my time in hobby but understand newer units go deeper and in my neck of the woods silver coins drop deep.

Have seen older units used on saltwater beaches and they seemed to work well in this enviroment as talking to the operators their pouches were full but have no hands on knowledge.
December 14, 2011 06:30PM
Look what I found on Ebay.co.uk. You have all heard of the Garrett Ground Hog, no? ;-)

[www.ebay.co.uk]

The sites I hunt are often full of iron. Would a TR machine be good in sweet ground but with iron mineralization and lots of iron (both small and large, though the large stuff is much deeper in general.)

Thanks,
EMS