Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Any XP Deus users in the USA or Canada?

Posted by possum mo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Any XP Deus users in the USA or Canada?
January 04, 2012 11:55PM
That machine sounds hot in Europe. Wonder how it works here and compares to the US machines.
Re: Any XP Deus users in the USA or Canada?
January 05, 2012 12:53AM
there are several users here in the states. Maybe one will surface and let you know their thoughts

Tom in SC
January 05, 2012 06:03AM
Hi,

I've had my Deus for about a year now and I'm extremely pleased with it's performance. It comes with a super light 9" coil and I've also purchased the 13"X11" larger coil. Each coil in effect is another metal detector.

What I like: The detector is super light and amazingly ergonomical. My intention is for it to be my travel detector. It is amazingly versatile and adjustrable.

What I don't like: Deep signals give a top of the range signal...98 or 99.

CUNIAGO who has one thinks that the F-75 SE and Explorer SE are slightly (my word) deeper. He of course owns all three and can compare.

I'm going from the Fisher F-4 and the Deus definitely beats that.

I'm still trying to learn and get depth information from the detector. For some reason I can't quite get it.

I wrote a short review at Tnet after my first 3 months and I have the link here. Since then I've picked up at least 3 Gold rings and maybe a dozen silver coins mostly from the dry sand of the beach. Most of my dozen or so other Gold rings over the year have come from the wet sand with my PI.

[forum.treasurenet.com]

HH Joe
January 05, 2012 08:38PM
First off I would like to say that was a pleasure meeting and hunting with DrJoeprime on my recent Christmas vacation to the Los Angles area. Joe, thanks again for the hospitality and the salt beach hunting tips. It is always a pleasure to meet guys from the forum.

The Minelab Explorer SE Pro on short manicured grass or hardpan is deeper than the Deus, or at least I have not found any settings yet that will equal the Explorer on these conditions. The F75 LTD in Boost mode in tall grass and rough plowed fields will trump both the Explorer and the Deus. We all know that Minelabs hate air space between the coil and ground.
The Deus will trump both the Explorer and the F75 on flexibility as you can change to any of 4 frequencies (4 kHz, 8 kHz, 12 kHz or 18 kHz) with a couple of key strokes. Version 2 software (internet downloadable) also has four non motion pinpoint modes. It also trumps the other two detectors on pure hunting pleasure as it weighs just under 2 pounds with the 9 inch coil and just over 2 pounds with the 13 inch coil.
The Explorer has the edge in high EMI areas followed closely by the Deus and then way down the line, the F75.
The Deus is a really good relic detector and is as fast if not faster than the F75 when comparing processing speed.
The Deus can be setup for dry or wet sand and is a bit chatty in wet salt sand unless you tune the ground balance way down. Default for the wet beach program is 27 but 5 to 8 will really cut the chatter and still let you dig 8 to 10 inch dimes. So in versatility, it trumps the others here also.
I have not be able to test it in hot soil (such as Culpeper, Va) but it was designed for the European “coke” soil, so it “might” handle the hot Virginia soil.
In my opinion, each of these detectors will work better than the others in certain conditions and each has it place. But overall, if I had to choose only one of the three, I would take the Deus as it is close on depth and beats the others on the “fun” factor.
The downside is the cost. MSRP of about $2300 plus another $590 for the 13 inch coil is pretty steep. But if you have any back or heath issues, you will have a hard time beating the Deus with any other detector currently on the market. Again, this is just my opinion.
I would love to see Tom D. test a Deus in the neutral Florida soil and see how it compares to the rest of his arsenal.

Cuniagau

PS I carry all three at all times so that I can have the flexibility of having the right detector for the current conditions.

“Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.”
thanks for the input.....
January 05, 2012 11:35PM
How accurate is the Deus in the target indentification screen? Does it give accurate ID similiar to the Explorer?
Just a thought here, if the euro drops quite a bit in value this next year, as some experts predict, maybe the deus will become cheaper over here.
thanks for all the input. Tom sure has the best and brightest folks here......cream of the detecting field!!
Re: thanks for the input.....
January 06, 2012 12:51AM
Possum,

The conductivity scale is as accurate as the F75 or Explorer BUT, when you change frequencies, you also change the scale. 4 kHz will read a lower conductivity number than 18 kHz but it is relative across the scale. By that I mean if a silver dime reads 95 at 18 kHz, it might read 75 at 4 kHz. Or in other words, all of the conductivity reading will shift when you change frequencies. Basically when you change the frequency it is like changing detectors and you have to remember which frequency you are in and adjust your thinking if you are only looking at the display. Like any detector that I use, I rely 80% on audio and 20 % on display. You can also shift the tones to include or exclude adjacent numbers. If you want to include nickels in a higher tone then you can shift that tone range in include them. etc.
I have found more V and Buffalo nickels with this machine than any other that I have owned. And I used to think that my CZ70 was good on nickels.

Cuniagau

“Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.”
Re: thanks for the input.....
January 06, 2012 01:41PM
Interesting.... thought-provoking thread.
January 06, 2012 05:36PM
I can vouch for how popular the Deus is in Europe. I don't see other detectorists where I hunt but reading the forums and speaking to a few dealers, has shown me the Deus has really made an impact here.
It does appear true that the Deus is not as deep as some others, but the recovery speed is up there with the F75LTD, if not faster (from what users have said) - but I think the machines are approaching the usable level anyway.

I might get one someday just for the weight aspect. But my hope is to wait out the new CZ and see how light it is. I do like that extra depth.
January 06, 2012 11:15PM
Dr Joe, glad to hear you are doing well with the Deus. I decided to go with the Goldmaxx Power instead of the Deus. It just concerned me that the batteries could not be user replaced.
January 07, 2012 04:39AM
Tom,

Watch this video. [www.xpmetaldetectors.com]
You could always change the backphone and control unit batteries. Now you can change the coil battery also.

Cuniagau

January 07, 2012 01:57PM
i have a deus and its a joy to use ,popular at rallies in the UK ,good finds reported on the xp forum . [www.xp-ownersforum.com]

you can get a potting kit for the coil battery now and the others are not a problem.
January 07, 2012 02:02PM
You know............. it has always bothered me to put metal objects in/at/around coils. In my books........... only coil wire should be in the housing. Maybe a small RL/RC circuit at the output of the coil is (somewhat) okay. I'm not so concerned about swinging the extra weight of a battery in a coil; rather, the 'blind spots' that could incur due to other metal objects (especially ferrous)....... within the EM field of the coil.

Otherwise.......... an interesting video on how to change the battery/battery wire in the coil.