Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CZ3D sensitivity adjust.

Posted by Beach 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CZ3D sensitivity adjust.
January 09, 2012 05:35PM
I've read that most CZ3D's sens is maxed at or about 4.8. Tom told me mine is at 4.9 if I remember correctly. If this is so, why wouldn't Fisher use a different value pot. so as to use the full range of the sweep(more resolution) instead of compressing all the adjustment value into half the sweep?
Re: CZ3D sensitivity adjust.
January 09, 2012 07:58PM
Not sure, but maybe because the sensitivity control is tied into the all metal ( ie, autotune ) mode and is used to get a threshold type sound at the higher levels for ground balancing.

At the 4-5 level, when switched to autotune to ground balance, there would not be any thresold sound to balance to.
January 09, 2012 08:45PM
I believe Tom described it as after that point (4.8) the signal is degraded (due to noise, EMI, etc.) to the point that there are no physical depth gains to be heard/noticed.
January 09, 2012 09:39PM
I thought that the best performance was around 5. Which is 100% sensitivity. thus enhanced being above that value, 6 to 10. Above 5 will increase the footprint of the siganal but not the depth. because of the larger footprint, the more EMI has to cause problems. The way I tried to remember was 5 max depth, 10 max width. I may be wrong but this has always worked for me.

Tom in SC
January 09, 2012 11:52PM
I am glad you guys are posting this, Tom just finished revamping my CZ6a and said it was max at 4.9. I have always tryed to max out the sensitivity. No wounder i didn,t do so good. If anyone has good setting for the Cz in good dirt please post. Thanks Dean
January 10, 2012 03:27AM
What I remember without looking back; is the depth is maxed at 4.5 ish. Higher than that, the tones are amplified.
January 10, 2012 06:09AM
Hi, I know audio taper potentiometers have a logarithmic change of resistance with rotation. The resistance from the counter clockwise end to center is about 10% of the total and the resistance from the clockwise end to the center is about 90% of the potentiometers total value. They could also be using a linear potentiometer with the combination of a fixed resistor making any thing possible....The potentiometer could also be controlling a voltage divider circuit making some more interesting possibilities....With no schematic to look at I have no idea what the pot is actually controlling or changing the value within what circuit....Whatever it is or however they achieve this feat all I can say is it ((((WORKS))))... For what it's worth this is just my take on this subject....JJ
January 10, 2012 02:52PM
Due to the many different hunting conditions my advice is to run it as high as you can while having a stable unit..if in a real old area I might run it a tad hot to get that little extra bit of depth and that goes for any CZ from the Circa 1991 to 2012...Whether the unit actually goes deeper or am able to hear old coins better is no concern to me as long as I get them.
Just don't buy the theory that a unit is at max at a certain number as hunting in various areas of Pa. over the years and N.J. saltwater shores due to existing conditions ran CZ's from 2 to 8 sens but never could run any higher.
To me to run at a certain max sensitivity when the condition allows me to run higher sens. just don't make any sense to me but as always opinions differ and your call.
January 10, 2012 03:41PM
Dan, I most always run the sens as high as conditions permit, maybe even to the point of instability and work through the chatter for an extra 1" or so of depth.. The question was more of a curious nature than anything. On my other machines sens increases till the pot maxes out.
January 10, 2012 07:46PM
I cannot run my CZ6a's past 5.5 ( in discriminate mode 0 ) without a major influx of iron falsing. I always run at 0 setting and most times in the 4-4.5 range on sensitivity. I listen to all signals as to asertain any iron hits and any falsing, but when I get into the hot zone ( 6-10), there is very little if any depth difference yet there is 2-3 times more iron high falses ( and falsing in general).
January 11, 2012 01:17PM
In the ID mode of a CZ......."realized" gain is no longer identified beyond a certain analog set-point. In most cases..... on the analog CZ platforms...... this is in the range of approx 4.2 - 5.0. ((( CZ-20 & 21 slightly higher ))).