Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Permit

Posted by ozzie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Permit
January 18, 2012 09:27PM
The county where I live requires a permit to detect in the county parks. Went there today as I do every year to register and they are now charging $10 dollars.
How about you guys, do you need a permit to detect in your area?
Is it free or a tax?
Re: Permit
January 18, 2012 10:49PM
I hate to hear the financial 'charging' of this precednece being set.

No...... no 'charges' here yet.
January 18, 2012 10:51PM
Here in the States, If it is public property then it is free. But If they decide they do not want detectorist to dig they just put up a sign. Federal Property is not allowed. State, county and city yes.
If your taxes pay for the property then you can hunt unless otherwise posted.
January 19, 2012 02:24AM
Boise,Idaho $10 permit.
January 19, 2012 02:58AM
Not only the new $10 charge but they give us a piece of paper saying that we have to turn over our "valuable finds" for them to determine if they are historic or not. I'd like to know where the "historical items" end up and if anyone has ever turned anything in.
January 19, 2012 05:14AM
ozzie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The county where I live requires a permit to
> detect in the county parks. Went there today as I
> do every year to register and they are now
> charging $10 dollars.
> How about you guys, do you need a permit to detect
> in your area?
> Is it free or a tax?

none as of right now!
no one really gives a "hoot" around here!
just sayin'-mass-nh.
January 19, 2012 05:17AM
ozzie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not only the new $10 charge but they give us a
> piece of paper saying that we have to turn over
> our "valuable finds" for them to determine if they
> are historic or not. I'd like to know where the
> "historical items" end up and if anyone has ever
> turned anything in.

he he heh!,,ozzie,i'll bet ya got a lot of "memorials" to give 'em!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
January 19, 2012 07:00AM
Of 3 cities I detect, 2 require paid permit. One no permit required. I bet if one were to confront a municipality on being charged for a hobby on public grounds, they would come up with some lie like, its to cover the cost of repairing the damage. Yeah right. If that was the case, there would be a detector ban. Or the one I got told. Its to cover the cost of the permit process. Hmmmm...don't require permits and you won't have that cost. Then I get the dumb cow look after that statement. Munincipal wokers...intellect at its lowest common denominator.
January 19, 2012 12:29PM
Yea j.t. , memorials and a lot of other junk they can rummage through. If all the detectorists were to turn in all the "junk" (buckets of it) to the county, us taxpayers would be paying the professional (maybe an archaeologist) to sort through it for any historical value. That's just a molecule of the fat that needs to be trimmed from our state and local government.

Terra, I thought the same thing about the cost, so I asked her "Are there many permits issued to detectorists"? She said " Yes, quite a few". I said "A couple dozen mabye"? She said " Yea, about that many"

For many years they was no cost except the time and fuel to get there. A form is filled out and they check your identification (drivers license). Now, they added a $10 fee, and after the form is filled out, the lady at the desk called someone down from upstairs to come down and check the forms, and our i.d's. and, give the "ok"......I don't get that.

I say to myself " it's no big deal", but they don't stop, they just keep taking and taking from every facet of our supposedly free existence until it morphs into something else.
January 19, 2012 12:58PM
Here in NY there are individual area's that they charge for ......One example is Lake Welsh which is in Harriman State Park ....They charge you for the permit , and THEN they also charge you an additional $7 a day to park there ....You can only hunt the beach , no picnic grounds , and NO getting in the water !!..... Many other beaches also charge $40 or so for permits .....The state is broke and the government is the fattest in the country .....There are signs or people to control you in a big way here ...... Great place to live if you're a mamber of a block voting religious organization , or otherwise live on Welfare ..... Not a good place to live if you are part of the middle class that pays for it all , and just tries to get away on your days off to metal detect .....Jim
January 19, 2012 02:00PM
Honestly never saw a no detecting parks sign locally but sort of hit and miss whether you can or not.

State parks vary as some county mounties will ask found anything good and other will tell you dig a hole and you will be cited...go figger.

Federal land they can take your car-detector and lead you off in handcuffs and many areas have little or no posters so be careful along that line.

Heres the kicker on State game lands read the rules and everything 100 years or older has to be turned in so putting that 1911 Barber dime in your pouch is a violation.

As far as private land in many cases don't even ask as liability and insurance companies have really tightened up lest they be sued.

All in all fences are being erected in many of the older parks to keep out the vandals and the detectorists suffer.

The way thing are going might be illegal to hunt in your own backyard as usually you own the land not the mineral rights.

With the influx of more hunters and frivolous laws and such getting harder every year and many of the older areas I hunted are now off limits and only see more restrictions in the future so one wonders what lies in store for the hobby in the future.Nearing my mid seventies not a major concern but for you young bucks ???.
January 19, 2012 02:45PM
If you want to detect freshwater beaches here you have to have a permit. I've applied twice and not got one yet. It's a TVA thing. Has a set of rules I don't care for too.

There is another area close by that is not a TVA lake and the beach area of it is detectable but you have to pay a daily use fee of $5.
January 19, 2012 05:18PM
We as voters have to stop voting in politicians who love big government, and love to control everything. Vote for folks who love small government and more freedom. That would be a start to reverse this mess.
January 19, 2012 07:49PM
possum mo ,

The special interest groups run this country ..... THey keep things in a chaotic mess to keep us little guys paying and paying ....The little people can't find ONE thing to make a stand on ......This is the way it's planned , and this is the way it works .....Democrats, Republicans, and Liberals , and throw n all the groups you want ....Keep us fighting against each other so we can never unite ...... It's been like this for YEARS ......and the beat goes on !!.....Jim
January 19, 2012 10:31PM
Gotta agree with Synth.....the old adage.........'divide and conquer' is probably the most used and effective political tool. Study your world history folks. It happens in America too. We are not exempt.
January 20, 2012 01:34AM
A few years after I started detecting, must have been about 1975, the caretakers of a few of the city parks in Omaha, Nebraska were running me out on occasion. So I got together with a few of my detecting friends and composed a 'rules' list. We had a meeting with the Omaha Parks And Recreation Department head. We suggested a free, or cheap, permit system where the person had to sign an agreement to follow the rules to obtain a permit. They agreed to start a yearly permit system. Also it would cost 1 dollar. I got the very first one and it ended up working out great. The parks I had problems in before finally had a resolution. When the caretakers approached me I would show them the permit and continue on with my hunting.
January 20, 2012 01:54AM
in the state park, it's a beach and you can only detect the sand, there is 20 acres of woods there also, I use to hunt the woods, til a ranger told me it was state property, everyone in town told me it was town own, even the police, the ranger was nice about, and told me I need a permit, but that you could only hunt the beach and if you found anything valued over 50 buck, you need to turn it in, and the permits were free, I got the permit 5 years ago, I go back every year to get another one, they are a yearly permit and they say , we know you, catch us another time, I never got another permit, and I ask all the time, but getting back to the hunting the woods 5 years ago, the week before I met the ranger I found a 1720 +1752 King George and a 1657 liard, so I keep asking them when I see them if I can hunt the woods, and they keep saying no, it for the Archies to excavate , where this is , is the King Highway alone the coast, so I know these woods are loaded and this area goes back to the 1500's sad smiley
January 20, 2012 04:58AM
Yes...... what happened to freedom.
January 20, 2012 07:59PM
Freedom is just another word the government likes to distort ........ Another distorted word is " democracy " ........ Democracy is when you have more than one party to choose from in an election .....Freedom of choice ....... What they don't tell you is that all these parties are going to duke it out , and get NOTHING accomplished , and bills will get passed any way they all see fit ......The people will also fight against each other and not agreeing on anything because they are of a different polical persuation ...all to keep "DEMOCRACY" alive ...... Divided we FALL !!...... God Please Bless America !!.....Jim