Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Was wanting to invest in Fisher What's the....

Posted by Gonehunting 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Was wanting to invest in Fisher What's the....
December 30, 2011 06:43AM
I am in the market for the best set up Fisher has to offer for hunting relics.. What would you guys recommend to hunt woods and some open fields. I would like a smaller coil option for woods and larger coil option for the open fields.if thats possible,,,. I would like to stay as stock as I can on this. I like the weight of the F75 but don't really have any knowledge of the Fisher Detectors.. Thanks in advance...GH
Re: Was wanting to invest in Fisher What's the....
December 30, 2011 01:19PM
Yes, the Fisher F75 SE (depending on your local mineralization status) should be your best choice.
December 30, 2011 02:15PM
Lets not forget the 1266 as after all these years still a favorite of many relic hunters however many learned F series users do quite well with them.
December 30, 2011 05:21PM
My suggestion would be to also look at the Teknetics G2. It has been my main machine this past year and I can't argue with my results for 2011:
3 US plates
1 complete colonial shoe buckle
1840 NCO sword scabbard (end brass mount)
522 CW bullets, 19 eagle buttons, sash buckle, Enfield hammer and trigger guard and more
not bad on coins also: 1856 & 1891 Seated dimes, 1835 Capped bust half dime, 1843 Mexican 1/4 reale

all of these from mostly iron infested sites.
Depth is not bad, have pulled 58 cal minies down to 9" (mild soil)

For going deeper I am purchasing a Fisher CZ-5 but the G2 will remain my main machine. Truthfully best detector I have used in 30 years of hunting. Bill
December 30, 2011 10:25PM
g2 is much easier to use!!!!!!! imho, its worth a little loss in depth compared to the f75.
December 30, 2011 11:56PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lets not forget the 1266 as after all these years
> still a favorite of many relic hunters however
> many learned F series users do quite well with
> them.

Agree! IMO,Every serious Relic/Coin hunter needs a 65/66X in his/her arsenal of detectors. If I could only keep one? a 65/66X would be my choice...Sad, But you'll have to wait/watch for a good used one(hopefully) to go up for sale..Hard to beat even after all these years. Gerhard is probably winking right now.....
January 04, 2012 08:25AM
thanks guys for all the input.. I have been looking at the G2/F75SE, I really haven't seen any of the CZ's in operation.. the only thing that is turning me off on the G2 is the settings aren't saved when you turn it of... At least that is what I am being told...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2012 08:27AM by Gonehunting.
January 04, 2012 08:42AM
Gonehunting Wrote:
> thanks guys for all the input.. I have been
> looking at the G2/F75SE, I really haven't seen any
> of the CZ's in operation.. the only thing that is
> turning me off on the G2 is the settings aren't
> saved when you turn it of... At least that is what
> I am being told...
and I forgot the G2 has less points of resolution... Im really leaning toward the F75se... Thanks again..
January 04, 2012 11:16AM
No memory on the G2 is no big deal.
There are not many settings / adjustments to be made to start with.
The F 75 holds settings but i scroll through them each time anyways.
I can scroll as i walk and and finish faster than it takes to gear up.

G2 fun /easy , little EMI interferance
F75 deeper / need more focus

Both very good relic hunters
January 04, 2012 10:08PM
Battery life is a lot longer on the F75 vs G2/Gold Bug. If you detect 2-4 hrs a month it might not be a big deal though. Throw 4 AAs in a F75 and hunt all week every day for 8 hrs a day :-).

Not sure about the 1266 suggestion though. I had a 1265 and 1266 and actually still have the 1265...more so as a memoir of the first "real" detector I ever got than anything else. I wouldn't put either one of them up against anything new on the market. I think you would do much better with an F5 than a 1265 or 1266.

Of all that has been mentioned thus far, the F75 gets my vote.
January 04, 2012 10:42PM
My vote would also be an f-75se. Lightweight & ballanced, superfast, long battery life, easy to learn, deep, 5 yr warranty, good service (if needed), fair price.....what else?
January 05, 2012 02:00AM
For woods hunting, the F 75 LTD/SE is great. Often, with brush, vines and stubble like growth the coil is often several inches off the ground, but with it's B P mode I can still dig mini's, dime size coins and the like at very good depths. Depths of 7-8" are not un-common with the coil several inches off the ground. That is with the 11DD coil and not much difference with the smaller 6 1/2" coil, which I like a lot for woods hunting. HH jim tn
January 21, 2012 03:52PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
I wouldn't
> put either one of them up against anything new on
> the market. I think you would do much better with
> an F5 than a 1265 or 1266.

Just felt a need to comment here.
I'm currently on my 3rd Owned and Operated F75 LTD/SE and have been using my first T2 SE, and currently on my 2nd Etrac and MANY more have come and gone. My 1987 1265X with a 10 1/2" coil is always used along with all my detectors at my sites. It always comes along and it always manages to find something that other detectors have not/could not. It is not 'perfect' by no means, but it sure works for me, and works well...F5? Huh!?. If shallow-fast separation is what you seek!?...Hah! No way, Not here with my paws wrapped around it in my dirt.....Yes,It would be silly for someone looking to upgrade to seek out and purchase an 'old-tech' discontinued detector unless they were experienced with that particular unit, budget limited, and/or just wanted to try something that has proven results from so many others in their area/type of soils. So if your chasing relics you have alot of good choices out there, even some of the 'Old-School' units may *suprisingly* work extremely well for you!?!...Good-Luck!........
January 21, 2012 10:12PM
Come around here with a 1265 or 1266 and you'll be better off digging holes at random by throwing your shovel into the air and digging where it lands. :-) As the Hardees commercial says "And that's just the way it is". Hehe. Now if you found a brand new camp that had never been hunted and most things were 6" or less then you're cooking. But the camps around here...you'll walk and walk with nothing coming from your head phones.

BTW...we put an F5 with 11" coil up against an F75 with the same coil. F5 found everything the F75 did...so its not a bad machine. Better than a 1265 anyway.
January 21, 2012 11:21PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Come around here with a 1265 or 1266 and you'll be
> better off digging holes at random by throwing
> your shovel into the air and digging where it
> lands. :-) As the Hardees commercial says "And
> that's just the way it is". Hehe. Now if you
> found a brand new camp that had never been hunted
> and most things were 6" or less then you're
> cooking. But the camps around here...you'll walk
> and walk with nothing coming from your head
> phones.
>
> BTW...we put an F5 with 11" coil up against an F75
> with the same coil. F5 found everything the F75
> did...so its not a bad machine. Better than a 1265
> anyway.

Okay then, What works for me exceptionally here doesnt mean it will work elsewhere.AND Vise-Versa.... I guess the original poster should not consider an old 1200 series Fisher for locating relics as it may not work so well in his/her area/soil.....
January 22, 2012 12:41AM
CZ-3D with a 10.5" coil is a deep deep machine. They handle hotter ground too.