Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Fisher CZ 3D vs CZ 5

Posted by bc_coiner 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Fisher CZ 3D vs CZ 5
January 21, 2012 03:44AM
Hi

I've been looking for a CZ 3D but have the opportunity to. Buy a CZ 5

Anyone able to compare them for me? Also, have any stats on them?

I also could buy a Minelab sovereign XS2

My primary use I'd coin/ jewelry, ghost towns and salt beaches. And if course parks, etc. Ground out here us high mineral iron

Thanks

Chris
Re: Fisher CZ 3D vs CZ 5
January 21, 2012 02:11PM
Actually too broad a question to answer in a post and might ask specific questions.

All will handle the wet salt sand, if buying used CZ3D would probably be the newest as others especially the Sov. haven't been made in years.

CZ3D should excell in older areas...CZ's would be the deeper units and Sov. should handle the conditions better.

CZ's have better ergonomics than a Sov. unless hipmounted and then its about the same.

CZ3d has 4 tones and CZ5 3 tones and many can't master the multiple tones of a Sov. which has a superior notching system. and all in all CZ's are more user friendly.

My advise would visit a local multi line dealer or local club in your area for insight and do some research as CZ's and Sov's are like night and day and many swear by any of these units and of course personal preferences, what works best in you area all come into play.

Just a general comparison and good luck in your choice.
On another note...
January 21, 2012 04:07PM
bc-coiner,

You mentioned that you were considering a CZ3D?

Seeing that some think there are air testing issues with the newer CZ3D's that are available and many think that the the older CZ3D's provide greater depth... why not see if you can purchase a CZ5 for a reasonable price... then consider having Tom D. convert your CZ5 to CZ3D specifications. That way you would have the older (and supposedly better components in your detector) and it would be tuned by the "Master" himself.

I can't think of a better way to get a CZ3D, with quality components, for less money than a new CZ3D. The only drawback I can see would be the lack of a warranty on the detector. (But heck... everybody knows the older CZ don't die... they just get used, abused, and look like they should be dead. smiling smiley )

-NEBeachcomber
Re: Fisher CZ 3D vs CZ 5
January 23, 2012 03:26PM
Beachcomber has some good thoughts.

Remember if you do go this route CZ5 came out in late 92 or early 93 so make sure you elect to get newer model with the plastic armrest with the holes for a velcro strap.

Remember if you don't its possible you could be buying a 15-20 year old unit and better components or not they will be components with some years on them.

Nothing against the CZ3D but if you get a good deep CZ5 and don't hunt real old areas(100 years or so) why fix what ain't broke as a CZ5 in its own right is an excellent unit.