Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

SOPA & PIPA Government regulation of internet ?

Posted by Tri 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tri
SOPA & PIPA Government regulation of internet ?
January 20, 2012 12:08AM
Gentlemen, After reading what Tom said about Obama dismantling NASA, it appears the US government is attempting to shut down internet sites at will, all in the name of stopping "internet piracy". I do not know about the rest of you, but if these bills are allowed to pass, one in the House and one in the Senate, We all may suffer because I do not trust them stopping at internet piracy......and I sure as h*** don't want censorship of Tom site. Or any other that may be deemed "not up to government standards.

Tri

PS Forgive the off topic....but ever since Obama wanted an internet "cutoff switch"....like they did in Egypt.....I mean what is next....?????
Re: SOPA & PIPA Government regulation of internet ?
January 20, 2012 02:33AM
Internet piracy my butt !!...... Big Brother jsut want's more control over the WORLD !!..... Stop them now , or be sorry later !!.....You guys really need to talke this thing seriously .....Don't jsut sit back and wait for the next guy to do it for you .....Jim
January 20, 2012 02:52AM
I wonder...with all the things man has done to date, and being close to 60 years old , so I have seen some amazing things, why not start up an another internet, not government controlled, let business run it, profit driven, I bet everybody would buy into it
Tri
January 20, 2012 03:08AM
Fellas, the vast majority of the infrastructure , that is the actual wires, electronics, etc. that actually makes up the internet IS NOT OWNED BY THE US GOVERNMENT.......Yet they feel they need to, in my humble opinion, " to have a way to stop internet communications at will " , THIS IS NOT SOMETHING
WE CAN DISREGARD,....From what I understand the vote goes to the floor on 24 JAN 2012.

Is internet piracy a problem...of course.....always has been.....there is an ulterior motive for control of free speech.......it appears that this was orchestrated by the Motion picture and Recording industry lobbyists......but you can bet your last dime.....it will only escalate....in the wrong direction.

There are much better/efficient ways to control the "piracy" problem by those much smarter than me.........give them an inch and they will take a mile !!!!

I still believe in the US CONSTITUTION and fought for it, and will continue to do so.
January 20, 2012 03:29AM
I wrote my State Senator yesterday registering my non-support at the next election if he supports these Orwellian acts. Have you? Does no good to only complain here.
Tri
January 20, 2012 12:02PM
Yes....and signed multiple petitions.....right from google......

Rest assured money talks and b***s**t walks......deep pocket lobbyists , like Super-Pac's will continue to accentuate the negative.

Here is a list of those that do and do not support these bills......( [en.wikipedia.org] )

Terra.....why did you assume that I did not petition against this?.......come 6 Nov 2012.....where will you be ??

Tom, I respect your site and will let this be, just wanted to get out the word for some who may not have understood

Tri
January 20, 2012 12:39PM
These two new Bills are really really strongly against the net. They will be able to shut down websites without what we now consider proper evidence. The internet is clearly a threat as it is essentially a form of open communication and these Bills are there to control it. Criminals can't continue to be with open communication. If they pass, at first you probably won't see a whole lot, they never do that. But look after 911 what happened. They created Homeland Security and do you see what they are doing now? They have been shutting down sports streaming websites! This is not to protect the homeland, this is to protect corporations to start with. These new Bills are very very dangerous. Even without them they are shutting down websites. The just shut down MegaUpload, which I used to share legal files like some detecting stuff. They just need one bad apple sharing something illegal and bam, the site can be taken down. Actually, they don't even need a person caught, they can just shut sites down because they think something is against the law there, that is the danger of SOPA and PIPA. Sites are already being taken down without proper evidence.

Luckily the "internet blackout" protest yesterday had an effect. I think something like 18 senators or so, switched to being against it. Even if it doesn't pass and it's very close now, they will not stop trying, these "people" are patient.

EMS
January 24, 2012 12:42AM
Retracted message.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2012 01:11AM by charlives.