Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Micro-Jewelry Hunting Volleyball Courts with Fisher Gold Bug 2 - Settings & Advice

Posted by FindSomeGold 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I've been having a Private Message discussion with Tom and he made the great point that it would be good content for a forum post, to share the information with everyone -- so here it is! (edited some to focus on the core points)

Thank you VERY much, Tom!

MY FIRST MESSAGE TO TOM

I've watched the beach lecture twice now, and taken a lot of notes. I was most intrigued by the GB2 in dry sand for micro-jewelry hunting, so I've got a GB2 now (6" and 10" coils) and I am ready to give it a shot for myself. I'm curious what your ideal settings are. Would you please share that information with me? (I have no experience with this detector yet)

Also, in the video, you said ground balancing isn't necessary at all in this scenario, so does that mean it's turn on and go for this application?

TOM'S REPLY

"Iron Disc" invoked is the only critical part. All of the rest of the settings are to be max'ed out. Max Sensitivity, the threshold on the back of the unit max'ed out (fully clockwise), low mineralization............ and use the 10" coil as your primary coil. Ground Balance mid-scale is fine. Remember... stay in the dry sand (prefer volleyball courts)… clean the area out with a regular metal detector first. Your sand sifter is the most critical part of this type of hunting. If you do not have the correct micro-sifter... you will soon/instantly hate this type of hunting!

MY REPLY AFTER FIRST OUTING

I got out for my first GB2 volleyball court hunt yesterday, with the settings you suggested, and I was certainly shocked at how sensitive the detector is! I didn't find any jewelry, but I didn't totally expect to, as I only spent 30-40 minutes and I don't think this court sees much use anyway. As you said would happen, I ended up finding a good bit of foil, with some pieces being super small. Impressive!

I made a few observations that I wanted to run by you:
1. With the threshold maxed out, there was no threshold at all -- it was completely silent unless a target was under the coil. Is that how it should be? I hope so, because I enjoyed the contrast between target and no target in this case.
2. In this particular court, I could dig about 4-5 inches of sand before I hit black dirt. Obviously this wouldn't be the case on the beach, but this court was in a park. That's normal for an off-beach court right? I didn't dig any dirt out of respect for not messing up the court (there's probably a way to be neat and tidy, but I'm not sure of it), so I ended up leaving some targets behind, that were in the dirt. Would you have dug the dirt?
3. I had some "scratchy" sounding targets, that I didn't dig because the little pieces of foil really sounded off, so I figured the faint / scratchy tones couldn't be of much interest. Was this a mistake, should I dig everything, even with the GB2?

TOM'S REPLY

First... yes... even though your Threshold was max'ed out… you should still have no threshold. It is silent search. BUT... as you become more familiar with the detector... you will notice a fairly large performance gain... when this Threshold is set on maximum.

I doubt I would have dug in the dirt layer below the sand.

I would dig some of the scratchy targets... IF they repeated. You may learn that you do not need to do this at all... or... you may learn that they are 'fringe' depth targets.

If you are digging very tiny bits of foil... then the court is NOT hunted by anyone with a GB-2. You will eventually start finding jewelry. For now... I would try to stay under the center of the court... under the net. IF IF IF you have time/patience/energy... you could attempt to 'clean out' one side of the volleyball court... then... the other side. You WILL find jewelry by that time... assuming this court is indeed used somewhat frequently to play volleyball.
Re: Micro-Jewelry Hunting Volleyball Courts with Fisher Gold Bug 2 - Settings & Advice
January 17, 2012 03:33AM
Hello findsomegold, thanks for the post i recently bought a gold bug 2 with 10 inch coil was wondering how to validate the unit i'm guessing not with a dime? rr7
Hi Roy, I'm probably not the best person to answer on this, but my first thought is that you could max out the settings per above (somewhere away from any metal) and the detector should be in "silent search" per Tom above, and then you could air test with the smallest pieces of gold you have, using a scoop to wave over the coil (don't use your hand, this detector would even see that as a target). Good luck!
Re: Micro-Jewelry Hunting Volleyball Courts with Fisher Gold Bug 2 - Settings & Advice
January 21, 2012 04:12PM
Thanks findsomegold now that you mention it i rember a video of a guy nugget shooting and gold bug 2 was sounding off on his bare hand. Where do you find the correct micro-sifter.I have a old gold filling with a few small fractured pieces or maybe I can borrow a small earing or earing stud?Was wondering what kind of depth to expect, depth may not be its strong suit ?
January 22, 2012 03:32AM
I just acquired quite a few superior micro-jewelry sand sifters.............. and have been meaning to make a post on them.
JR
January 22, 2012 06:45PM
Please do, My Gold Bug 2 arrives Monday and I would very much like to purchase a sifter.
Regards,
JR
That would be great, Tom! I'd like one too. Please reserve one for me if-possible.
I'm using an eight-inch sieve and a strainer for now, but if you've got "the one", I am all-in.
Thanks!
January 28, 2012 03:30AM
Just send me a PM for remainder details.