Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Disc and Depth

Posted by Beach 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Disc and Depth
January 29, 2012 02:21PM
Does an analog machine loose more depth as the disc is increased than a digital machine(notch disc), say an F75 or CZ7 vs a CZ6 or CZ3D.?
Re: Disc and Depth
January 29, 2012 04:42PM
Some units do lose depth when higher discrimination is used. I am not sure if it is 'real' depth ( that is, the unit actually cannot do down as far) or is it due to not being able to ID properly, hence the target characteristic is being filtered via the discrimination circut.

As far as CZ's go, they lose very little, if any depth, when discrimination settings are raised if the target is in the range. For example, if a CZ can hit a clad dime at 10 inches with a repeatable high tone, it will hit that dime regardless if the discrimination setting is on 0 or 4 or 5.

There may be some units, in the above example, that may be able to hit the dime at the lowest discrimination setting, but not at higher levels.
January 29, 2012 06:40PM
Yes some analogs loose depth the more discrimination is used...

Lots of digitals remove it in the audio

the cz's are using a noch type system sort of like the garrett...It is hearing it in the circuit but not reporting it...sort of a blanker....

Sovereigns/explorer's dont loose depth they use a sort of digital signal processor...again removing it in the audio...Its there it just does not make it to your ear's..

Now on an analog white's 5900/6000 you will notice as you tune up the disc that it does not report object's even thought the meter still does...and I am not sure how they have set this machine up...unless it has a completey different circuit for the V.D.I. working independant of the disc circuit...which I beliebve it does the more I think about it...

Keith
January 30, 2012 02:50AM
Yes............ it all depends on the Mfr's design architect. Some units do..... some units don't.
January 30, 2012 05:24PM
To answer your CZ question using both digital and analog CZ's.. either lose little depth with high disc. which I use if after real deep silver and just want to concentrate on that tone. Never really did any comparisons but imagine it could
differ a tad on either or like models depending on the tuning of your unit.

In most cases high Disc. notch and the like will cause loss of depth and of course as Tom relates to depends on the particuliar unit or manufacturer..Some may relate to several inches so keep that in mind if using either in the unit you are swinging...