Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New Headphone suggestions?

Posted by jrk 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
jrk
New Headphone suggestions?
January 31, 2012 02:05AM
I think my stock Minelab E-Trac headphones are dying a slow death. You guys have recommends for replacements?

Thanks for the time and help,
Randy
Re: New Headphone suggestions?
January 31, 2012 08:23AM
Randy, I ordered but have yet to receive "Chefphones CP3 True Tone". They are sold out of England and only mentioned them because the guy who makes them really found the best speakers to use and this particular model were more for the E-Tracs range (He really has tried many many speakers out over the years and actually imports the speakers out of the USA). Probably a fine line but I have excellent hearing and good phones make a difference. Very professional website and looking headphones. Here is his website and the CP3 link: [www.chefphones.com];. The cost is around that of other good headphones. I actually ordered mine off Amazon.co.uk.

Outside of those, I have used Gray Ghosts for years and they are great. But my pair is getting really old and I decided to try something totally different.

Albert
January 31, 2012 12:14PM
Albert whats the specs on those? Lifetime warranty and they look good. I use a pair of Sun Ray Pro Golds that i think are super. Ive not seen a lot of difference in specs or price but some do match up better. I use mine on the Exp SE. I used the cheap Koss that came with them ..... lasted a month before the wires were showing at the cable plug because some one put a STRAIGHT plug on them with a short cable. Of course Koss didnt want to make it good.

Dew
January 31, 2012 02:10PM
Tough question to answer as all our hearings differ along with personal preferences.

Perhaps one of our learned forum members could add technical data as to what units would be the best to match this particuliar unit technically...to point you in right direction......
January 31, 2012 03:03PM
I can only recommend how they feel because as stated we all have different hearing. I like the Sunray Pro golds but the ones I grab are just a cheap pair of no-names. Low profile, light and fair sound.
I don't like to feel like I have a set of hub caps on the side of my head. Cord is another issue to me. Too short limits moving around and often drags the detector aroung and too long get caught on the shovel,
control unit and limbs. I am looking forward to a unit that does not cost an arm and leg that has wireless headphone.

Tom in SC
January 31, 2012 05:46PM
Dew - I sent Chef the questions as I don't know. I just came across them on some UK forums and the E-Trac guys were saying they were made specifically for the FBS units and work as advertised. The story is that Chef tried many many speakers to come up with what he has. And it is true that the Koss stock headphones to have good sound FOR E-Tracs. Also, they come with a 6m replaceable coiled cable and offer a 4m version as well. The stock sounds long but since it's coiled maybe it won't be. I don't like long cables.
jrk
February 01, 2012 02:22AM
Thanks for the info guys.
February 01, 2012 10:27AM
Man those Chefphones look like RAT MSA's to me. Except the RATS had no switch for different detectors. You just reversed the cord. The RATS were the best I ever found.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2012 10:28AM by goodmore.
February 01, 2012 11:30AM
goodmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Man those Chefphones look like RAT MSA's to me.
> Except the RATS had no switch for different
> detectors. You just reversed the cord. The RATS
> were the best I ever found.

I'm almost positive there is no relation. From everything I've read he started pretty much from scratch. I mean he did notice the Koss speakers were good for E-Tracs due to the frequency response. And then from there he tried lots of speakers out. But I'm not sure about the casings? Thanks for mentioning that. Still haven't heard back from Chef yet.

Albert
February 01, 2012 01:01PM
I know when i was looking for a good pair for my SE Andy Sabisch recommended i take a look at the bushmasters. [www.relichuntersupply.com] as you run down the various headphones look at the spects.... not a lot of difference. I do like an option to change the cable if something happens. Tom dont know about the arm and a leg, but doesnt the V3 have wireless headphones. Also radio shack sells a pair or at least used to. My concern was alway about lag time for target response. Id love to have wireless headphone on about any machine.... especially the Xcal.

Dew