Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Bad day at the fair

Posted by Coinseeker 78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Bad day at the fair
February 10, 2012 04:57AM
I went back to the old fairgrounds today and hunted an area that has some deep coin signals but could not recover them. The ground has a good bed of grass but when digging the plug I found it was a lot of gravel just below the grass line. The signals were giving me a coin reading from 6 to as much as 10 inches. I can't believe the gravel was there when the coins were dropped. because I don't think they would have sunk that deep in the gravel. I did find a lot of 3 inch deep clad but that is not what I was looking for. This fairground has produced a lot of silver for me with my old Explorer in the past but it was not full of gravel in the areas I had hunted with the Explorer except occasionally. What a bummer to know there is some good coins where I can't get to them. Maybe I will have to try a pick.
Re: Bad day at the fair
February 10, 2012 02:25PM
Unfortunately some old areas have fill dirt or gravel and these obvious area such as fairgrounds are picked mighty clean. Try venturing into the surrounding areas which may be now woods or trees but at one time may have been a busy area of the old fairground. I know of several instances where I did that and was rewarded with some nice silver coins and of course many times just some exercise but really works and if you can find an old map of the original fairgrounds its a plus...