Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

XP Deus - Shallow targets with no VID (video)???

Posted by earthmansurfer 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
XP Deus - Shallow targets with no VID (video)???
April 30, 2012 08:43PM
I often get deeper (7" - 8" or so) targets with no VID and have dug quite a few of them (but no keepers yet - sometimes deep iron). But, I am confused as in only 6 hours of hunting with the Deus I have dug quite a few (4 or more) shallow targets with no VID. The GB was spot on (via pumping) and most of the time there didn't appear to be any iron masking. (I had reactivity at 2 under GM Power with the 12kHz freq selected and I checked with Deus Fast - reactivity 3 and 18kHz freq.) My discrim has been 0 to the 5 range btw.

I am really enjoying the Deus though (got my first (very small) silver ring today in a spot I had been through with my V3i and E-Trac). I am picking up on the sounds quite well. I'll add a second video below on that fuzzy iron sound the Deus gives on iron. Both are quite short, 2 - 3 minutes and edited down to make viewing easier and quicker. You can check that channel for more videos.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks,
Albert
Re: XP Deus - Shallow targets with no VID (video)???
April 30, 2012 10:00PM
Hey Albert...

Those Non-I.D. tarerget's are becasue the machine think's it's too deep to I.D.

And alot of times they will turn out to be small and shallow...

pay attention to your horsehoe graph...you will notice when you get no i.d. the graph is only barely lit at the top of the non-ferrous side...That graph is way accurate for idying iron non iron in nail sizes...

The guy who built the DEUS is really in touch with in ground target scenario's..especially iron unmasking...if it can read it close it will i.d. on coin size object's...if it cant it stays blank and you use the tone

The designer knows the I.D. are almost useless past 7-8 inches on coin sizes so He opt's to let the audio talk...He's all audio ...Not for sure he even wanted and I.D. meter..LOL!!!

Video 2
Yes that iron that size will false to high...but there's tell tale signs to listen for...Slight warble in the tone...pull towards the edge a little from center and the iron grunt will come more powerful...
Your machine is working like it is supposed to work and also you are seeing the freq's in action...

You can tell it's a larger target it fill's the the horseshoe in more in all freq's compared to your first small target video...you see the GMP program flipping from high i.d. numbers to no i.d. number's on a powerful hit...that right there is a good indicator it's iron falsing...the 4khz does not wont to read it on i.d period yet it hits it fluttery also..sure sign of larger iron...12khz show's the id jumping from the 70's to 90 so it right in the middle of the zone..and you know when a machine is flopping number's and the target is strong it's a good chance it's trash...

The 4 khz I.D''s visually the best but yet can't really put it on the i.d. scale because it would be a false I.D. but... remember on a batlefield or roman occupied site civil war sites here in the states or colonial sites a piece of iron that size will most surely need to be dug..the user Artifact seeker will most surely want that target...An some time's those target's will be quite deep...4khz is the deep seeker freq for large target's...

This is were we need to learn the nuances of the freqs we are in and use them to our advantage...The machine behaves like it does for a reason...The designer knows exaclty why it does what it does...and He built it like this for a reason...

12Khz is the more standard acting detector mode.safe mode and again the one peope want ot gravitate towards... But this detector offers so much more...

the other freq's dont care too much about a visual I.D. they are specialty mode's and people using those mode's could care less about an I.D. they are artifact collector's..

For the most part the DEUS is not designed to be a Coin Shooter yet it works well... it is designed for the serious enthusiast trying to work target's out of iron infested site's..using the appropriate freq an coupled setting's

Just my take on it

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2012 11:47PM by Keith Southern.
April 30, 2012 11:17PM
First I would like to say nice job on the videos.

The first thing I noticed about the Deus is it's attraction to rusted iron. Especially if it is round. In fact the Deus can't say no to any round metal. A good thing for coin shooters!

The people in Europe who have been using the Deus for the longest period of time insist that hunting with the Deus is all about the tones. Most tell me in correspondence to set up the Deus and then put the control panel in my pocket. I just have a hard time myself determining high iron tone from high coin tone. That is basically all I use the meter for at this point. I look for 97 and 98 numbers indicating iron. High tone with no 97 or 98 gets dug. I still get fooled by some things, but overall I am starting to understand things as well.

I think you and I have one thing in common. We are both recent and still users of the E Trac. The numbers are much more important on that detector.

Here in the States we have our nickel. I have just given up trying to assign a number to them. So I just revert back to good old instinct and common sense. Depending where I am at I will dig a fair amount of mid tones. On a nice yard I just listen for real good tone and watch the depth. Everywhere else I just dig and hope I hit a nickel or ring.

I basically set up my own program sticking to one frequency. The 12 Khz for coin shooting for me. Zero discrimination where I can handle the information. And no more than 5 discrimination anywhere else. Setting some discrimination just to get the iron volume can really save the brain. I have been using a reactivity of 3 because I have been purposely taking the Deus into the iron. I have never been to a site where higher than three was needed.

I will end by telling you a funny one. Yesterday I hit a 92 VDI running in no discrimination. Silver pops into my brain right away. I hit the pinpoint button and get a spot. I can tell this one is deep. So I cut a plug and start with the Garrett Propointer. Nothing is picked up. I scan again with the Deus. Nothing! I ask myself what the heck is going on. I fill the hole and stomp the plug. About 10 minutes later I realize that I hit the right arrow button on the Deus changing programs by mistake. I must have done it coming out of pinpoint on the lost target hole. I went into a preset program that was set up not nearly as hot as I was running. I go back to the the stomped plug and a sweet 92. Down about 8 to 9 inches is a silver dime. The main thing I have noticed is any discrimination at all keeps you from hearing the deep ones.
May 01, 2012 10:15AM
Keith - Thanks, you really clarified a lot for me. I appreciate the iron comments and will add them to my memory. I heard the fuzzy sound (warble) on the iron but there is always that thought that it is a coin in iron, in the back of my mind. Sometimes I get a little bit of that fuzzy sound after or before a target and checking it in Deus Fast shows me it is iron nearby. Just have to start trusting what the machine is telling me, but I will dig a bit more to really learn the machine.

With iron, when you say "pull towards the edge a little from center and the iron grunt will come more powerful", do you mean with the sound or in pinpoint? I ask cause in pinpoin with many machines iron pulls off the center. With the Deus I often hear sounds, "off center" as well, so you can see my conundrum.

Yeah, I get the Deus isn't designed to be a coinshooter. Took me years to realize that with the T2! I'll give it a few months regarding being a coinshooter as the Deus is perfect in how it packs up and I can bring it with me when I travel. And of course, the iron is often heavy here in Europe, we'll see...

Thanks again, you got me a bit more inspired to learn what the machine is telling me.

Goodmore - Thanks for the video comment, they are fun (usually). The great thing is on the one hand I am trying to help others by sharing the sounds, screen, etc. (Clearly I don't know this machine well enough to help much). The great thing is when experienced users share thoughts with me from watching a video. That is sooooo much better than just a reply to a question. If a picture is worth a thousand words, what about a video? ;-)

Yeah, the E-Trac is still in my blood a bit. I am a visual person and that 2D screen I see probably like some people can hear tones... Very very much complimentary machines though. Learning the tones is coming but yeah, that is where it is at. I should leave the camera at home and just dig but I enjoy reviewing the videos as I learn a lot there. You get surprisingly good sound from them.

Thanks for the thoughts and funny story - nice background brain processing you got there, a bit like the hypnogic state before sleep (right before I fall asleep I often get spontaneous insights.)

Thx guys,
Albert
May 01, 2012 05:12PM
If the Deus is not good at coins then why are they doing so well in England..I know you have a lot of old iron there but you have all those freq to use I would think it would work well..the G2 loves coins what gives...maybe they need to tweek it for American ground

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 01, 2012 05:43PM
I was just thinking, since XP can add updates at will. I think it would be really really nice for the American coinshooting market (and European as well) to have an update where they open up the depth on VIDs, stabilize them and add more tones. Just do it as a Coins program or coins mode (on/off), or something like that. I am looking forward to that next update.

Interesting reply on another forum. RJM who is pretty well versed with his Deus said that he prefers to hunt in two tones as THE SIGNALS ARE CLEARER. Now, this got me thinking. How could this be true and is that somewhat true on the Omega as well?

Thx,
Albert
May 01, 2012 05:49PM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If the Deus is not good at coins then why are they
> doing so well in England..I know you have a lot of
> old iron there but you have all those freq to use
> I would think it would work well..the G2 loves
> coins what gives...maybe they need to tweek it for
> American ground

Hey Lawrenzo, Most of the European hunters from what I can tell are not hunting parks, though I do see a few using the Deus that way occasionally. They are DIGGING EVERYTHING that sounds good. They don't have modern trash to worry about for the most part.

After using the Deus for only 6 or so hours I can say it is super sensitive on small targets, even micro targets. That is not what your average coin hunter wants. Also, the VID jumps all over the place just like the T2 does, but the tones are very very steady and the machine run hot is much more stable than the T2 (a machine I used for years). In the States, though the T2 and F75 are quite capable on coins many people would prefer to use an Omega (me included) because it doesn't sound off on those small targets and it has a very stable VID, even at depth. As I said above, would be nice to add some stability to the VID for coin hunters. JMHO...
May 01, 2012 09:32PM
I like at least three tone. I need a mid tone for nickels and gold. OK at least gold.

And I have been finding more micro things also. Like I said in an earlier post "especially if they are round". Snaps off of shirts. Shell casings smaller than 22. Little washers. But the little stuff doesn't bother me too much. Some times the little stuff is a nice find also.

I would like to see the tones seperated from the discrimination in an update. I want to assign low tone to iron without having the discrimination being influenced.

I really enjoy the Deus. It is a detector with a strong talent for seperation.
May 01, 2012 09:37PM
goodmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like at least three tone. I need a mid tone for
> nickels and gold. OK at least gold.
>
> And I have been finding more micro things also.
> Like I said in an earlier post "especially if they
> are round". Snaps off of shirts. Shell casings
> smaller than 22. Little washers. But the little
> stuff doesn't bother me too much. Some times the
> little stuff is a nice find also.
>
> I would like to see the tones seperated from the
> discrimination in an update. I want to assign low
> tone to iron without having the discrimination
> being influenced.
>
> I really enjoy the Deus. It is a detector with a
> strong talent for seperation.

I agree. i'd like to run zero disc but be able to drop the volume on that iron range and now you can only drop the volume on iron when it is discd out. You essentially lose a tone when running disc. 5 tones would be nice, which would really amount to 4 the way disc is run now. It would be a nice option to have E-Trac like tones in conductive.