Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Gold rings on the SE

Posted by dewcon4414 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Gold rings on the SE
June 02, 2012 12:32PM
I was having a discussion on gold rings with Steve on another forum and thought this was interesting to see what you guys thought. I was using an Explorer SE, coil size SEF 12X10 sensitivity at 10 in AM. I dont know if there is anything to gain from these readings about the channels and how the slight freq changes affect the gold reading. But depth wise it does appear the lower channel allows for more depth. Since this was air tests these numbers might change and since its the FE reading on the small rings it could throw them in to the black sand tones you get off of wet sand with any depth.

I did a little gold testing today on just 9 rings. No. 1 is the smallest ring and 10 being the largest in both weight and size all these rings are 14K. Ive also indicated any ring that was white gold. I wont show all the channels but take a look and tell me what you think. The big thing for me was on ring 1. Its a .6 g 14K childs ring. I started out by drawing a pencil line on the rod of my SE where in channel 1 it came into a good range and used those lines coming off the ears on the coil as a consistant height. What i found was from channel 1 to 11 that small ring LOST 1 inch in depth. I could read the ring at 3 1/2 inches on channel 1, but on channel 11 it was down to 2 1/2 inches. Oddly the larger heavier ring read constant at 7 inches and didnt change. So heres some info....

Channel 1 Channel 6 Channel 11
1. 13-01 14-01 15-01
2. 12-01 12-01 13-01
3. 11-01 11-01 12-01
4. 13-01 14-01 17-01
5. 10-06 (w/g) 10-05 11-04
6. 08-16 08-12 09-10
7. 09-09 (w/g) 09-07 10-06
8. 09-09 09-08 10-06
9. 09-08 09-07 10-06

It appears to me that if you are looking for small gold and want to set you channel manually you would be best to set it closer to channel 1. If you want more consistant readings near the nickel range on larger rings..... set it at 11. Looks like channel 4 is where numbers begin changing on the larger rings.

Dew
Re: Gold rings on the SE
June 02, 2012 01:07PM
Just like a plumber tightens one pipe and loosens another change one facet and it changes other facets but indeed experimenting can lead to putting more of one type of target in the pouch and less of perhaps another. Personally just hit the noise cancel and it automatically gives me the best overhaul freq. for the area I am in and works for me.
In life always give and takeaways and thanks for sharing your results.
Just like those that dig more find more goodies those that experiment learn their units better and thats what I like about this forum as for the most part sharing forum members...
June 02, 2012 01:29PM
Thanks Dan. Its one of those ML secrets. I dont know why, but they dont want to share what the random settings are in each of these channels. So it keeps us all curious. I remember a post awhile back with someone trying to figure it out. No doubt about it if you have the endurance to dig it all you will get some surprises. One of those surprises might be.... you dug a lot of trash while other people covered more ground and ended up with your goodies lol. Its all about hunting style.

Dew
June 02, 2012 01:58PM
Dew.......... Thanks for this testing..............and............. most importantly........... this documentation.
June 02, 2012 02:01PM
Heck Ace 250 inexpensive at best certainly producing some good finds...Tesoro guys with beep and dig units grabbing the goodies...go figure..

Lets face it confidence has a lot to do with it and if one can afford it go for the best...

In my younger days would be standing in line also...right now old units for an old guy seems to fit....
June 02, 2012 03:41PM
Thanks very much Tom. I appreciate everyones contribution on here there are a lot of great information and people. You are right Dan there are some inexpensive machines that can find recent drops on a beach or coins in the park with the best of them. Im hoping one of these days they are going to put out some light endurable machines that make me want to put this ole heavy SE down. Confidence and attention span do have a lot to do with what you find.

Dew
June 02, 2012 05:43PM
The small, very low conductive (01-04) gold rings can have very high ferrous values in mineralized beach sands when they are at depth. A large percentage of the ones that I recovered had a ferrous value of 35 on the E-trac. As a matter of fact, most of the very small non-ferrous targets recovered at this beach had ferrous values 30+. Unlike the SE, Noise Cancel #11 on the E-trac appears to be more sensitive to small low conductive targets than the lower Noise Cancel numbers.

Here’s a post on air tests using coins to show how the Noise Cancel number can affect the conductivity value of coins. The Minelab 8” coil and the Procoil have consistent target ID values regardless of the Noise Cancel # on air tests. While other brand coils of different sizes will vary.

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
June 02, 2012 08:09PM
Interesting the Pro coil gives consistant readings on the ET also and that its reversed for sensitivity..... may be why they have a little better TID. That was a pretty good read thanks.
June 03, 2012 08:09AM
Yes, Digs_alot -- thanks...some interesting info there that you provided, regarding the Pro Coil or 8" Minelab coil on the E-Trac being so consistent -- no matter the noise cancel channel.

In my discussion with dewcon on the other forum, he was testing gold rings, while I was testing nickels. My testing was with the SunRay X-5 coil on my Explorer. The root of this, for me, was that one day recently, I noticed all the nickels I dug were reading noticeably higher than usual. Some thinking and testing, and I was finally able to relate this back to noise cancel channel -- the lower the noise cancel channel, the higher the nickels would read. The difference from channel 1 to channel 11 was roughly "2" units, on the CO scale. Dewcon noted the same thing with larger gold rings, that read in the "nickel range." From all of this, I have learned to be aware of what noise cancel channel my machine chooses at a given site; before, I'd noise cancel and then start hunting. Now, I noise cancel, and then enter the menu system to see what "channel" the machine chose; this allows me to make the necessary mental adjustments and thus know with some certainty where most nickels will read, on that day.

I would like to note that while ID numbers are not "gospel," of course, and I generally hunt by sound, I DO pay more attention to them when getting nickelish-sounding hits -- as there is SO much trash (beaver tails, pull tabs, some older square tabs) that sound/read so similarly. That's why this "noise cancel" thing is most interesting to me. But, while "an ID number change" is an interesting implication to be aware of, dewcon's findings, regarding the loss of depth on small gold rings at higher noise cancel channels, makes this issue all the more intriguing, from my perspective...

There's definitely more of an effect than I used to think, regarding the selection of the different noise cancel channels. I previously had assumed it to make very little difference WHICH channel the machine chose, as my understanding were that these were just minute frequency changes that would not affect detecting; I'm now forced to re-think that, and I have no idea why Minelab would not offer some of this info (and any possible other items of note regarding noise cancel channel changes) to the user.

Steve
June 03, 2012 12:47PM
For me steve its the depth on these small targets. I keep my coil on the sand but an inch at sensitivity 10.... that was pretty significant for what im looking for. Means you cant be out there swinging 4 inches off the sand and expect to hit these things. Also, as i moved up the channels and checked them at my set line..... id move them back to check depth, those digitial readings remained pretty consistant. It was like the depth loose affected the reading causing the changes. At least i have learned something useful. Thanks Steve for bringing it up.

Dew
Stick with 11 for the beach
June 05, 2012 12:36PM
ExpII...at. 9

SePro...at 11

Ctx3030....whatever max. Number is....11 or higher...inboundtter fri....report to follow...see note

Tiny everything wiill follow.

Tiny...brass...copper...alum...deep deep dimes.

NOTE

3030... I am not expecting a wonder machine...what I am hoping for is faster processor and better i.d. On deeper targets...I am tone hunter so the screen will be fun to watch...gps..maps..probably never use...wireless I like it...I think we just have a kinda suped up etrac in waterproofed shell.....more to follow

<")))))<>(
June 06, 2012 12:35AM
You need to bust out some of that MAD money you have socked away MAX. Max my problem with 11 is the loose of depth..... we dont have a lot of minerals here so an inch or so loose is a lot. Now with 11 what it did do is move the tones to a level that didnt sound like low salt tones on those small targets. Hey Max you running Auto sensitivity on the beach up there? Also.... im not running a Pro coil and someone mentioned it might be more consistant thru the channels than my SEF.

Dew
June 06, 2012 04:12AM
I'm encouraged...

Today I was hunting, noise cancel channel 6 for what it's worth, trying to dig low tones that might have a chance at being gold. After digging a bunch of the usual pull tabs and such, I hit one target -- don't remember the numbers, but I remember thinking "this just sounds different...doesn't sound like any pull tab or can slaw...there's something different here..." So, I dug it, and it turned out to be an oval-shaped lead fishing weight! No idea how this lead weight got in this park, as this spot is nowhere near any fishing spots -- BUT, I was encouraged that -- while registering digitally like much of the can slaw and pull tabs I had been digging, there was a different, unique sound to this sinker. Not sure if that will carry over, such that a gold ring will be recognizable like that, or not...

Steve
June 06, 2012 11:58AM
The ones ive found in the park were distinct in tone.... but...like the lead weight you only notice it AFTER you dig it. That seems to be when the light goes on.... on the beach they sound really good to me. I get to know what lead sounds like after digging tons of it..... but i still dig every one of those unique tones.

Dew
Gray matter - aka lead sinkers
June 06, 2012 12:15PM
I dig so many..omg

Small solid lead ones sound different than large.

Sm ones with thin brass eyes sound different...lg ones with larger brass eyes. Different.....lead headed casting baits with steel hooks......crazy.
U can learn a lot from sinkers.

Dew.......u talk of tiny bras..copper...alum and the SePro hits on them hard....for sure and gold ring size targets even better.

I use auto 32 90% of the time.....15 manual with wot.......10x12 sef. Last few weeks @ auto32 also.....at lease 4 or more inches deeper than excal.

<")))))<>(
June 07, 2012 12:37AM
You have a lot more minerals up there Max than we do. Yet there is no doubt the Exp is deeper on high tones down here. Its kind of like Joe, OBN, said PP is deeper up there than disc.... not so much down here. Max have you ever used the LEARN and disc out just pennies? Ive tested a lot of gold on the SE and have yet to find any that hits there. Its pretty surprising how well the learn works on these machines. The one thing i like about the Xcal thou is there are fewer tones and distinct. you get into the 12-01 tones and it sounds a lot like the salt water sand down here near the surf.

Dew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2012 01:00AM by dewcon4414.
dew
June 07, 2012 03:10AM
many many big gold class rings hit right in the penny range - i notched out dimes and pennies one summer and had a iffy penny hit top ot damp zone - so i decide to dig it, knowing all along it is penny.

10k collegr ring. came home and went to lowtide tim's house and testing some of his big class rings and sure nuffffffff......sepro with pennies notch out...small curser would not hit the big gold. i thnk most of them are loaded with copper so that must be the reason.....
one of my main reasons for the ctx3030 is to be able to block out the pennies and hopefully be able to hit the big 10krings.

i will let u know very soon

<")))))<>(
just saw this - i do not know this fellow, but i do watch some of his vids
June 07, 2012 03:12AM
June 07, 2012 06:12AM
Very interesting video, gravediggermax...

Exactly the opposite findings from dewcon, regarding the inch of depth on an Explorer.

An Explorer loses an inch of depth going from noise cance channel 1 UP to channel 11 on a very small gold ring (01 conductive number), where the E-Trac loses an inch of depth going from channel 11 DOWN to channel 1?

Could Minelab have flip-flopped the characteristics of the noise cancel channels, when developing the E-Trac (as compared to the Explorer?)

Hmm...

Steve