Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My CTX 3030 Initial Impressions & O-Ring fix LONG POST

Posted by Chris Woods 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
My CTX 3030 Initial Impressions & O-Ring fix LONG POST
June 07, 2012 02:32AM
I will preface this post by saying that I DO NOT think this machine is the end all be all, greatest thing since sliced bread. I own an E-Trac, F75 LTD, Nautilus DMC-IIB, Whites V3i and hopefully tomorrow a DEUS. I recently had to give up a "hobby" that I had for 30 years and selling off the equipment from that enabled me to buy the CTX and the Deus. Normally I would agree with Dan and say that learning one machine at a time is the best way to go but I am going to try and learn these two simultaneously and see which is easier to pick up. I am guessing the fact that I have experience on the E-Trac will make picking up the CTX a little easier. Mainly, I am out to see if the CTX should replace the E-Trac and if the Deus should replace the F75.

The CTX arrived today and it was all I could do to not leave work and rush home to check it out. When I did get home, I re-read parts of the manual and headed out to the deck to re-create what I call "Keith's dime in the crack" test. He posted it here sometime back and I have used it as an impromptu test on several detectors. Admittedly it does not recreate "in ground" conditions but, to me anyway, it is an excellent test for a detector's ability to separate ferrous and non-ferrous targets in extremely close proximity to each other. It is also pretty "controlled" as long as you place the dime in the same location each time you set up the test. You can see Keith's video here [www.youtube.com] it consists of placing a dime on edge between to boards on a deck and attempting to "see" the dime.

The Positive stuff first:
1. The E-trac, when set up properly will sound off on the dime but pinpointing it is almost impossible. The CTX will also hit it, I think better than the E-trac but that may be my desire to rationalize the money spent. Be that as it may, the target trace and target trace pinpoint features are unbelievably cool. Using the Minelab wiggle I was able to center in on the dime between two nails without pinpointing. While pinpointing, it allowed me to see the dime and the nails on either side of it. During all of this, I think the Ferrous-Coin target separation made a difference but I want to futz with it more before making a definite decision.
I then laid the dime on top of a deck board between two of the nails and as expected the CTX had no trouble picking it up with a clear aural and visual signal.

2. Call me a geek but I love the GPS functionality. A couple of the areas I hunt are big (one 110 acres and one 2000 acres) and the only way to get around them is on foot or 4WD. They are comprised of heavy woods and a few fields and no one else hunts them. I have found several home sites and what I think was a black smith's shop that are not marked other than on my GPS. Having this functionality built into the detector means there is one less gadget I have to carry and that is fine by me.

3. The fact that it is waterproof will also be a positive at these sites when crossing creeks or during a sudden downpour.

4. I love the wireless feature, the location of the pinpoint trigger as opposed to the pad on the E-Trac, and as others have said the balance makes it feel a lot lighter than it actually is. The cam lock also feels much sturdier than those on the E-Trac.
As a side note, I think the Xchange2 software is a big improvement over the last version for the E-Trac as well.

Now for the negative stuff:
1. The battery o-ring was hanging out of it's groove when I removed the component from the box. I used a VERY small amount of silicone grease on the o-ring and re-installed it and now I can't shake it out. This grease can be bought in small tubes at a variety of stores. It is clear and will not damage the housing or the o-ring. If you try this I can't emphasize enough how little of this grease is needed to do the job. When you're finished applying it the o-ring should just be shiny, not "gommed" with grease. I use it daily at work on vacuum vessel o-rings and a small tube will last for many months.

2. Having to slide the "brain box" back to connect or disconnect the coil is a pain but short of buying accessory coils I can't see it being done often.

3. The fact that the wired headphone adapter is not waterproof is a drag. I don't know if I could have designed it better but there has got to be a way.

4. It is a petty thing but I hate the full volume jingle that plays every time you boot this thing. I think it is louder than the one on the E-Trac and I don't like it either.

That's about it so far. I apologize for being so long winded but sitting down to type things like this helps me to better get my mind around what I have learned and maybe some of this will be useful to anyone considering the purchase of the CTX.

HH
Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2012 03:30AM by Neugene.
kewl - thanks
June 07, 2012 03:17AM
i hope mine rolls in tomorrow
Re: My CTX 3030 Initial Impressions & O-Ring fix LONG POST
June 07, 2012 01:32PM
Neugene nice post and we need more of them...I think a smart guy would make a folder of such posts to sort of have a jump start on a new unit when and if purchased.

You fellows must have better retention than I as using several especially new units at one time would leave me brain dead.

Judging by my use of several of the Explorer models feel in time once the guys get rolling with these new units a lot of nice finds will be made as the Explorer series in its own right is a fabulous unit and in the right hands is a silver coin magnet.
June 07, 2012 03:12PM
Thanks for the mini review Chris. The thing you listed there that worries me a bit is having to slide the box back to change coils. I don't switch coils often and won't even buy one (6" will be my first) for a bit, but the time it takes and fiddling in tight seems like it might be a bit of a pain.

Look forward to more comments,
Albert
June 07, 2012 09:24PM
Good to document it on a forum............. as this allows:

Others to learn/share/review
And for YOU to have a documented basis in which to return/remember