Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Extremely dry ground hunting strategy

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Extremely dry ground hunting strategy
July 05, 2012 06:39PM
We'll folks here in Middle Tn it's bone dry and the ground is like concrete. Until this changes, I've opted to hunt using my 6x8 sef coil on the etrac and 5" inch on the f75se concentrating on areas I've had some success on using the standard larger coils. I figure this will cut down on the depth I have to dig. This morning early before the 100 degree heat moved using the etrac with 6x8 coil I struck an IH and merc dime in a spot just off an old house steps I've hit 5 times with the whites V3i with 10dd coil and 4 times each with the etrac with procoil and 10x12 sef. I was using conductive audio and get this both coins were around 4 inches deep. Smaller coils do have their places it seems. Sound like a good strategy??
Re: Extremely dry ground hunting strategy
July 05, 2012 07:18PM
it's an excellent strategy!
i am using exclusively the 5"
dd coil on my f-75! all i hunt are "junked"
sites and sidewalk easements i hunt whether it's hot,or not!
couple hours every day! do allright as the 'little guy"
will still get down 6" or so even in "cooked" ground!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
July 06, 2012 02:04PM
It's an excellent strategy. During the past week, I've been hitting some areas hard with the Compadre and the 5.75 inch coil. I am hunt confidently knowing that I won't have to dig any deeper than 6 inches. Also, the light weight of the detector aides during the hotter times of the day.

Pinpoint twice, dig once
July 06, 2012 04:31PM
I'll wait for cooler temperatures and rain. The targets I'm after have been in the ground 100 plus years. A couple of weeks or months makes no difference. When the weather doesn't cooperate with detecting I switch to research and finding new places. I read new product reviews. I look for better accessories. Plenty to keep me busy.