Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Newbie find

Posted by markg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Newbie find
July 15, 2012 11:51AM
This guy (Jack) had just bought a used metal detector at a local yard sale. Nothing fancy, but it worked. His brother in-law (James of 25 years detecting experience) took him out for his 2nd hunting trip. James explained the importance of going slow and using proper coil control and off they went. Well back to the story, the gentleman (James) with 25 years experience went ahead of him to demonstrate proper technic and Jack followed swinging the cheap detector. Not more than 30 minutes into the hunt, Jack came upon a pair of sun glasses that James had failed to pickup or move out of the way. Well not picking them up he kicked them out of his path and swung over the area and got a very low volume beep. Thinking it was most likely a piece from the glasses he stopped to investigate a little closer. He said the signal was very small and unless the coil was in just the right position he could not hear the faint beep. After several minutes of work he finally located the target, a gold clasp of a chain, gently pulling he found it was buried stretched out about 1/4" below the ground. After recovering the full length necklace they all tried their detectors and were amazed at the fact only the clasp could be heard and one of the machines could not find it all. I must add all the detectors used were from the very low end of what we would consider todays standard machine. Final note, Jacks wife became the owner and wearer of a nice gold necklace.
Hope all enjoyed this little story.
Re: Newbie find
July 15, 2012 12:53PM
Inspiring.

(((and gained additional kitchen-passes))).
July 15, 2012 01:26PM
For what its worth even the most expensive units have problems with small gold and gold chains are usually found with large clasps or perhaps a medalion attached.

For you water hunters find a medalion by itself...put your unit in all metal and check the area closely for the chain which may be lurking..

PS: diamond ring should further increase your passes...
July 15, 2012 02:01PM
Dan.... im with you about checking an area. Even if i get an area where it looks like floaters settle..... after i get them all, i switch to AM and do a nice sweep. Its sure irratating when you find one of those small neckless pieces..... cause you KNOW the chain is there. Drives me nuts. Not knowing because we cant pick them up well makes you wonder..... are there really that many lost and over looked? Kind of like rings in a park..... because of the trash some believe its loaded with jewelry.... but is it?

Dew
July 15, 2012 02:30PM
Thousands of people use our 100 year old park every year including multi thousands for a july 4th fireworks....loaded no but gold jewelry to be had as even though park is heavily detected most is walked over...and the coins collected by most..
Takes a lot of patience with all the junk but those that investigate and make that extra dig whether it be a method to cut down the odds, gut feeling or just plain luck get some but leave a lot and lets not forget the 60 years or so when not detected and gold was cheap...Just might be a 20's class ring over the next hill...
July 15, 2012 10:31PM
When I was younger I had a nice gold chain. I had a nice gold cross on it as well. I had it on all the time. First I lost the Cross - never did find it and had no idea where it was lost. Next I lost the Chain. I felt it fall took me for ever to find it and I knew where it fell in the grass. Later if fell off and I did not remember were it came off. And I am not a big Jewelry Girl so my guess is there is a lot of gold chains and other stuff out there that is being walked over all the time. I do not dig foil unless it is co located near a good target. So my guess is I have had a beep that would of been Gold. I think the easy of Digging is the major advantage of Beach Hunters - it is not that hard to dig it all.

Bryanna

Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thousands of people use our 100 year old park
> every year including multi thousands for a july
> 4th fireworks....loaded no but gold jewelry to be
> had as even though park is heavily detected most
> is walked over...and the coins collected by
> most..
> Takes a lot of patience with all the junk but
> those that investigate and make that extra dig
> whether it be a method to cut down the odds, gut