Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Just exactly what's in higher mineralized soil

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Just exactly what's in higher mineralized soil
July 28, 2012 08:15PM
Just exactly what's in medium to high mineralized soil that's not in mild mineralized soil? What are the exact elements? And let's say you have a site that has nails that were deposited 150-200 years ago and may have started to decompose. Do these decomposed nails raise the mineralization level in the soil? And if they are not decomposed do they still have the "effect" of raising the mineralization level of the soil i.e. trying to detect a deep coin by a group of nails? I've only been detecting for a period of 2 years and I always welcome information that may help me understand the ground better. I have learned a lot in the last 2 years by detecting, reading forums, and dwelling on what little I remember from from my school years. It does seem though understanding the ground matrix better is key to better detecting.
Re: Just exactly what's in higher mineralized soil
July 28, 2012 11:30PM
On inland sites bad soil has lots of iron ore content...which is magnetic soil...

Magnetite ,,,,Fe3O4

Clays also have lots of iron ore content ...especially the red clays like are predominant here in the Southern States...

Plus clays are very dense and that also retards signal penetration somewhat...So red clay is double dangerous...

yes I would say decomposed iron will cause a more harsh soil environ....200 years maybe not as bad as the 2000 years in Europe on say a Roman Site..

they dont dig alot of nails because they have decomposed for over 2,000 years into iron oxide ...and also the sites are littered with broken potter vessel's which are high in iron content and even lead glazes....so the definately have theyre hands full ona contaminated roman site I would beleive jsut from human habitation...

Keith
July 29, 2012 12:22AM
So Keith, is this soil density you mention also relate to the ground being moist or dry. And to also ask. Say it rains a couple inches and the ground is soaked. What effects are caused by the excessive moisture? Or maybe better asked, "Will my detector see deeper in soaking wet ground as opposed to moist or dry"?
July 29, 2012 12:52AM
Hey sharpshooter!

Not sure you have ever heard soil density mentioned before....but it does attenute the signal when compared to a loamy soil even of the same Fe3o4 reading...

And yes to be Honest on my in fied experiences RED wet clay is harder to hunt especially in all metal...I believe it really excites the iron oxide and creates a more radiant soil...I.e interferes more...I like dry clay but not dead summer brick clay you cant dig in because it's like concrete....But I have some target's right now I have found in a spot I can not dig and they sound pretty dang good but will have to wait till fall when the ground loosens back up....

now loamy dirt...Does seem to give a little bit more after a soaking rain...but I cant say 100%...But seems to...

Think of this as another option...

Hunt the next morning after an intense evening electrical storm and find target's you have missed in a hunted hard site.....I have done this.

The Earth's surface and the atmosphere conduct electricity easily the Earth is charged negatively and the atmosphere, positively. There is always a steady current of electrons flowing upwards from the entire surface of the earth. Thunderstorms help transfer the negative charges back to earth

Is it the ground is electrified from the storm or is it the air is sanitiazed of sporadic electrical wave's?I dont know myself.....

Think of this hunt on a full moon cycle can you find more? Some people swear by it...

Metal detectors are just radio trasmitter's and reciever's...some thing's help conductance and some thing's harm conductance...

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2012 02:52AM by Keith Southern.
July 29, 2012 11:45AM
Keith or anyone with an understanding of this -

I'm in Germany and the ground is somewhat iron mineralized. I still can hunt my E-Trac and now CTX at max sensitivity (and my T2, Omega, V3i & Deus in the past). I get another 1" or so of depth though the crosshairs get bouncy (depending on the ground setting, the ferrous coin setting on the CTX all but fixes that). I'm wondering, since I can run so hot BUT since I seem to be maxing out around 9" or so in depth, do you think this is more due to iron mineralization, iron flakes (I do notice lots of iron overall in the ground) or a combination of the two? (Of note, I recently dug two pull tabs at 10" and 11" in a lighter, sandier soil that I pulled quite a few 9" coins from). The iron mineralization just doesn't seem terrible. I could get close to 7" of depth with the Omega but the T2 and V3i seemed to have problems at the 6"-7" level.

To give a better picture of the soil, here are some average readings from some of the machines:

T2 - GB 50-60, Fe3O4 3 - 4 bars, .1-.3
Omega - GB 65, Fe3O4 1 - 2 bars
V3i - 1%-3%, -92 to -93 VDI (very high number)
Deus - GB 85-90, Bars 1/4 to 1/2 at times

I'm hoping to use this information to of course better my hunting and improve upon my settings.

Thanks!
Albert
July 29, 2012 01:23PM
It is obvious that your lighter sandy soil has less mineralization (compared to your dirt conditions)...... subsequently, better depth and ID is realized. It is 'HOW' the Minelab (electronic architect) processes your mineralization.... that allows for increased performance..... through cancelling/ignoring the dirt.
July 29, 2012 01:48PM
Tom, what has been interesting and I've mentioned it to be fair, the strip that I really pulled a lot more coins with the CTX compared to the E-Trac the soil was sandier. I did pull more coins with the CTX overall that the E-Trac missed or perhaps couldn't hit on, but the results were no where as dramatic as in that sandier strip.

My above question though, is the general readings I see in my local hunt areas. And I wonder about the iron mineralization vs. iron flakes and their effects. I go "remember" you said iron flakes cause targets to up average - so I don't think my 9" limit is related to iron flakes, as they would help?
July 29, 2012 05:20PM
Yes...... in general,,,, the basic principle of electromagnetic physics is that flecks/flakes of oxidized iron can (usually) 'up-average' the ID of many targets........... until the depth is too deep............... unto which THEN ... the non-ferrous targets will ID as 'iron'....... IF they are still detectable.

The 'volume' of rust flakes ..................... vs ......................... the 'volume' of mineralization: is a 'vague' term.............. and is too difficult to gauge which one out-trumps the other. In any case........... they are both 'negatives'....... hindering ID and depth-of-detection.