Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

tectorist finds a rare gold coin of richard 3rd reign

Posted by diggers 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
tectorist finds a rare gold coin of richard 3rd reign
November 21, 2017 03:27PM
[www.antiquestradegazette.com]

Rare Richard III gold coin found by metal detectorist near Bosworth Field comes to auction

If you want a gold coin to have rarity value, then an example from a monarch whose reign lasted only a couple of years is a good start.
Re: tectorist finds a rare gold coin of richard 3rd reign
November 21, 2017 05:33PM
Quote: "the coin was deep down, about 16 inches and the soil there was heavy clay and it took a lot of digging to get it out!"

Now where was I reading about another 16" deep coin???
'this sixteen inches stuff is catching!' Will we be hearing even more when the EQX gets out there??? Lol..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2017 05:35PM by Des D.
November 21, 2017 06:08PM
The Half Angel is 20mm diameter ( US 1 cent = 19mm) and weighs 40 grains = 2.6 grams, similar to a 'zinc' cent. It's thickness will be one third that of the cent. So not an easy target.... 6 inches is plausible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2017 08:45PM by Pimento.
November 21, 2017 06:42PM
Great find indeed but the coin was no more than 11 inches at the very most,more likely in the 6-9 inch range, I thought pinpointers had all but eliminated these crazy depth claims..grinning smiley
November 21, 2017 07:54PM
'Just did a quick Air Test with a few copper coins same as or smaller than a US quarter and a full gold sovereign.
Nearest teccy to hand was an X-Terra 705 standard 9" concentric coil.

At a 'measured' 7", the gold sovereign air tested better than an Indian head penny and just a tad behind the quarter sized copper coin, a Russian one I think and quite thin date 1854

A silver dime and two copper coins smaller than the IH didn't air test any sound @ 7"

So it seems the 'density' and let's call it 'pure' density of the gold coin though smaller than the larger copper produced a signal 'intensity' equal to the bigger coin despite being smaller in diameter. You'll always hear anecdotal accounts of people 'knowing' a target [ was a gold item ] even before recovery.
Gold 'does' produce a really rich and full tonal signal and if a person has good hearing and used to hearing lots of signals, then gold can certainly 'sound different!'

But the person in question here hadn't even a full year under her belt so was 'an inexperienced user!'

So where did the alleged 16 inches come from?

IMHO, she might have 'mistaken the time it took to recover it with greater depth?'
The soil was heavy clay and if anyone saw Brandin Niece' Roman coin recovery with the 'Equinox', that is / was the kind of really sticky, heavy and hard to shift soil she alleged to have been in?

Then, you have to account for the detector model? Is it capable of 16 inches? Was it a larger coil, 15" or greater?
If those criteria are ruled out then IMHO very much doubt that the coin was recovered from the alleged 16 inches?
But, a doubt remains and that is, due to it being a gold coin and probably a pure form example, maybe it did produce [ a more intense ] signal sound so as James1969 suggested, might more realistically have been at the 9" to 11" depth?"
November 21, 2017 10:50PM
Perhaps they failed to mention that the coin was found in a hubcap that they also recovered at the same time. >grinning smiley< LOL

Rich -

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
November 21, 2017 11:05PM
Not her fault---Hubby told her it was 16 inches.
November 21, 2017 11:23PM
How would you like to dig something like that!!

1 inch or 20 inches who cares..LOL

Alot of times on those deepeis like that the target you heard to begin with is in the spoil pile on the first shovel full out and you check hole and still hear a target..

Man I got to get over seas and hunt when I retire...I want to rent a place for about six months and do some recon work!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
November 21, 2017 11:29PM
I know the lady who found it she was she attends our club digs with her husband she uses a Golden Mask 5 + i will ask her how she knew it was 16 inches deep.
November 21, 2017 11:51PM
sanjuro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know the lady who found it she was she attends o
> ur club digs with her husband she uses a Golden Ma
> sk 5 + i will ask her how she knew it was 16 inche
> s deep.

'Great idea. But, you might discover it was 'the Press' and some 'fake news!' They're good at not being truthful!!! Sounds more 'exciting' doesn't it?"
November 22, 2017 12:20AM
Sanjuro: You're a metaldetectingforum.co.uk user .... is the ladies husband 'PistolPete" on there?
Detectorist finds a rare gold coin of richard 3rd reign
November 22, 2017 12:30AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> How would you like to dig something like that!!
>
>
> Man I got to get over seas and hunt when I retire.
> ..I want to rent a place for about six months and
> do some recon work!!
>
> Keith

Ditto here Keith. I bet at least SEVERAL from this forum would join you in a UK adventure.

Rich -

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
November 22, 2017 02:37AM
Pimento Wrote:
> Sanjuro: You're a metaldetectingforum.co.uk user .
> ... is the ladies husband 'PistolPete" on there?

I do not know if he is i only know his real name i have the couples email address here i will try to find out.
November 22, 2017 08:56AM
Its a possibility that it was found at 16'' but more than likely just media hyping the story up as they usually do,grabbing folks attention for the auction.
November 22, 2017 09:38AM
its been pulled so heres another shot

[www.rugbyadvertiser.co.uk]
November 23, 2017 12:03AM
Pimento Wrote:
> Sanjuro: You're a metaldetectingforum.co.uk user .
> ... is the ladies husband 'PistolPete" on there?

I asked the lady and she said no it is not her husband
December 15, 2017 02:01AM
The coin just sold for £40,000

gold coin sale
December 15, 2017 04:59AM
Pretty cool find. heck I would be a happy camper just to find any gold coin .
December 15, 2017 05:11AM
More like it was found at 16cm / about 6 and a 1/4 inches, and maybe someone transposed the measuring units,

just a thought, ?.
December 15, 2017 09:45AM
I'd agree.

auminesweeper Wrote:
> More like it was found at 16cm / about 6 and a 1/4
> inches, and maybe someone transposed the measurin
> g units,
>
> just a thought, ?.
December 15, 2017 10:06AM
I really don't care at what depth it was found. I care that it was found. Awesome find!