Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Heres a Video I did today for the AT-PRO unmasking in nails

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Heres a Video I did today for the AT-PRO unmasking in nails
September 20, 2012 12:26AM
Shows the ability of the 5x8 DD BT coil...

Also show's how when you get down to the last bit the iron audio 'ON' will get some more...

[www.youtube.com]

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2012 01:35AM by Keith Southern.
Re: Heres a Video I did today for the AT-PRO unmasking in nails
September 20, 2012 12:41AM
Thanks Keith nice video! The AT is one of the best I've used in iron and 33 is what I also run and its a killer in the iron trash. The AT Pro has become my favorite detector to use in trash infested areas.
September 20, 2012 01:42AM
Very good capture.
September 20, 2012 02:31AM
Awesome video!!!!! Can't wait to put that technique to the test in a couple of spots in particular. In fact, I did some this evening. One thing I noticed Keith: that at 28 (with iron audio off) the square nails only chirp and crackle. This was just an observation as I kept raising disrimination until, when sweeping the coil, the normal barrage of sound dropped off to the pop and crackle mode. Anyway, I went ahead and took my discrimination up to 33 and pushed iron audio on. I dug EVERYTIME I got a mid tone sound. So far, they have been nails with points, or slightly larger pieces, or rather globs, of iron. It got dark before I could really get down and grid the small camp site systematically. I DO BELIEVE that this site meets your criteria of being "down to the last bit". I look forward to finishing this site out in this mode. MY ONLY concern, is that the relics MAY possible be deeper than the small coil can detect and STILL get at least a mid tone. I remember when I first started pulling bullets and buttons from this site, the first few times, I would dig a plug (with a long handles but small scooped floral shovel from ace hardware) and the bullet or button could THEN be detected with the Pro Pointer stuck in the hole. Removing another one to two inches of dirt would be required to retreive the target. Reckon how this technique would work with the large stock coil??? With the added depth (and the larger coil DOES acquire test garden targets deeper than the smaller) do you reckon that might solve my problem IF it is truly a problem, and not just a twisted theory in my head??? From sweeping the coil today, I could tell that there are still plenty of square nails in the ground.
Sometimes I wish that they mad a magnet SO STRONG....that one could suspend it on wheels about two inches over the ground and it just SUCK ALL FERROUS items plumb out of the ground. Of course, that is absolutly wishful thinking, but I just wonder if those magnets that I have seen on cranes that they use to move entire automobiles at junkyards would be strong enough to pull nails from 4 to 6 inches down out of wet ground. Just pipe dreams.
Anyway, back to the real world: Thanks for that video. It was extremely helpful.
September 20, 2012 03:13AM
Hey Kevin!

I could never hunt iron nails with a 28 disc unless they were of the smaller variety like horseshoe size...

I can get away with 31/32 with iron audio off but with it on it works best at 33.Actually it unmask better with iron audio on at 33 than with it off at 31/32...

It takes a different avenue it seems with the iron audio on...Not night and day but just enough to give more of a fuller report...

Dot worry much about the depth in the nails....it is very hard to get depth in nails ....thers lot's of finds in a nail site that is jsut surface to 6 inches and that 5x8 DD BT will do very well...The big coil is nice aslo and works very well and is a little deeper but it cant separate like the 5x8 ...

One other thing I should mention is I was trying to focus on the gold coin in the nails,

but also notice that the other coins are heard quite easily...Theres only 4-5 machine's I have found out of dozens and dozens that can accomplish this feat on the nickle and higher coin's..So even though there high freq's and high end machine's the ability to set your tone break and couple it with a DD elliptical coil is huge....

The DEUS will do it, The g2/Gold Bug will do it...the GMP will do it...The xterra 705 will do it with the elliptical DD 18.75 coil and the AT-Gold and AT-PRO...
And one low freq sleeper...the Musketeer will hit them....

But the AT is the only one I have seen hit the Gold coin......and then it's 5x8 DD BT dependent..but still thats an eye opener...

I can honestly say the AT-PRO in iron with the 5x8 communicates very well...Best I have seen for iron infestation tonal wise...I.D. is awfull accurate too...

I hope when Garrett come's out with a upper end unit they keep the AT audio on the unit.

Keith
September 20, 2012 04:06AM
Man this is just awesome. It gives me much confidence in my unit! And that means alot. Tomorrow morning I'm going to where i found the gold dollar. It is fairly nail infested, only not quite as much as today's site. I'm feeling real good about tomorrow after this educationl experience and confidence booster. Again.......MANY thanks!!! And I mean it.
wjs
September 21, 2012 10:14PM
I done a video of some live digs one time using the iron audio. It does work pretty good.

[www.youtube.com]
September 22, 2012 02:51PM
wjs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I done a video of some live digs one time using
> the iron audio. It does work pretty good.
>
>
>
> [www.youtube.com]

WJS, I subcribed to your videos and watched that very video a while back and it is an awesome video!!! You do some of the best "live dig" types of videos that I have seen. I don't mane to hijack Keith's thread, as Keith has helped me immeasureably in this hobby, but I have wanted to compliment you on your videos for some time and didn't realize that you were a member here at Dankowski's forum, which is my primary forum for this sport. I noticed too, that you were woking the nails with the large coil. The AT Pro is simply QUITE a machine!!!!! In fact, I am going to town right now and doing some detecting. I am getting abit frustrated at my lack of spots and ALMOST prepared to just get out and hunt and then pay a tresspassing fine. NO...Just kidding. I won't put metal detectorists in a bad light. I'll ask first. Wish me luck. This thread has motivated me to get out and swing.
wjs
September 23, 2012 09:26PM
Thanks for the comments Kevin. Let us know how you do. I only replied to add to the thread on the subject not to hijack it either.............;o)
September 26, 2012 09:42PM
Great video. Adding an AT Pro to my lineup for a backup land/water unit, but man the "beep/chirp" type audio of detectors like that I've never been fond of. Don't see how people can analyze a target's worth with such short little reports. Cut my teeth on the Whites with the long detailed audio and the short processed audio of my FBS units was one thing I wasn't very happy about in contrast. The GT is like the long detailed (but even more longer and detailed) audio of the best of the Whites, but with the numerous tone alerts of the Minelabs. Like a Minelab had a bastard child with the best of the Whites or even the cream of the crop old analog units in terms of audio. :') That beep/chirp/dig aspect to the AT Pro is one thing I'm going have a hard time getting used to, but as a backup water unit for finer gold chains/earrings, or for use on land on rainy days or on days I want to swing faster through heavy trash/iron, I guess I'll learn to like the audio of it. I just don't see anything out there in it's price range that will water/land hunt and also has full function LCD screen and tone alerts, so I'll force myself to get used to the "beep and dig" type audio no matter what.

I was hunting a few weeks back with a newbie showing him the ropes. He had a F series Fisher. I just couldn't get over how tiny and grainy the audio was. I don't see how anybody can derive target traits from that audio, and most of us know that in terms of finding the goodies audio is king and VDI is of way secondary importance.

Again, great video though. When I pick up the AT Pro I'll go through all your old videos to see what you can teach me about the machine...
September 27, 2012 01:25AM
Keith, I been at 31 for a year and a half, I'll put it on 33 and try it all fall, thanks for the tip, it makes sense