Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Strange Tones

Posted by ozzie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Strange Tones
October 07, 2012 07:06PM
I was out on a old farm field yesterday with the cz3d. Disc mode set at zero, sens at 5.
Certain random areas on the field, roughly a yard square, the cz sounded off with high tones. They were not the typical high tones and I couldn't get an exact location on the targets. They were tad longer than the normal bink/tink sound and they faded to a whisper. The pinpoint would sound, but would stray, like the target was large, so the first few areas I decided to walk on without inspecting.

Then, finally thought I'd dig up an area, to possibly see the culprit. Turns out they were iron nails standing perpendicular to the earth, several of them at different depths. Heck, I'm not certain if it were the nails position, along with the halo effect or just the nails, or if something else added to the strange tones.

Anyone ever come across this?

Pretty neat how the cz has little variations in its tones when targets are out of the norm....If only my hearing was more acute so I could take full advantage of what the cz is telling me.
Re: Strange Tones
October 08, 2012 01:19AM
Hey Ozzie sorry can"t help was just curious where you turn the volume to boost or 5(or below) ? Most times i go to just under 5 never get to precise with it maybe i should?
October 08, 2012 02:40AM
Try a different ground balance setting........ to see if you achieve greater audible delineation...... to help aid in your efforts.
October 08, 2012 10:49AM
Rapidroy, usually run volume at 6.

Tom, I did play with the ground ballance. Turning it to lower numbers, the ocasional high falses turned into low tones, but at those spots with the strange tones, no change.
When I get back there, I'll check into it a bit more...no big deal.
October 08, 2012 11:48AM
Yes....... that is one (primary) thing that changing the Grnd Bal does on most detectors; that being...... changing high-tone falses to low-tone audio reports........... a much preferred resultant.
October 08, 2012 12:48PM
Down and dirty CZ's just love rusty nails and is a powerful unit that may catch edges of large deep objects which equate to many of these ghost hits. To a trained ear with a CZ they just sound different and part of the process of becoming efficient with the CZ series..
Honestly if I am getting them now and then I know I am going deep and only a matter of time before a deep coin goes in the pouch...
To further illustrate the next time you see a coke can laying on the ground do a little experimenting and may be surprised how far away you can swing and get one of the ghost signals...of course same principle in the ground..
October 08, 2012 03:19PM
I understand the high tone falses and how the cz reacts on metal objects outside the coil. What I was questioning was the high tones were not the normal high false that commonly happens. In these small areas the detecor acted with abnormal high tones as I mentioned above. Trying to locate the targets with a wiggle of the coil didn't work, couldn't pin them down. Around the perimeter of these areas the detector was normal, telling me, with low tones, there was common small iron in the ground.
I'm sure I can't duplicate this in a test garden by just positioning nails perpindicular to the earth. There has to be something else in the ground along with the nails, maybe hot rocks mixed in with them. I did dig several in that field.

What I should do is take another detector to these anomalies to see how it reacts. And also see if the nails are present and in the same position in more than one spot.
If you came across this, you would absolutly notice it... while scratching your head.
October 09, 2012 11:59AM
In many fields you get HOT ROCKS that typically cause a high tone with high sensitivity. Yes they move or completely disappear once you do a little digging. On an Explorer they come in at 00-31.

Dew