Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What are the differences between Gold Bug and Gold Bug Pro?

Posted by Steve(MS) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What are the differences between Gold Bug and Gold Bug Pro?
November 05, 2012 02:55AM
I might be interested in trying it out and since they look exactly alike, it is apparent.
Want to use it in cellar holes, old house foundations "bed of nails", which would be best for that?
Re: What are the differences between Gold Bug and Gold Bug Pro?
November 05, 2012 03:12AM
I wish out of the New incarnation they would of kept the audio/Disc range of the GB 2.9 Special Edition version on the 4.0 Pro which is the current version ..

I like the 2.9 the best of all the newer ones...it was called special edition...I discovered it had a Silver issue where it would not hit on large pieces of silver and was weak on small silver.....I contacted Fisher about it and they researched it and decided they were set to Omega internal specs and they had a recall ...After it was fixed ( Internal Ground Bal alignment) it worked quite well on high conductor's for a 19kHz machine...

The audio of the 2.9 was VCO form surface to depth...the newer ones are vco from depth to about 4 inches then surface to 4 inches or so is a beep...
I also Feel the 2.9 S.E. had more depth out of the 2 2.9er's I had they were a little hotter than the latter version's...Also the iron disc on the 2.9 would cut a nail out around 17-20 but the newer ones would have to get into the 30's to cut a nail out....

What do I like about the newer version's...they got the sens right for all metal hunting when compared to the 2.9.
The 2.9 sens when wide open in all metal was to erratic to hunt with but when you backed it down on the gain to smooth it out the disc I.D. speedometer at the top was desensitized too much to be of use on all but the shallower stuff....

The new versions will run wide open almost in all metal and this allows for the I.D. at the top to work too a much greater depth...also works well from jumping from disc to all metal mode without having to re adjsut sens to compensate for the erratic all metal side if too high....

I also like that the display self clears it's self after a few second's on the new version...the old version would hold I.D. till next target was registered..Why's that important...Well say if your last target was a reading of 25 (iron) and you hutb awhile and get a weak hit that wont register the I.D. but you look down and if you are in a lazy mood you still see the 25 showing well it would be dismissed as deep iron and walk over it....So I like the dsiplay to clear...now if it's too deep to I.D. the screen stays blank and you know you better see what it is....

But as you can see I like a couple attributes of the newer ones and a couple of the older one's...

I like the G2 the best of the current model's...I believe its also now 4.0...And it is a nice runner and I like the ergonomic's and the nice 11 Inch Bi-Axial for relic hunting deeper object's...

If getting a used one either G.B.Pro or G2 about a year ago their supplier messed up and switched the fe304 band signal words up at the bottom of the display...so when you were in all metal instead of showing Fe304 is showed Signal strength on the display and it showed Fe304 on the DIsc mode...I think the bar info was working right it was just the labels were wrong....But little thing's like that will drive me crazy...

I see alot of used ones on E-Baly floating around labeled wrong...I told the factory about it and they looked into it and found out it was the LCD supplier...

I think they will swap out one thats labeled wrong though if you get a backward's one...

If you go for a Special edition 2.9 version of be aware that if you send it in for a problem in the board they will most likely swap it from that version...

The whole Gold Bug release was a mess from the get go....they are great machine's but they were releasing them while they were still smoothing out the edge's...I remember Cabella's got some 1.0's that were really DEEEEP but had no moduclated audio.. So a surface target and a 8 inch target sounded the same, and had no VCO...The 2.9er got the vco for surface to depth and kept the power of the cabella contract ones ...

Make sense LOL!!

Keith
Re: Thanks Keith.n/t
November 05, 2012 05:08AM
n/t
Re: What are the differences between Gold Bug and Gold Bug Pro?
November 05, 2012 05:38PM
Here is a link to my similiar question 7 weeks ago. [www.dankowskidetectors.com]