Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hey Dig's-Alot Heres what I found On the I.D. For U.S.S. California

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Hey Dig's-Alot Heres what I found On the I.D. For U.S.S. California
November 28, 2012 06:48PM
Delamar was born in 1900 in Minnisota...
Was in the Navy by 18 years old...
Got out of the navy in 1948...

He was stationed on many ship's including the California...before and after WW2..
He lived In In California and also Baltimore..And Pensacola for awhile.
In the 1920's he was stationed In China and had His wife Verna with Him.And His daughter Barbara Jean Tuft..Born in 1923..Not sure if She's still alive but You might find her..

He lived In California till His retiremnet in 1948..He Moved To Orange Park Florida where he died of natural casues in 1989...Aged 89 year's..

He was on the Colorado...but did not die from injuries...the way they list the people on the Colorado web site is also veterans who were on the ship who later died but not neccesarily by Wound's...Just Vet's on ship once they die get's mentioned...

I would bet His Immediate family resides in Florida Now...

Looks like he was pretty Sharp...He was an Officer and a radio operator...By the time He retired He was a Lt.Commander..

Nice piece of History

TRY TO FIND THE RELATIVES

I find a Delmar L. Tuft on the Colorado
[usscolorado.org]

Heres the 1940 census
[www.ancestry.com]

If this is the same Guy(Probably Is) He must of been pretty sharp...

Heres a 1926 Naval Officers Directory
Delmar L. Tuft listed in Bellvue D.C. Naval research Lab
[www20.us.archive.org]

Heres a 1931 naval officer's directory
Theres a Delmar l. Tuft listed in Fla.Naval research Lab.........Radio Elec...
[www.archive.org]

Heres the 1938 Naval Officers directory He's on the U.S.S. California
Tuft. Delmar L, chf radio elec, u s s California

In 1942 Theres a Delamar Tuft LTJG in the U.S. Navy
[www.usofficerdocuments.com]

O Yeah the L Means Lawrence...

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2012 06:52PM by Keith Southern.
Re: Hey Dig's-Alot Heres what I found On the I.D. For U.S.S. California
November 28, 2012 08:02PM
Excellent research, Keith.

But how/where did you get all this information? I only got as far as the Archive info on the internet nearly a year ago. And of course, the “Colorado” website where I mistakenly assumed he was a WWII casualty.

I’m going to attempt to find his descendants, thanks to your information.

Thanks again for the reply.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
November 29, 2012 06:38AM
I spend 14.95 a month on ancestry.com..best moeny I can spend for research..
Genealogy is another passion for me...

and you wont believe what alot of the old records can reveal for hunt location's...and assembling together a puzzle...

The internet is truly amazing at what info it offer's...
what used to take days or weeks to figure out can be figured out in a few keystroke's...

I am also a big fan of diary's...there's so many posted online now like Google book's...I can read a dozen account's of one particular battle for free..

Looking at my tablet right now I have 8 books open on a battle I am researching...6 of these books are over 100 years old and antiques in their own right and very expensive and hard to obtain...But I can read them and not cost a dime...

Keith
November 29, 2012 01:04PM
Priceless!
November 29, 2012 07:08PM
Your enjoyment of research is a great advantage when it comes to treasure hunting. After nearly 3 years of detecting, I still dread delving deeply into research. Stumbling onto very productive sites in the first few months of detecting has had a deterring effect on me when it comes to research.

In the long run, your passion for research should pay off greatly in locating sites, if it hasn’t already.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
November 30, 2012 02:55AM
Thank's digs-alot...

I have paid-off myself many times in my life detecting...Not always monetarily but personally..

A lot of the stuff I find is only valuable to me...Because it PROVES History to me...

O sure I have found some quite high dollar items and have sold some stuff along the way...but the experiences and history learned is like Tom said Priceless..

If anyones in it for the money they wont go far for long..Wrong attitude...
If you are in for the passion...you will be quite surprised the value of the items you collect if you need to part with them...

Whats bad is you get so attached to the items you can't part with them without regret later on...

I will tell this I let a dug collection go one time 15 years back for a sum of money and till this day I miss my relic's...

I have dug more thing's that I love but I still miss my other's..

Back then I could dig stuff fairly easlily and it was like I can just dig more if i let such and such go...

You can dig alot more, I have dug more stuff even some stuff I never thought I would ever dig...but I still miss my more simple common stuff I let go in quantity..

Keith