Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Depth and ID of E Trac and T2se

Posted by Coinseeker 78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Depth and ID of E Trac and T2se
December 26, 2012 03:43PM
Will the e Trac perform much better than the T2se when it comes to identifying coins at depth. I have found the T2se in 4 tones identifies coins like a dime as deep as 9 inches in moderately mineralized soil. Also is the target separation as good as the E Trac? Thanks in advance.
Re: Depth and ID of E Trac and T2se
December 26, 2012 04:56PM
Separation should be better with the T2 than the E-Trac, and if you are getting accurate coin ID at 9" in moderate soil, they IMO you have a keeper machine. I had an F70 (not the same, obviously, but similar), and in my mild/moderate iron-mineralized soil, NO WAY was I getting good dime ID to 9". I was in the 6-7" range, beyond which dimes would ID basically as iron. I don't even get good dime ID to 9" with my Minelab Explorer, in my soil. If you are getting 9" with your unit, I'd say you have a good one for your conditions. Perhaps, in your soil, the E-Trac might go a bit deeper ID-wise, but I would be surprised if it's more than an inch or so...in my somewhat limited experience, ten inches is INCREDIBLE depth for accurate ID of a dime, in anything but very mild soil.

Just my two cents.

Steve
December 26, 2012 05:24PM
I never got that kind of good ID with my T2 in my moderately mineralized soil, but it wasn't an SE. My E-Trac will hit a dime no problem with a solid solid ID at 9" though. That is nearing it's limits.
December 26, 2012 06:10PM
Thanks for the info. I have hunted along side of my hunting partner who uses a Minelab SE Pro and have marked all of his finds before he dug with good accuracy. I was also accurate when no masking was occurring. I tend to rely on my tones for identity more then TIDs. I have in many occasions been more accurate then he was on what the find was. I think I have a very competitive detector here. With great ID and depth capabilities and unmasking capabilities. We do have to balance our detectors for interference before we get close to each other. I am trying to get myself up to do some video of my deep finds. I had what I thought was a memorial penny found at 8 inches that I threw on my dresser that was badly tarnished I cleaned it up with Tabasco sauce and discovered it was a 1870 Shield nickel.. We are in a blizzard right now and don't know when I will be able to detect again. Happy Hunting to all.
December 26, 2012 07:05PM
SOOOOO much can depend on setup, coil and operator. With my Etrac on a site I'm working the last month I've nailed two silver dimes at 9" + with solid ID and tone and that is with some minor iron trash around and some modern junk as well. Coil was an Ultimate 13. On these sites I'm able to run my sensitivity at about 25 to 27 manual to find them and then confirm in auto +3. Deep of Fast off and running in High trash and soil difficult. Got good tone and on one of the two better ID (no jumping around when circling the target) in Auto +3 which was running about 21 to 23 there. Even at that depth there was no missing what was there at the 9 to 10 inch mark. Now our soil may not be as mineralised as yours. But I can say that a year ago when I started with the Etrac I might have missed one of them but not the second. With my X-5 coil I have my doubts I would have run quite that deep. With the stock coil I'd of really had to be paying attention as deep silver never sounded as strong with it as with the Ultimate 13.
December 26, 2012 10:47PM
In general.......... as mineralization content increases.......... the FBS Minelab's will show a slight edge in both ID and depth.
December 27, 2012 05:28AM
And minerals can change in the same region, down the road a little or even some yards away, at least that is the case here.

Possibly the main issue is confidence, that is confidence in the machine you are running.
It sounds like you are getting good depth, my personal feeling is you are being served well with your present unit.
Now it is time for your confidence to take over...unless something changes it while in the field. (remember too that your unit is lighter weight)

I read the air test results with the Etrac on this forum....my old Explorer XS is the getting the same as those tests results.
December 28, 2012 01:28AM
Steve -- regarding depth on E-Tracs vs. Explorers...

I tested my SE Pro alongside a friend's E-Trac over the course of a few weeks...and while I obviously have more familiarity on my Explorer than I did with his unit, I found their response to various un-dug targets to be extremely similar, and I could not detect greater depth with the E-Trac, vs. my Explorer -- supporting your ideas.

Just my two cents...

Steve