Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Object Identification help...

Posted by jrk 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
jrk
Object Identification help...
January 19, 2013 05:01PM
Gentlemen/Ladies (Keith, Kevin, Tom, all others...),

Deus uncovered this last fall up on some property of the family's. Old historic home, 1725. Troops burned down an old barn on the property, and the immediate area is full of odds and ends. Started using the Deus on this property after hitting it with two Etracs and the place came alive, although we were only looking for old coins with the latter.

This looks to me to be an old chunk of shaped lead. Was just over a foot down, but very decisive signal. Very dense and heavy, about 2lbs. Could it be a ballast of some sort, or a block of lead that was used to produce rounds/bullets from? Been used as a paper weight here in the house since unearthed never really knowing what it could be.

Sincerely appreciate the comments and thoughts. Wife is very interested, as she found it with her Deus with small coil.

[imageshack.us]

Randy,
Richmond, VA

Well, Using an iMac, and only allows me to save my images as jpeg, not jpg. I'll try to figure this out and get the images on board...never easy...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2013 11:43PM by jrk.
jrk
Re: Object Identification help...
January 19, 2013 11:54PM
Hope the pic worked this time. Thanks for the pic tip Keith.
January 20, 2013 12:35AM
Looks like a hunk of plumbers lead for leading cast iron pipe joints.
Edit; on second thought, it's smaller that plumbers lead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2013 12:37AM by ozzie.
jrk
January 20, 2013 02:02AM
Thanks Ozzie!
January 20, 2013 02:19AM
Was it covered in a white lead oxide (some call patina) before washing it?? If it was very old at all, it should have been covered, to at least some degree, with a white substance (lead oxide, I assume). If it came out of the ground looking like it looks in the pic (color wise), then it is likely not tool old. It looks as if someone tried to cut hunks off of it, perhaps so that it would fit into a small melting pot of some kind. I know that ALL Civil War era bullets don't come out of the ground completely white. I even dug some the other day that were not as white as some others I have dug. I guess that I could have saved all those words and just plainly said..."I don't know what it is" but saying "I don't know" is so difficult to say sometimes. Maybe others will chime in an know more.
jrk
January 20, 2013 02:32AM
Thanks Kevin. Mostly white when pulled.

Randy
January 20, 2013 02:23PM
Looks like plumbers lead ingot to me as well. Some came in say 6 pieces attached with smaller weight you cut what you wanted. That stuff can be pretty old and white depending on the mineralization.

Dew
January 20, 2013 02:38PM
Looks like a Deus dug paper weight...As bullets were smelted in the field perhaps thats what it was used for ...in any case a piece of history perhaps right on your desk....and we never know what will come out of the ground in the next dig...
January 20, 2013 03:20PM
Lead for what use?

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
January 20, 2013 03:26PM
almost looks like a blade sharpening tool of some sort but i'm sure thats not it, cool what ever it is.