Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

On Cloud Nine-Just Bought a Used CZ70 and It Is ?

Posted by RLOH 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
On Cloud Nine-Just Bought a Used CZ70 and It Is ?
January 31, 2013 02:29AM
I have had every CZ made and my last one was a CZ 70 that I foolishly sold to Chris, a forum member from Cleveland. I tend to lose track of time, but I would guess it was about five years ago. Since that time, I have tried most every detector made, but always had another clean CZ70 on my mind. Well, a couple of weeks back, I was talking to a dealer friend and he said he had a "like new" CZ70 that he might consider selling. When I sold a detector to get some cash together, I called him to talk turkey. He had not told me a price when I first talked to him, but I was willing to pay the price as they are getting extremely hard to find. Well I did pay dearly, but he told me it was like new and I trusted his judgement. To my surprise, I was shocked when I unpacked this CZ. It was not only like new, it was NEW. It had never been out of the house and it showed. I was so shocked at it's conditon, that I did not want to use it and get dirt on it, but since I don't have a closet full of detectors, nor can I afford a closet full of detectors, I decided to get it dirty. Boy am I glad I did. We have had two thaws in the last week sandwiched between two bad snow storms so I got it out for a couple of hours. I have read many people say they feel like they are back with an old friend and that is exactly how I feel with this detector. The first two targets turned out to be deep wheat pennies(8 inches or so) and the distinct high tick of a deep coin is truely "music to my ears". I only hunted for a couple of hours and ended up with a pocketfull of nickels, including a buffalo and a dozen clad coins. Yesterday, I had an hour to hunt so off I go to an old stand by spot where any coins are hard to come across. The first and only signal was a 9 inch deep Indian Head. It bounced between zinc and relic and I knew it was an Indian before I dug. The CZ 70 is still as good as they come and I am looking forward to a great 2013/
Re: On Cloud Nine-Just Bought a Used CZ70 and It Is ?
January 31, 2013 03:34AM
Nice choice on detectors Ray... I don't think you can go wrong choosing any CZ detector.

Now I bet you wish you still had your hard case to house it in. smiling smiley

Good Hunting,
-Rick
January 31, 2013 07:10AM
RL,

Glad you are back to 'comfort zone' old-familiar.... home.
That audio tone 'bounce'...... from Zinc to Relic......... on your Indian Head penny ..... is exactly 'why' I placed a seperate (4th) tone on the CZ-70. But.......... just be careful. You were lucky to find the Indian Head "bouncing" between the two tones............ as many IH's may simply only give a solid 'relic' tone (.....and never bounce to Zinc tone)................ along with many other 'old coins'. That 4th (relic) tone is quite important........... and takes some in-the-field experience to maximize your results.
January 31, 2013 02:34PM
Plain and simple couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Good luck with your new weapon...

PS: with CZ's always dig the bouncers no matter where they are on the meter as got some interesting finds along the way.

Old indian heads(fatties) will even come in square tab meter range.
February 01, 2013 11:00PM
Tom, I never found too many Indians with my previous 70, probably because I chose to ignore the relic tone in my older hunting spots. To be honest, I don't dig too many Indians period with any detector I have used. A couple of years back I started digging deeper zinc signals at the 150 year old fairgrounds out of boredom and low and behold, Indians started showing up. I rehunted a 50 by 100 area where I found the first of these "zinc' signals and I ended up with 15 Indians in the next couple of hunts. Funny thing was, they were showing up about 6 inches deep. I think at that time I was using a DFX. A good unscientific experiment might be to rehunt it with the CZ70 looking more closely at the relic tone signals.
February 02, 2013 02:11AM
A "good" (non corroded) Indian Head.......... is in the conductive bandwidth of .... the bottom-end of the Zinc penny range. A bit of corrosion.... and they bounce between Zinc and Relic.............. or simply ID as a solid 'Relic'. Go back to that exact same spot where you found the 15 IH's....... and dig 6" 'Relic' signals............. and see what you find!.