Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

First night out with vista smart

Posted by Anonymous User 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Anonymous User
First night out with vista smart
February 03, 2013 12:25PM
Coin hunting in the UK...so my take on it.

First off I don't like it in the mud jeeez bring on the summer lol.
Second Is i like this detector and Gary hits the nail on the head in his review.
Being never had a detector like this my very first signal impressions was.. Shall I dig it.
First was a little tad of metal about 4inches down with numbers on.. Dunno will stay in my coat pocket till the morning..

Second target was foil and after that I started thinking this is what!? A bit on the donkey side but as I opened my ears little hints appeared like a smidge of fizz on the end or a slight clip when walking round the target.
Got caught out with a few bits just under the surface due to not raising coil for depth check but my error.

But second half of my hunt I was getting the jiff of things and picked out a ring pull but even that had tell tale signs that didn't stand out as a winner.
Then came across a little zap with no fuzz and sounded small but precise so dug.. Was a modern 5 pence.... but after pin pointing it what i think adds a awesome level of detail and where I think smart comes into it as It gives some nice detail on edge of target and size.. Like what I felt could almost account to 30% of dig confidence.

Did get fooled a few times on my outing but that is due to being intrigued to what it's telling me lays under that ground.
But given what I found tonight and what information this machine tells you is very confident I found indeed...

like to add that I didn't get any one way signal what is a delight coming over from the Ace250 it also has very nice depth on small targets I found.
I will be digging more items that do sound iffy just to make sure that it is crud as first night out and be a fool not too and thinking myself I have mastered it ha ha.

Long road ahead and what I found tonight is that this is a wise purchase in my eyes and think this is a keeper.
Hope build is up to scratch on toggles as you will be boosting those weaker signals what works a treat.
You will dig certain signals that chip nice but have the odd iron if not coin hunting like I was and I feel that it was just the one coin that I walked over so I'm happy.

Tonight's first impression..

First night out 7/10
Detector up for the job in hand 7/10
Build quality... never had switches as I'm a button man
Also I wouldn't like to be in the rain with it.. Perforated tea bag comes to mind.
Target separation... dunno not dug a good target on or near iron yet.
Ease of use 6/10.. I've never manually ground balanced till tonight
Sound information 7/10
Weight.. Not a issue for me but I'm well proportioned

Will show on a video soon the Pinpoint as this is a do or don't dig option for me.

I'm happy with it and looking forward to the future
Re: First night out with vista smart
February 03, 2013 12:39PM
Thats great to hear as i have just purchased a SMART myself and Keith is driving and getting a feel for it himself
February 03, 2013 03:01PM
Good to have you Ziggy, thanks for the report!
Anonymous User
February 04, 2013 12:11AM
Out again tonight so was digging like a nutbar... Foil and cut can in abundance
Now like been said it's a site machine and far far from just a coin popper so if you have the council permissions nod then take something else or find a litter free place unless you want to dig and dig.
Finds metal so small that it will leave you thinking that the batteries have gone flat in your probe.
Powerful indeed.

1 don't take it to public park unless you like digging a lot
2 will find coins deep under coil
3 if your picky about what you dig don't buy this.

Another good night but didn't pick up to many hints on targets but apart from fuzzy fizz ones that I left.
But I'm looking forward to chucking junk and other targets in my test bed to get a better clue on those tell tale signs.
The only thing I can tell you is that if hunting for coins then signals are clean but so can be many other bits and bobs.
Pin point feature does give hints on shape and size.
I think if you get this on some historic site you will be laughing and happy as a mouse in a cheese cracker factory.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2013 01:05AM by Ziggyjinx.
February 04, 2013 01:31AM
this is where the the cheap head phones will come in and hear the actual sharpness of the tone when i first recieved my RG 1000 i hunted old base ball fields did very well but you will get the occasional foil and such, pull tabs (aluminum) had there own signature most of them, the modern pepsi can had tiny spit of the begging of and after the sweep but during sounded good, but sharp toned compared to the coin, the worst thing that fooled me the most was the older golden colored ring pulls from the older beer can days, identical to a coin signal, it will take some time to get your ear familliar with the tones, I still have my good and bad days on these types of hunts
Anonymous User
February 04, 2013 08:13AM
Oh yeah for sure on the good and bad nights... Was out with the Ace250 for two weeks running just finding modern coins and junk.. Then bang! Three silvers in a stretch of half hour.. Roman denarius then silver ring and a silver sixpence.. Just makes it all worthwhile.
Like I said before to my wife it can be like having a birthday every day because you never know what the ground will gift you.

As for head phones I will try as normally I hunt with brother and would be unsociable to use them but will try.
I love the smart as its a very powerful and capable machine... Only two days in to the hunt so I'm sure the more I use this the more it will tell me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2013 08:14AM by Ziggyjinx.