Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Any word of large SEF type coils coming out for the vista series?

Posted by glasartisan 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Any word of large SEF type coils coming out for the vista series?
February 05, 2013 04:53AM
Maybe Barry or AMC might answer this. I keep hearing about the smaller elips coming out this spring; but what about coil size of 13 inches or bigger for shear depth.Im a woods hunter,not many nails where Im going but very deep native float copper 18-24 inches down in sandy gravel.I need to go deep but mineralization will need to be tamed.Thanks Steve
Re: Any word of large SEF type coils coming out for the vista series?
February 05, 2013 11:31AM
I do believe there will be a bigger eliptical coil coming i'm just not sure when, because of demand of the smaller one that will be coming out in mid march according to Barry
February 05, 2013 11:43PM
I hear they have a Larger Elliptical coming...Not a S.E. F. but their own large elliptical like they have now...as light as the ellitpcial they have desinged are, the S.E.F.'s are way to heavy now...

S.E.F. make a great product but people like Garrett and Now DeepTech, N.E.L. have challenged them very well with lighter weight version's of the same type design's..

You can get a 15" round right now from DeepTech built like the 11" stock round I hear...but probably heavy? and better off waiting for the large elliptical due out if, you are so inclined to do so...

Keith
Wonder If NEL Makes The Coils For Vista......
February 06, 2013 12:55AM
They sure look the same as the NEL "Hunter" Coils..............Mark

[www.ebay.com]
Re: Wonder If NEL Makes The Coils For Vista......
February 06, 2013 04:27AM
Thanks guys, Steve
February 06, 2013 08:36AM
are the large coils available to all models ?
February 06, 2013 11:33AM
I'm pretty sure on most models if you wanted it you could get one or build it for you
February 06, 2013 05:03PM
When will they be available
February 07, 2013 12:02AM
that i'm not sure, yuo' have to see probably after mid march when they come out with the smaller eliptical coil and after that
February 07, 2013 03:29PM
As to the SEFs being heavy, depends on which machines they are made for. By the numbers others have weighed their FBS versions of the SEF coils, the BBS versions I weighed myself appear to be much lighter. The 15x12 I owned, without a coil cover being used and instead using spray on bed liner, was lighter than the stock 10" Tornado, which ain't a very heavy coil either. The 12x10 I currently own, again using spray on bed liner and ditching the cover, is lighter than the legendary light weight of the Sun Ray S-12. The 13" Ultimate in BBS version is also right down there in weight almost exactly the same as the 12x10.

I'd love to see a 12x10 for the Deeptech units, as I've been watching your posts (Keith) closely on these machines. Haven't read through all of them yet, so I'm still wondering which unit for max depth on silver/copper coins in mineralized ground. I would suspect the low freq model but am catching glimpses of the two tone higher freq might be doing just as good on those depth wise? Even if it's not, if it's still got the depth beyond "conventional" detectors in some instances for those, then the two tone thing might be the deal clincher for me.

I want to thank you for doing extensive comparisons and tests on these units. So much I have to read and watch of your work with them yet. I'm very cautious about my buys, having been burned so much over the years, that I weigh every ounce of information I can find from trustworthy sources before making the leap. The reasonable price is also extra motivation to considering one.

I'll be constrasting what I see and hear with pin point mode on my GT first though. This PP mode thing just blows me away. It's depth is outrageous even in the worst of grounds, and you can often tell iron by how the target responds in the approach and passing by the target. Modulated audio too to judge depths by. I've been told there are about 10 different "words" to judge targets by as well, without needing to flip to disc to see. I recently ran across a guy, a beach hunter, who has owned much of the top PI units out there, and he says PP mode on his GT is as deep or deeper as all of them from the sound of it. Starting to call PP my GT "PI Mode" now. :')

At one badly mineralized beach, the minerals and microscopic iron and black sand were so bad than even the legendary ability of BBS in disc to cut through that clutter was choking out on coins at 5 or 6" or even nulling completely on them. PP was seeing them and much deeper without even raising sensitivity, and I've since found out you can raise sensitivity to full in PP and the machine will still be stable, and that raising volume to full blast does indeed increase PP's depth, unlike disc where full volume shows me no change in the depth it sees for me.

So if I see some depths of these Deeptech units beyond what PP can do, then I might have to take the leap and pick one up for certain situations, such as sites lacking a lot of non-ferrous targets but where I know some ultra deep silver still lurks. I've only just begun to use PP on the beach and am going to do more land excursions with it at such sites to see what it can find. Very excited about it's prospects.

By the way, as a side note...I was using the 13" Ultimate in PP mode to PP a target on land, which I rarely do and just zero in on the target using disc so iron doesn't drag me off a coin or something. Anyway, laid the machine down and found my digger, even pointed right at the coil to represent a smaller image to it, was sounding off with the digger well behind my arm cup. And I'm a tall guy, so the depth of it on that thing in at least an air test was impressive to me. I can imagine using it for large relic or cache hunting at extreme depths, even if it doesn't get the same depth on those in the ground.

I suspect my 12x10 would reach the digger at that kind of distance in an air test too but haven't tested that yet, since in my tests the 12x10 shows about a half inch more depth than the Ultimate in raw air tests on a dime that were precisely measured. Both coils were run at full sensitivity in a low EMI environment with a ruler in the foreground of the coil so the camera could capture the exact depth readings for various coils I compared. In the ground though, I have dug a few deeper coins with certain coils than these air tests show, as is the norm for Minelabs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2013 03:42PM by critterhunter.
February 07, 2013 06:20PM
Hi critterhunter whats the deepest coin you had in land with that machine with the sef coil