Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tone Discrepency

Posted by synthnut 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tone Discrepency
February 23, 2013 11:42AM
How many times have I heard ..." My xyz machine can go 12" on a dime " ....or " My machine will go 15" down with the bigger coil " ........Some folks believe some of these statement's while others don't ......It's all up to a LOT of variables......One thing that I have noticed that has not changed from detector to detector is that once you get past a certain depth on any given machine , you just can't rely on the tone or ID ...... We have all been taught to go more by tone than going by ID numbers on the screen for more accuracy ..... My thinking of late has been to go by NOISE 1rst , TONE 2nd , and ID numbers 3rd !!!..... I can't tell you how many times I have dug deep Gold that has come in sounding off in a completely different tone than what it really sounds off on in a more shallow setting .....ID numbers all over the place , so throw that out right away ..... When hunting with my CZ's , the tone of a really deep target is NOTHING at all what the target ends up being ..... I will have to say also that I notice this more in sand than in soil as I can go SO much deeper in sand ......I'm just throwing this out there to see how many of you DEEP guys have noticed this ......Thanks, Jim
Re: Tone Discrepency
February 23, 2013 01:12PM
At the beach I make a habit of at least digging 1 out of 3 trash tones whilst running in disc.
When checking in all metal and it's a small short signal, I definately dig.

Doesn't take a whole lot of effort and I get my goodies.
Also beats having to run the whole beach trying to get the Wright signal, as some people do.
Anyway,... mostly it's trash, but now and again,... it's anything but trash!!

Came to the same conclusion a while ago, can't say when my brain kicked in,.... usually takes some time.
when the detector sounds off, there is something metalic down there!!!
Uhmmmm ???? ..... thinking ..... yeah why not ....

HH
Johnb
February 23, 2013 01:59PM
Hi Jim what machine is the xyz ?
February 23, 2013 02:23PM
All depends on the unit you are using and your expertise in understanding what its telling you...If you are talking about a beach where the digging is easy if it beeps one digs.
On land its a different story and well audio usually determines to dig or not and meter readings are secondary on the deep targets....matter of fact on some iffies I dig a 4-5 inch plug which gives me additional tonal data. Constantly switching detectors is detrimental to this process and some of the old timer that have used one unit for years are definetly in tune rel audio variances and the like to dig or not especially on the deepies and iffies...
Perusing the forums I see fellows owning a half dozen units and trying every new unit around which is definetly detrimental to audio perception as well for the most part all are different...
February 23, 2013 03:01PM
Brett,
XYZ is the machine that the guy owned that he used right after he caught that 200 lb Striper in the surf on the beach in Arizona !!......You know the one !!.....

Dan,
While I agree that ti's great to spend a bunch of time learning your machine, and learning it well , I am also of the belief that there are better tools for various jobs and won't limit myself ....In your case , the machine you started on was a machine that worked well on everything due to the mult freq's that it put out ..... It was way ahead of it's time ....Not every machine made back in the day was so elaborate ..... Too bad some company couldn't take things a step further and produce a hybrid machine that incorporated both Analog and Digital cirucutry all working off of low voltage .......

ScoopJB ,
I mention the sand since I spend more time on the beach looking for jewelry than I do in the dirt ..... Easier digging and better rewards for this old man anyway !!....