Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Fusion target

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Fusion target
February 25, 2013 03:22AM
I love to dig taget's like this...iron and brass fused together when they are not supposed to belong together..

the iron is a iron buckle and the brass is a clock brass gear....

The iron stem of the brass gear seems to have fused to the iron buckle...

I got a good tone roll on this target today in a bed of nails...

thought I would share...

Keith
Re: Fusion target
February 25, 2013 03:41AM
Cool find/s Keith...

Love finding cogs/gears made of brass - especially small/er ones (quarter size and smaller).

HH

Wayne...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2013 03:42AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
February 25, 2013 04:11AM
Wow!!!! Reckon what causes those two metals to fuse??? Simply time??? Mineralization plus time? Mineraliztion plus time plus moisture? Mineralization plus time plus moisture plus an unknown??? That is pretty neat!!! Thanks for sharing, Keith!!!
February 25, 2013 04:19AM
I think the brass gear has an iron post and the post has simply rusted to the iron buckle ...But it is stuck very well...

Not really fusion more like fused....but the title just sounded so cool...LOL!!!!!

gets you to look dont it...

But seriously....the two items are about the same size...it gave equal low high tone...almost remiding you of a larger iron false yet the high tone was a bit smoother...

I love how far we have come with detectors in the ability to understand a target more and more through audio...Maybe the visual i.d. can catch up one day...

Thanks fellas

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2013 04:20AM by Keith Southern.
February 25, 2013 12:52PM
Nice back-drop.
February 25, 2013 01:19PM
Keith Which detector were you using on this find? Had to be a Vista!
February 25, 2013 02:11PM
Hunt a saltwater shore if you want to see gobs of things stuck(fused) together and found more that one silver coin right in there with the gob.....

Of course saltwater situations are a different venue but certainly applicable to the hobby....
February 25, 2013 03:57PM
Hey Dan I would bet the saltwater fuses items together...I have dug items on the beach and they are inside a crud ball...

Here inland i dont get a lot fo fused target's...I like to see them though....

After further inspection and cleaning of target, the brass gear is solid brass even the axle post...so the rust ot rust theroy is out ...is actually bonded quite tight brass to iron...

Not sure how it does that but it does do it...good test piece to have if nothing else..

Hey Tom...Yes the backdrop is my workbench...actually a small portion...those things in the black container are out of one area that I have yet to properly clean and get into a disply case...The whole counter is full of item's from different areas I need to get put away ONEDAY!!...that's one thing I am slow on..getting the stuff cased up....Those thing's in the shot are lying in a food contianer lid...Zaxby's chicken I believe it is,, thats my 'compartmentalized' way of processing finds...LOL!!

Hey frank I dug that with the DTV RG1000...

Keith
February 25, 2013 04:10PM
Keith careful on the closeups of the finger prints...police depts have data bases....

All kidding aside my friend you sure are a wealth of info with all that experimenting....and thanks for sharing...