Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CTX 3030 extreme trash seperation

Posted by scoopjohnb 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CTX 3030 extreme trash seperation
March 02, 2013 10:06PM
Whilst dabbling about in my detector shed I've made a bit of a discovery.

Settings: Fast on, high trash on, combined tones, audio long, target trace on.
Coil: 6"

Objects: steel ballpoint pen spring, piece of foil, pulltab, coin

Disc pattern: Open,... but a 2x2 disc area over the mean TID of the piece of foil and a 2x2 area of disc over the mean TID of the pulltab.

Put the targets in a row,... CTX detects iron,..... null,..... null,.... high tone.
Gives an accurate TID for the coin.

Next place the trash targets over and next to the coin. Coins surface is more or less covered by the trash targets.
CTX gives a shorter but clear high tone, some warble and little iron tone.

Edit tone pattern so every trash tone has same iron grunt frequency and coin has high tone.

CTX detects this triple multi conductivity masked coin by a clear high tone accompanied with some low tone grunt.
TID is rendered useless, target trace is showing a smeared out heat signal accross every detected "solo" target area.

Wow,.... !! Need a short hunt to test and blank the screen out whilst detecting, ... audio only

HH
Johnb
Re: CTX 3030 extreme trash seperation
March 02, 2013 11:16PM
Nice find John...

Yes the ability to set tones on the CTX should make it a bit better over the other FBS machine's theory wise at unmasking......

In the field with the settings would be the confirmer..

Keith
March 03, 2013 05:27AM
I'll give these settings a try on a very trashy spot I've been over about 3 times with various detectors.

First hunt: XP Deus,... certainly not to its full ability, operator frustration about wind noise in the headphones.
Pulled maximum amount of coins, virgin hunt, easy cherry picking.

Second Hunt: X-terra 705,... with 6" coil is only an effective 3" seperator.
Pulled some coins next to trash, multiple targets in the same hole, not masking.
Conductivity difference between targets in the same hole was 1 or 2 notch settings.
The unit really averages everything under the coil and blends all targets into a mean TID.

Third Hunt: CTX 3030,... with factory standard coin program, combined tones, disc pattern set to accept all
Tone break set just above modern pulltab.
Pulled several deeper coins, pre-dating site constrution, so very early drops.
Coins were much closer in conductivity rating to the trash in the same hole.

Had a few realy mixed up signals, hoping new settings will pull a few more finds.

Don't intend to start another one of those boring detector wars.
Just curious how the units work,... how I can make them work to my best effort.
Some people like riding bikes,... I like detectors and digging stuff.

HH
Johnb

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2013 06:56AM by scoopjohnb.
March 03, 2013 03:34PM

Fourth Hunt: Settings are kicking in nicely, especially the pinky nail sized coins are surfacing more frequently. They are more audibly prominent.
Settings used: Fast On, Deep Off, High trash ON, Tones Long
Disc pattern: Accept all,... except a 2x2 gray area covering our modern pulltab and a 2x2 area covering single sheet foil. I want to break up these small surface trash signals.
Audio: Combined mode with ferrous level dropped 4 to 5 points from factory standard, tone break set just above the modern pulltab.
Coin and Silver tone set to factory standard, trash tones, iron/foil/nickel set to same iron grunt frequency. I'm going recent Belgian/Euro coin hunting, I only want a "PING" on a target sitting in the coin conductive part of the spectrum.
Sens: Running 15 manual in stead of the CTX recommended 18, didn't want to fiddle about with smaller stuff, just coins.

Other than coins I dug deep ringpulls, deep ringpulls with the beavertail flipped over into the center of the ring, a few deeper modern pulltabs, 2 pieces of deep larger iron which bumped the signal above my programmed ferrous line,

Remember this is a extreme high trash environment. Often during a 5 second 3 foot swing the CTX will iron grunt at you continually.
Factory standard program it goes into a constant null.

HH
Johnb

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2013 07:20AM by scoopjohnb.
jrk
March 04, 2013 03:36AM
CTX 3030,... with factory standard coin pattern, combined tones, no disc.

I'm currious as to what you mean by using standard coin pattern, but also mention no discrim. The standard coin pattern has most of the screen discrimed out John. What am I not getting?

Thanks,
Randy
March 04, 2013 06:52AM
Sorry I should have put standard coin program in stead of pattern.
Indeed the factory standard pattern has 2 disc screens: 1 with lots of gray area, the other with minimal gray area.

Elaborated the above posts a bit, things should be easier to understand,..... my thought process is sometimes mixed up LOL

HH
Johnb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2013 07:11AM by scoopjohnb.
jrk
March 04, 2013 02:59PM
Thanks John...appreciate the clarification. I'm loving this new CTX. Pulled some 3 ringers yesterday afternoon in a local pasture. I love the quiet coin program, discrim and all...I admit to being lazy and like the silence. I'm also finding with target trace, the scatter effect on trash is greatly accurate.
For these properties/sites, I'm thinking about the larger coil, as I can hear nothing but threshold for a while, then, especially when set to audio long, I get a screaming bullet at 10 inches. I'm thinking the larger coil might sniff out some deeper targets, but I've not researched how well ML did with the 17".

Randy