Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hearing aids and the hobby...

Posted by Dan-Pa. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Hearing aids and the hobby...
March 26, 2013 02:24PM
Well with headphones I excell in tonal ID, hear deep coins and audio variances to tell to a degree junk or a nice gold ring but my general hearing is getting worse and time for a hearing aid...My question how will it affect me when I am wearing headphones. I know hearing aids have an off and on button and is this option. I know a few fellas have been there done that and would like some input.....
Re: Hearing aids and the hobby...
March 26, 2013 03:08PM
Hi Dan, I have had hearing aids for about 6 or 7 years now, and can,t do without them. If i don,t have them i can,t understand anyone talking or phone ring, I am 80 to 90% deaf in both ears.The trouble with headphones is your ears sweat, i carry quetips and when my ears bother me i clean them. Another thing is if your headphones are to tight, they press on the volume control and hurt. It is this or nothing for me.I Just thank God i have what hearing i have. I know i miss alot of targets that are deep or just don,t here, but i still get alot of coins and rings. I have not got as many rings as i did before, i know my hearing is getting worst. I will hunt by light if i half to. Good Luck with Them, Flintstone
March 26, 2013 08:51PM
Dan
My brother in-law has recently upgraded his hearing aids, his new ones are "Bluetooth" enabled. This allows him more convenient cell usage. My point: does the Deus not use "Bluetooth" for communication between coil, controller, and phones? If so, could a person with "Bluetooth" h/aids tie into they're Deus for enhanced target audio?
Just a thought.
HH

Bob
Nova Scotia
Omega w 11" & 5" DD, 10" Con.
Cibola, Compadre
6000/D GEB Coinmaster
March 26, 2013 11:06PM
The Deus does use 2.4GHz radio for it's link, but I'm pretty sure it's not Bluetooth. There are lots of ways of sending data, Bluetooth consistently seems to give 'delayed' audio, so would be a poor choice anyway. Plus the Deus has a two-way link to the headphones, they can control the detector operation.
March 27, 2013 02:53AM
Dan:

I've had my hearing aids for over a year now. They are from Costco. Made by Siemens. The cost was 1/3 the price of the same model from the audiologist I went to and includes a 2 year loss or breakage warranty. This includes your dog or cat chewing on them; for some reason they seem to like the smell of earwax. Also if you don't like them you get a 90 day no questions asked return with full refund.

Anyway on to detecting. I've used mine with over the ear headphones without a problem. When I use VCO for pinpointing some times I hear a very very faint ringing like an old phone. I can hear the faint tones better and the nuances of the modulated audio a lot better than without them. I had the Costco audiologist program one of the 4 programs to enhance the audio range of the detectors higher tones.

All the best with with you decision.

ArizFlash
March 28, 2013 12:30AM
There is new bone phone tech headphones out. I have tried a pair of 504c that I bought on e-bay, can't remember the manufacturers name. The slide over the ears and make contact with your cheek bones. Work amazingly well. The 504c has a built in amplifier. You can still wear your hearing aid and carry on a normal conversation at the same time as detecting. I am impressed with how well they work The only thing I do not like is the headphones have to be charged by a charger before you leave home. But when charged just plug in to your detector like any other headphones. Also they have a straight cord so they do not stretch. About $65, but could really help since they bypass the eardrum with their sound. Hope this is helpful.
March 29, 2013 09:56AM
If you are land hunting you might also try the Black Widows...... louder, crisp tones, and one of the best for noise reduction. Got a guy here in Fl who got a pair of Joes headphones who uses hearing aides and couldnt believe the differance. You might just want to try a great pair of gel pad on your dirt headphones..... youd be surprised how much noise you are hearing.