Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

how do you set up the CZ20 for dirt hunting

Posted by Caretaker 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
how do you set up the CZ20 for dirt hunting
April 02, 2013 02:03AM
same as water??, and the whispers you here beach hunting are theygood in dirt hunting too, thanks, I have a site I'm going to try it at this weekend, this field is 300 years old, yes, my town goes back to 1630 in Maine thanks
Re: how do you set up the CZ20 for dirt hunting
April 02, 2013 11:20AM
Set Disc to '0' ..... so you hear all 3 tones. Set Sens to around '7'. (((Grnd Bal if required))).
You can cherry-pick by recovering only the high-tones; yet, I would recommend digging the deeper mid-tones.......... as many older coins and relics will ID as a mid-tone.
April 02, 2013 12:06PM
Steve, the CZ20 sucks on land because it's always in salt mode. Don't expect anything close to the depth you get at the beach. You won't get any of those low tone wispers like you normally get when beach hunting. Do some comparitive depth tests and see for yourself.

You'd be much better off land hunting with your XLT. Didn't you say you had an AT Pro also?

The CZ20 will work on land just fine. Just don't expect it to be the high performance machine you are used to on the beach. The land machine(s) you already have would be a better choice. The only time I use my CZ20 on land is if for some reason I have to hunt in the rain.

Land or beach, the same settings apply. I can usually run Sense at 10 most of the time with no feedback at all. The 8" coil is just a little too small to get much depth on land and a little too big to work well in the iron.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2013 11:14PM by Badger in NH.
April 02, 2013 01:56PM
Start by picking up a land CZ as the water unit is a beast to drag around. I know I baby my units and clean it after every hunt and wash my car once a year if it needs it or not but it doesn't have to be pretty just work well...As far as setting up run the sens. to keep a stable unit and disc. to fit what your looking for.....Fisher sure had a good idea in keeping the coins pretty much in a high tone even without a meter but one wonders if a CZ20 could be converted to a CZ3D tonal wise for those real old place you hunt...
April 03, 2013 01:18AM
CZ-20 (locked in 'salt' mode) does not lose hardly any depth (on coins) for inland dirt hunting.
April 03, 2013 09:45AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CZ-20 (locked in 'salt' mode) does not lose hardly
> any depth (on coins) for inland dirt hunting.

I certainly wouldn't doubt your knowledge. Maybe there is something wrong with mine or maybe our soil is different up here. Steve lives about 50 miles from me so we have about the same ground conditions on both beach and land. We both have the 8" coil.

On land my CZ20 will not give a mixed low tone on deep silver and gold like it will in wet salt conditions. I would say depth on land is about two thirds that of the beach.

It has been quite a few years since I've used it on land. I'll have to take it out to my new test garden and see how it compares to typical land machines.

I'll be surprised if it can detect a silver dime at 9" on land. Maybe I'm wrong.
April 03, 2013 12:04PM
Hmmmmm. I too..... would be interested in your results/findings.

On low conductors....... the CZ-20 (locked in the salt mode)..... does indeed lose quite a bit of depth.
April 03, 2013 01:01PM
My feeling in the wet sand you sure will get more depth which may or may not be the reason. Still remember that 16 inch walking half I dug in a recently drained lake comes to mind and doubt if I could have touched it on dry land...
April 08, 2013 12:00AM
the CZ20 does wonders on my beaches up here, I did take it to the old field last week and hunted for an hour, dug a lot of very deep iron, I hunt in autotune all the time, I like all metal, the iron was half nails and other small pieces and they were over a foot down, I know there are old , old coins in this field, I'll give it one more try, the grass is begining to grow and once that happens, you can't swing there, I go now because the snow packs the tall grass down, if it wasn't such a long walk to the field, I would take a three of my detectors there
April 08, 2013 11:11PM
I was about to do some depth tests. I went to change the batteries in my Cz20 and while doing that, the red wire seperated from the snap-on connector.

The connector piece is riveted together. I might have to drill out the rivet. I'll set it aside and think about it.

Is there a quiker/easier fix? Has anyone done this before? Would Radio Shack have a better one of these connectors that is easy to install?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2013 11:13PM by Badger in NH.