Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Opinions on XP Deus

Posted by Pac man 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Opinions on XP Deus
April 17, 2013 10:32PM
What do you guys think about the Deus as a coin machine? Read a lot of good things about it as a relic machine with the only real negetives i have heard is it is not a very deep machine. Thinks about getting one to use in places that the CTX might not work as well. It is expenseive and am just now recovering from my purchase of the CTX and want to make sure i want it before i spend that much again. The CTX is great but there are times a lighter and faster machine might be the right ticket.

Any thoughts or advice will be welcome.
Thanks
Pac Man
wjs
Re: Opinions on XP Deus
April 18, 2013 02:11AM
As a coin machine the only place it may work better than the 3030 would be in heavy iron or in cleaner areas. I have both detectors and would take the 3030 over the deus in most of the trashy parks I hunt. Now in more open ground with less trash I may take the deus. If the deus is setup right it will go deeper than the 3030. The problem is it tends to put deep targets in the 90's where the 3030 will still be somewhat accurate all the way down to its limit. The deus is amazing in its ability to pull good targets out of the trash. These are just my opinions.......;o)
April 18, 2013 06:46AM
I have recently taken on my second Deus as a coin machine.

As a pure coin machine with spot on TID the CTX will outperform the Deus.
But from my experience the Deus will find targets behind the CTX in heavy iron/park trash.

Trick with the Deus is the programming. It is set up from the factory as a relic hunter.
You really need to teach it a new language.

HH
Johnb
April 18, 2013 12:11PM
Deus/GMP is the flagship in carpets of nails....... (where highest activity/most civilization took place).
jrk
April 18, 2013 01:09PM
Morning John.
Elaborate if you have time.

Thanks,
Randy
April 18, 2013 02:22PM
Interesting that people think of the Deus as a relic hunting machine.

In my soil, if the coin is in the first 7 inches of dirt, I will get an accurate VDI and a sweet sounding tone. It is only after the first 7 inches of dirt that the Deus gives you clues in high need of interpretation.

And Tom is right. I am consistently pulling coins from places where other machines long stopped finding any due to high rusted iron content. And there seems to be no end to the nuances of this machine. I learn something new about it every week.

As for depth, lets remember that the CTX and the Etrac come with 11 inch coils vs the Deus' 9 inch coil. Still, I pull dimes from 8 - 9 inches on a regular basis. Just the other day I pulled a Walker from a 10 inch hole. I almost gave up after 9 inches were it not for the Garrett pinpointer which kept telling me there was something big at the bottom of the hole. Me thinks that when the 11 inch coil finally arrives for the Deus, world domination will soon follow.

Last, I think every coinshooter SHOULD learn to hunt like a relic hunter. I promise you your finds will increase.

Pinpoint twice, dig once
April 18, 2013 04:42PM
new phones demo, (in French)

[www.youtube.com]
April 18, 2013 05:21PM
On Deus #1
I was constantly looking at the VDI and signal strength horseshoe, desperatly seeking info on the target.
Since it is such a fast machine VDI is sometimes all over the place,... cooking my brain because my processing unit wasn't up to the job of smoothing out the numbers.
Same with the horseshoe, it is far too small to enlighten the user to a deep/small or large/shallow target.

I tried to run it max sens, which resulted in more iron falsing, high tones, ... again cooking the brain.

On Deus #2
Well I consider the remote control a programming unit and stick it in my pocket!!
I dropped the audio boost to 0/1 so I can tell when a whisper hits.
Programmed the sens at 40 and gradually increase as I start detecting.
I am continually running in 3 or 4 tone with only 1 or 2 ID bands registering a high tone, the other 2 the Deus Iron grunt.
Programming the tone breaks like I would a discriminate breakpoint.

The WS5 headphones are nice/cool but allow wind noise.
The CP6e chefphones are a little better, but not very comfortable.
The backphones are a poor excuse!!

My solution is the 3M Peltor Protac II headphones with variable attenuation, combined with the FL6H-31 listen only cable, combined with the WS4 clip on the small headphone remote.
Wind and ambient noise are a thing of the past and they are really comfortable.

Detecting has become much more enjoyable, I'm looking at the searchcoil whilst listening to the signal much more.
Pinpointing has become a joy.
I'm not looking for a reason not to dig, I'm listening for a reason to dig.

Anyway still have a lot to learn, but I'm enjoying the experience much more. And digging a lot more coins with Deus #2 approach than with Deus #1.

HH
Johnb
April 18, 2013 09:29PM
Johnb,
Thanks for the headphone options. Alway on the lookout for a better headphone.
HH
Mike