Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

E-Trac in a hunted out school!

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
E-Trac in a hunted out school!
July 29, 2013 02:49AM
Hey all

took the E-Trac to an old school site where many other detectors stopped getting the DEEPER GOOD signals long ago. Didn't find anything really old today as I only spent 2 hrs or so going really slow over an area maybe 10 yrds wide x 20 yrds long. The 1st school was built in 1861 but burned during the fires in the late 1890s then another was built in its place and then torn down in the 50s and another built in ITS place and is still in use today.

Anyway - I've hit this place in the past with Garrett machines, Fishers (inc. CZ's) and a DFX at one time. I stopped getting deep signals with all of those machines long ago and about gave up on the place but I was itching to get out today so I gave it a try with the E-Trac after not having been there in like 3 yrs or more.

Found 8 wheats from 1919 - 1950 and all in-between - 2 old Jeffersons (1948 and 50) but no buffaloes - 2 old shotgun shell heads, some standard issue school junk, 2 tiny 22 cal lead bullets, an old reed, pile of clad, a religious pendant, a scull pendant, and some sort of old bird pin gold plated with a blue stone (1940s from the looks of it)... ALL of the older stuff was hitting at 8 to 10 inches deep in clay type soil as you can tell by the red color of some of it. Tuff ground to hunt as it's very mineralized, has tons of junk from the prior schools, plus all of the new aged junk mixed in! This E-Trac is one bad ass machine I tell ya - I can call a deep coin every time while the #s on the screen are useless once the coins are 8" and deeper but the sound and the target icon tell the story!

Hope you'all been getting out too,

HH

MRH

P.S.

Look for more to come from this place as I'll be taking the E-Trac back there a few more times. There's still 80% of the site left to hunt!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2013 03:01AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
Re: E-Trac in a hunted out school!
July 29, 2013 05:05PM
Hi, silver is just around the corner.....I love hunting spots like this,it looks like you are off to a good start on this site....Best of luck....JJ
July 29, 2013 10:21PM
8 wheaties and no silver?

Sounds like a park that I hunted here in Northern California.

The problem was either target masking, or silver coins on angle at depth, causing an iron-like response (partially discriminated signal).

Hunting hunted-out areas can be a very good learning experience, and as JJ above says, the silver is probably just around the corner.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
July 30, 2013 01:12AM
Glad to hear you are figuring out that Etrac, Wayne. Still think we need to head back to that farm house with a chainsaw to see how old that nickel is under those tree roots....lol.
July 30, 2013 01:33AM

Digs_alot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
8 wheaties and no silver? Sounds like a park that I hunted here in Northern California.The problem was either target masking, or silver coins on angle at depth, causing an iron-like response (partially discriminated signal). Hunting hunted-out areas can be a very good learning experience, and as JJ above says, the silver is probably just around the corner.

I agree Digs_alot

there still has to be some silver in the site (have found some in the past there with other machines) but as I said - those machines stopped giving good signals "at depth" long ago and all of the OLD coins/etc. while hunting with the E-Trac out there were hitting at 8" to 10" - one of the coins was deeper than my Garrett Pro Pointer is long! The other machines I've used there in the past weren't hitting anything much deeper than 6 inches or so as the soil is bad and it's high in trash (iron) content in some areas which helped prevent those machines from getting any real depth.

But also - my target/goal in detecting isn't so much "silver" per' se - I've never been the type to judge my hunts by being good/bad depending on whether I find silver or not. I mean - I like to find it as much as anyone does I guess but I'd much rather find an old LG cent or store card/token or really nice cond. Indian/etc. or even a cool old copper/brass relic of sorts rather than common junk silver coin (roosies, mercs, washingtons, etc.). This site is OLD - I have found Indians, Buffaloes, Mercs, Barber, Roosies, Wheats, play money, trinkets, etc. over the yrs out there --- the 1st school was built on the site in 1861 so I'm looking for THAT time period of coinage/etc! What makes it a good place to hunt is that there's no "playground" - it's all wide open grassy area with nice diggable dirt (when we have enough rain to keep it diggable) and therefore - there's no area where kids congregate these days nor is there any of that typical playground rock & wood-chip crap or anything - it's totally undisturbed (at least since the last school was built in the 50s).

I have roughly another 30 yrds x 30 yrds to hunt in one area and another 20 yrds x 30 yrds in another area left to cover with the E-Trac ---- I've used at least 5 or 6 machines out there over the last 15 yrs but the last time I was out there about 3 yrs ago - I was using a DFX and only found *1* wheat cent as for older coins in the same area I just went over with the E-Trac and found all of this stuff in!
July 30, 2013 03:46PM
Sweet hunt. Keep pounding it . I would grid that spot from all directions. You may pull that CW storecard out yet.
July 30, 2013 08:22PM
docbars Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sweet hunt. Keep pounding it . I would grid that
> spot from all directions. You may pull that CW
> storecard out yet.

Thanks Doc

heading back there right now as a matter of fact!

Stay tuned - we'll see what todays hunt brings :-)

MRH