Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CZ6A mod...

Posted by connortn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CZ6A mod...
November 21, 2011 03:33PM
For you guys that have a CZ6a, CZ5, CZ3D etc with the S shaped rod, and have a CZ21 also, could you look at how the unit attaches to the shaft and see if the CZ6 family units could be mounted on the CZ21 straight shaft? If you have both, photos of the bottom of both units would be a great help! I'm sure it could be done, just want to see how much work I'm looking at before hand.

Tks..

C.
Re: CZ6A mod...
November 21, 2011 04:27PM
Don't have a CZ21 as out of water hunting however simply a plastic female attachment held on by a couple of pop rivets that I imagine could easily be moved onto any rod and have the analog CZ just slide on like original...
Have to research the configuration of the CZ21....
November 21, 2011 04:52PM
Unfortunately CZ21 has a pistol grip sort of like digital CZ's and control box is mounted on top whereas analog CZ's are mounted on a round rod....hopefully an informed modder can supply you with more data and might check the mod forums for ideas...
November 21, 2011 07:36PM
connortn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For you guys that have a CZ6a, CZ5, CZ3D etc with
> the S shaped rod, and have a CZ21 also, could you
> look at how the unit attaches to the shaft and see
> if the CZ6 family units could be mounted on the
> CZ21 straight shaft? If you have both, photos of
> the bottom of both units would be a great help!
> I'm sure it could be done, just want to see how
> much work I'm looking at before hand.
>
> Tks..
>
> C.

i will try and get you pictures of both! the 6a has a narrow slotted mounting bracket, the cz20/21 straight shaft mounting bracket is wide. if you can buy the cz6a mounting bracket from fisher you could mount it directly onto the cz20/21 straight shaft bracket and be good to go.
i hip mount my cz20 and my excal and use my cz20 shaft for both. much easier to hunt this way!!!!!!!
chuck.
November 22, 2011 12:17AM
Hi There,
I'm currently working on a pistol grip s rod like you described for my CZ6. This will be the second one I have made with a CZ-20 pistol grip. I make a mount for the top of the pistol grip using a7/8" plastic rod cut in half length wise and the original factor dovetail mount. The factory dovetail mount from Fisher is under $3.00
November 22, 2011 01:38AM
I had posted pics awhile back on how I have my CZ6a mounted on a straight shaft. I got a CZ upper rod assembly, cut the rod on both sides of the mounting bracket, drilled holes through it and attached it via nuts and bolts to the a straight shaft. The nuts are on the inside of the tube ( was tricky...had to use a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the nut in place while screwing in the bolt)

I use this set up for beach hunting and since I hunt by tone and dig all the mid and high tones, don't have to look at the meter. Super balance...can swing all day with either the 8 inch coil (which I use 90% of the time) or the 10.5 or Sunray 12.

[i1013.photobucket.com]
November 22, 2011 02:13AM
Thanks guys. Thats one fine looking stick there therover61!

What I'm attempting will be to put a CZ6A detector unit on a CZ21/F70/F75 type of thing. I have a CZ3D now, but hope to add the CZ6A to my arsenal. I assume that the 3D mount and the 6A mount are the same? I need to source a CZ21 or F? straight shaft somewhere. If I can get the shaft and the CZ21 or F? mount, I'm pretty sure I can work them togather, then I'll be ready for a 6A when one comes available.
November 22, 2011 03:14AM
Conn,

Not sure why you would want a CZ21 mount, when they are different than the CZ6a/CZ3D mount. Any straight shaft that can accommodate a lower rod of a CZ should work. What you have to fashion is some type of bracket that the CZ6A can slide into or get a CZ5/6a/3D upper rod assembly. I got lucky. I posted on another forum if anyone had an extra CZ5/6a/3D rod assembly and a person ended up giving me one for nothing.

You can get some thin sheet metal and cut to size so that the control box can slide onto it. . I did that for when I mounted my CZ20 on a straight shaft. I had to bend it a bit concavely so that the bolt heads were not in the way when the control box slide on. Works well.
November 22, 2011 02:58PM
Yep the CZ3D and CZ6A have the same mount if that helps..Nice friendly forum and hope the info you received from the other forum members help...Have to say some of our fellows are quite handy and make some good mods
one or three of them ought to be designing detectors as very inventive indeed...
From going to planted hunts just watch now as not fast enough but saw some dany mods along the way.
Heck must be the genes I guess as one hunt a fellow in his 90's was on the field in one hunt I was in years ago...
July 31, 2013 01:48AM
This is an old post but I am still looking to mod a straight shaft for my CZ6a now that I have one.

Therover... looking at your photo again, did you cut off the rear part of the excal shaft? All I have come across are longer in the back behind the arm cuff.

If this is what was done, I would be interested in finding one if anyone has one for sale or trade.
July 31, 2013 11:11AM
Connor,

The straight shaft I had for my Excal was a Babbs shaft. It did not have the extra foot or so of rod that would take it back behind the cuff like some of the other shafts out there (Plugger for instance).

So I just drilled 2 holes in the part of the rod as far back as I could go, and used an extra CZ6a rod part that had the bracket on it. I cut the rod behind each end of the bracket, leaving the bracket on the rod tube, as opposed to trying to pry off the bracket itself. I then drilled the 2 holes in the rod tube that has the bracket attached, and then attached that to the Babbs shaft.

You can probably use any straight shaft....where you want to mount the control box is up to you. Since I use the 8 inch coil almost all the time, where I have the control box mounted, makes the unit perfectly balanced. If you were going to use the 10.5 inch or even the 12 inch FZ coil, then you would need to mount the control box farther up the shaft for better balance since those coils are a bit heavier than the 8 inch, and a straight shaft that has the extra length behind the cuff would be the ticket since it has the extra length and you have more flexibility as to where you could mount the control box.

Hope that helped.
July 31, 2013 02:35PM
I realize a CZ may be a tad heavy and ergonomics are not the best but before I modded might try a chest mount for those long days at the shore or in the field...Always wondered why a CZ7 or CZ7A never caught on as ergonomics were super but didn't sell well and were short lived...
For those not familiar they had AA batteries under the armcup and were rod mount only...