Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

DEUS FINDS LARGE PENNY TONIGHT!!

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
DEUS FINDS LARGE PENNY TONIGHT!!
October 03, 2013 01:56AM
Hey all,

got out for a bit this eve. to an old 1800s bar site I've been hunting (grassy area out behind bar) --- have hunted it in the past and found silver (1940s) but -- found a 1919 Buffalo the other day/eve while out there so I went back again tonight.

Was hunting in Deus fast - 99 sens - 4 tones (love 4 tones!) 18 KH and GB at around 85

wasn't finding much tonight (a 1942 wheat - 1955 Jefferson) and some clad when all of a sudden I got a 94/95 (mostly 94) reading at approx. 8 inches deep

flipped it to 4 KH to check for iron but the numbers dropped down into the 80s so I knew it wasn't iron!

Dug out the hole and out popped a large coin that I couldn't make out as it was already too dark

I was hoping large cent or large token and not kennedy 1/2 as I knew it wasn't silver --- when I got home and shed some light on it - I could see what it was immediately!!

1834 BIG penny :-)

HH all

Re: DEUS FINDS LARGE PENNY TONIGHT!!
October 03, 2013 03:16AM
Nice !!!

Love Large Cent's...

Great dig!

Keith
October 03, 2013 03:48AM
Hi,,, Congratulations on finding the large cent I wish them things would come out of the ground in better shape....Certain ground conditions seem to be gentler on some of them....I popped a coin shaped object at dark last night too, my machines audio screamed Injun....When I got home and put on my goggles sure enough that's what it was....JJ
October 03, 2013 04:55AM
Just had to beat my 67' Indian tonight, didn't ya.....lol. Sweet man, bring that sucker with you next time we hunt. Maybe it will give me some luck in finding one....
October 03, 2013 12:54PM
Nice find my friend and indeed wish those big pennies would come out of the ground in better shape myself. Always remember the first one I found and almost threw away as I thought it was a slug...
October 03, 2013 08:05PM

Nice !!!

Love Large Cent's...

Great dig!

Keith

Thanks Keith... I thought that might get your attention!

Hi,,, Congratulations on finding the large cent I wish them things would come out of the ground in better shape....Certain ground conditions seem to be gentler on some of them....I popped a coin shaped object at dark last night too, my machines audio screamed Injun....When I got home and put on my goggles sure enough that's what it was....JJ

Thanks Jimmy - I hear you on the better cond. thing - many of them are toast when found in certain areas... I have found a few that are in fairly good condition though too.

Just had to beat my 67' Indian tonight, didn't ya.....lol. Sweet man, bring that sucker with you next time we hunt. Maybe it will give me some luck in finding one....

LoL - I wasn't trying to "beat" your Injun find Travis and we're not (you/me) in competition!

Dan-Pa. Wrote:

Nice find my friend and indeed wish those big pennies would come out of the ground in better shape myself. Always remember the first one I found and almost threw away as I thought it was a slug...

Thanks Dan... You make me laugh though! I also remember my 1st large cent and I almost did the same thing as I too thought it was a slug - was worn so smooth that you could only see a faint hint of lady liberty... I think I still have it around here someplace too!
October 04, 2013 12:35AM
Cool Coin. The first time I dug out a two cent piece,(1984) I did not know what it was. Never knew there was such a coin.
October 04, 2013 03:23AM
Nice...
October 04, 2013 12:28PM
Great coin. Still on my wish list.
October 05, 2013 05:51PM
My 1st and only one was completely undeterminable. After a few weeks of soaking in distilled water, the lady finally showed herself, along with a faint date, 1835.

Congrats on your 1834 large cent. Your ground conditions were much kinder than mine.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
October 06, 2013 02:15AM
Digs_alot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My 1st and only one was completely undeterminable.
> After a few weeks of soaking in distilled water,
> the lady finally showed herself, along with a
> faint date, 1835.
>
> Congrats on your 1834 large cent. Your ground
> conditions were much kinder than mine.

Digs_alot

if you dig Large Cents (or any copper coins) that have been in the ground for 100+ yrs anywhere that fertilizers, pesticides, and/or other chemicals have been used for any purpose ---- usually they are "toast" or close to it.

But I have also found a few that all you had to do is rinse them with water and they look/ed as good as new almost (no corrosion/pitting/etc.)... It all depends on where you find them...

I found an 1864 2 cent piece in a yard at the base of a tree like 20 yrs ago that looked almost as new as the day it was minted (except for being a little dark colored) but the details were astounding and it had no corrosion or pitting or any other signs of being in the ground for over 100 yrs...