Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

1850s Farm Site Digs -- Rockford MI :-)

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
1850s Farm Site Digs -- Rockford MI :-)
October 28, 2013 10:51AM
Hey all,

got out to an old iron infested (carpet of nails!) farm site this weekend (long gone) from the 1850s --- it's just a field now...

Machine used = Deus in Deus Fast - sens 90 - 4 tones - 18kh - disc 5.7 - GB varied 81 - 86 for an avg.

Dug anything/everything not hitting/sounding as iron :-)

Buttons, Large Cents, Silver 3 Cent Star, Indians, Bank Token, pewter items, copper pieces, toe tap, etc.

Pictures tell the story...

HH and good diggin out there :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2013 11:07AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
Re: 1850s Farm Site Digs -- Rockford MI :-)
October 28, 2013 03:24PM
Loads of history there and there must be more..the iron will wear you out but the ground changes during the year so hit it again if you can

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
October 28, 2013 04:53PM
Super saves. Loads of history their and great hunting. Those 3 centers are hard to find. I have found several Lead seals or Bale seals what ever they call them lol, but none with a date on it like yours. Cool!
Corey
October 28, 2013 09:15PM
Very good hunt. You had to be on your toes that day, I'm sure. Like docbars stated, those silver 3 center's are hard to come by.....only one for me.... Way to go Michigan.
October 28, 2013 10:44PM
Wow!

A load of interesting items, large cents, and to top it off, a 3-cent piece, all in a weekend.

I know you’re pleased with your finds, I sure would be.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
October 29, 2013 01:25AM
Wow! ....... congrat's. Love that lead seal also.

And in this nail-infested site...... how many of the targets ID'd correctly.... before the shovel hit the dirt!
October 29, 2013 03:10AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow! ....... congrat's. Love that lead seal
> also.
>
> And in this nail-infested site...... how many of
> the targets ID'd correctly.... before the shovel
> hit the dirt!

1st of all - thanks for all the input guys :-)

and yes - those 3 cent silvers are hard - I've only found 2 in 30 yrs of detecting (this one and one about 15 yrs ago on another farm site).

As for the ID'ing Tom

the only pieces I remember id'ing "absolutely" correct are one of the LG cents (94) - the bank token (96) (found one a few weeks back that ID'd exactly the same) - the large round button Id'd in the 90s which given that it's copper and it's size is about right I'd say - the tag thing next to it also in the 90s and some of the bits/pieces of copper/lead/etc.

many of the coins and other items were off by 5 to 6 numbers or more except the other LG cent ID'd at 91 (typically a dime signal on the Deus) - the Indians were off a good 8 numbers or so (id'ing in the 70s which usually are in the upper 80s) - the silver 3 center was very low for a silver piece (if I came across that number/tone hunting in a park/etc. I'd pass it by as junk) - it ID'd 71 on the VID and as a mid/low tone - the lead seal I can't say for 100% sure as it's the 1st one I've found with the Deus but it ID'd in the 68/69 range which is high for lead on the Deus (usually lead is more in the upper 40s/low 50s range)

some of the copper pieces ID'd in the brass range (lower than usual) both in tone and VID and the pewter I can't say for sure either as I haven't found much of it with the Deus yet

this is all based on using the 18kh freq. which you know is subject to having different VID's and tones if using a different freq.

HH all :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2013 04:19AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
October 29, 2013 03:44AM
Nice 3center Wayne!!

those are tough..Congrat's...

The ones I have found have come from camps sites.. never one out of a House site...Great coin !!!

Those lead seals are nice too..They went on Boxcar shipped goods of digferent kind's to make sure the shipment was intact...

I dig them in camp site's around here very rarely in house site's ...Some ay they were attached to bales of cotton too...but they usually have the cotton company mark on them....the dated ones seem to be railroad...your's actually has the railroad Co letters across the top I believe...

I got into an abandoned depot one time down in Alabama and I really truly got tired of digging those thing's LOL!!...Me and another guy must of dug 75 or 80 in front of the depot.....they were pre civil war date's....they sounded so good in the iron I was scared to pass them up...I was thinking one might be a Gold coin a passenger dropped...
October 29, 2013 04:22AM
Great detecting there Wayne. Gets me anxous to get out, working out of town, may be awhile.
October 29, 2013 04:37AM

Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

Nice 3center Wayne!!

those are tough..Congrat's...

The ones I have found have come from camps sites.. never one out of a House site...Great coin !!!

Those lead seals are nice too..They went on Boxcar shipped goods of digferent kind's to make sure the shipment was intact... I dig them in camp site's around here very rarely in house site's ...Some say they were attached to bales of cotton too...but they usually have the cotton company mark on them....the dated ones seem to be railroad...your's actually has the railroad Co letters across the top I believe...

I got into an abandoned depot one time down in Alabama and I really truly got tired of digging those thing's LOL!!...Me and another guy must of dug 75 or 80 in front of the depot.....they were pre civil war date's....they sounded so good in the iron I was scared to pass them up...I was thinking one might be a Gold coin a passenger dropped...

Thanks Keith!

I believe you're right in it being from a R&R co.

here's a picture of the reverse side showing what I think is the actual R&R co. :-)

October 29, 2013 03:45PM
I have sold plenty of lead railroad seals for a premium.......... to RR collectors. They can be worth a lot of money.

The targets that mis-ID'd...... are usually due to iron skewing/masking.......... and mineralization. I have had plenty of high conductive coins ID...... all the way down to 'foil'..... and even lower (into the iron range) ....... whilst hunting Indian War sites and old home sites loaded with nails. This is common. Beware!
October 29, 2013 05:07PM
MRH:
I would check your railroad history up in your area, I bet you can match that seal with your local railroad of the day. I have one that matched the old B&O RR.
Corey