Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Underwater VLF in saltwater - CZ-21 or Excal2?? Which to choose?

Posted by Johnnyanglo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Underwater VLF in saltwater - CZ-21 or Excal2?? Which to choose?
November 12, 2013 04:06AM
If you were choosing an underwater VLF detector for mineralized saltwater surf use - which would be the one? Fisher CZ-21 or Excal2? Or is there something else?

I'm thinking in terms of excelling in iron rejection while obtaining small low-conductors in salt water in chest-high water or deeper. My concern is also with depth/sensitivity in mineralized soil.

Anyone have any practical ideas which way to go?

I'm thinking of also using a Sea Hunter Mark 2 - but would want something for the days when not digging iron is the best choice (and along the wet sand tide line).
Re: Underwater VLF in saltwater - CZ-21 or Excal2?? Which to choose?
November 12, 2013 04:59AM
Both are good machines in their own right Johnny (I've owned both in the past) but ultimately kept and used the cz20 for 15 yrs and then a cz21 for 3 yrs due to weight issues, the knob issue (which I heard ML fixed/improved), and the tone ID as I didn't like the ex-cal's flutey sounds VS the 3 tone ID of the cz and I also didn't like the weight - was very heavy even when chest mounted but I've heard the newer versions are a little lighter due to a redeveloped coil...

But,

on one hand the cz has the faint audio boost feature for deep targets that are hard to hear - has the classic/basic 3 tone ID and when chest/hip mounted can be swung all day

and on the other

the ex-cal has the "iron mask" feature for checking a target as to if it's iron or not (very nice feature) - also has adjustable threshold where the cz doesn't.

both will find avg. to large sized gold targets but neither will find tiny/thin gold being locked in salt mode (I've tested the theory several times) ---- you can stick a thin gold chain or thin gold cross or tiny/thin gold ring or a small ear-ring directly ON the coil of both machines and you'll not even get a peep out of either one...

That is where the struggle with salt locked machines in saltwater environments ensue ---- it may pay to add the PI to the collection but many of them also will not see the tiny/thin gold either (have tested that theory too)...

The BEST water machine for tiny/thin gold I've ever used was the Whites SurfMaster II (not in production anymore) but it was the most sensitive gold sniffin machine for water use ever made as long as it was used in fresh water! The new/er version (Beach Hunter 300) doesn't even come close to the old surfmaster II for tiny/thin gold huntin

Hopes this helps a bit

HH and good luck with your choice in whatever you decide...

MRH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2013 05:22AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
Re: Underwater VLF in saltwater - CZ-21 or Excal2?? Which to choose?
November 12, 2013 01:54PM
Either is a good choice and guess it depends on your beaches and personal preferences as many do well with either.

Used land CZ's and Sov's on N.J. saltwater beaches and both worked well so again your call....