Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Park hunter detector

Posted by Lawrenzo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Park hunter detector
March 27, 2011 05:22PM
tmanly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If the etrac was too heavy, then I would get a
> Swingy thingy. Harness.... They are just too
> good to not use one. I have two parks here and
> with other detectors I found plenty of stuff, $261
> clad, rings, some silver. But when I got the
> Etrac
> it was like hunting the parks for the first time.
> Only the coins were older and deeper.
>
> Tom in SC

hi tom!
when you are using your e-trac,are you using the factory programmed setting,or something custom?
just curious!..thanks!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
March 28, 2011 10:31PM
I use a modified version of the stock program. Coin mode with Fast on, Deep off, most of the time I use two tone ferrous. Sensitivity is auto +3,
Listen to the threshold tone, if it is dropping out a lot, I will slow down my pace and swing. Or I will do a cross search where I will search north to south and then search the same area east to west. The threshold is almost like an all metal mode and will tell you a lot. Makes it easy to determine if a target is a false signal or not. Often running manual sensitivity at high levels will cause the threshold to drop out at a greater rate. this may be because of interference or with the greater depth you are just seeing more targets. One thing that I have noticed is that discrimination does not seem to reduce depth very much. BUT with a more advanced discrimination pattern and other changes like deep on, fast on, higher sensitivity will slow down the proccessor. More info for it to process. This is obvious with the longer nulls when the threshold drops out. One final note is that I never look at the ferrous numbers. I only look at the conductive numbers and watch for a good stable number. Only when a high tone that I feel may be a bottle cap do I watch the ferrous numbers. If they jump high to low on the ferrous it is always a bottle cap. I am digging a lot less trash and finding a lot better quality targets. If you are a clad hunter , never use deep on, It makes shallow targets do crazy things..

Please understand that I have only had my Etrac for 7 weeks now...

Tom in SC
March 29, 2011 07:23AM
wow!..this will certainly require 'adjustments" in one's thought processes!
as a wise man once extolled!."it's the first day of school!..fellas!"
just sayin!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
March 29, 2011 01:33PM
Those pesty screw caps really make you check them twice. Crowns and pull tabs are pretty specific on the SE as to where they locate on the smartscreen. Beaver tails can be a challenge if you are digging for nickels. If you arent cherry picking then no doubt you arent going to dig just the good targets. For me, i still like the ML even thou its slow there is a lot of information on that depth and smartscreen. They arent light..... but the swingy thingy is an option. I guess i put it down a lot while digging that i dont notice the weight. Most of your trash .... except screw caps for some reason seems to be fairly shallow.

Dew
April 09, 2011 06:32PM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use to hunt parks and schools but after reading
> all the info on crown caps and such I wonder if it
> is really worth the effort? Speaking with Cal the
> Etrac seems to give info on how to pass up crown
> caps...but it is too heavy for me. The light
> weight detectors seem to have a problems. I don't
> think you can get away from pulltabs on any
> machine? So what do you park/school hunters do to
> avoid so much trash?

Crown caps are a pain in the @$$.
I have the worlds largest vintage crown cap and pull tab collection available now but wait, act now, we'll double your order and you get free shipping !!!!!

Crown caps with a CZ3D are not always an issue.They will usually bounce from high coin to iron. Simply turn your desc off if you don't believe the fuzzy high coin hit your getting is real or not. You'll get the iron bell. This is the easy way when you've got high sens and discretion turned up.

Crown caps will only sometimes hit like a sharp high coin or nickle with a repeatable sharp tone but not often.
Most of the time they do sound different. Usually you can hear them before you dig them.
They will have a dull scratchy beginning and end to the tone. When you listen to a crown cap versus a coin you know exactly what I'm talking about.
The coin will sound sharp and crisp because the edge is well defined. A crown cap will not as that ragged edge can be heard if you train yourself to listen for it.
Mind you that I'm only referring to the very beginning and the very end of the sound.
This is kind of similar to the sound of a nail with the faceted point that sometimes fools you on a CZ if you don't rotate on it.
The amount of sweep gives them away especially if they are laying flat. There is often slightly more duration in the sweep like hitting a half dollar.
Grant.........Re: Park hunter detector
April 09, 2011 06:54PM
"I have the worlds largest vintage crown cap and pull tab collection available now but wait, act now, we'll double your order and you get free shipping."

Let's just say I laughed pretty hard on that one.