Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Depth & Discrimination

Posted by Arthur-Canada 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Depth & Discrimination
November 30, 2013 06:32PM
I have been detecting seriously now for over 10 years. I recently bought an old Fisher 1265 detector that I have really enjoyed using. I usually run the disc.-1 at about 4. I know the machine goes really deep, but I'm not sure how deep the disc. goes. I have dug coins and about 7" on this setting, but I've always wondered if I lowered the disc to 3 or even 2, would I start pulling out deeper coins and would it be worth it with all the extra iron I will start to dig up as well?

Does anyone have experience with this method and can honestly say their good finds count went up as they lowered the discrimination?
Re: Depth & Discrimination
November 30, 2013 11:11PM
Hi Arthur.
It is generaly accepted Arthur that lowering disc allows better depth, but there are exceptions to this rule of thumb.

Whe you are out detecting on your Next hunt and you get good repeatable two way signals from a target,Lower your disc and or increase it and see what happens.
It should give you a very good idea how your disc helps or hinders the audable responses and depth of your machine, and even sensitivity.

This would in my opinion be the same for most other detectors.
Keith
Whiggy
December 01, 2013 01:23AM
"Exceptions to this rule of thumb".........Little or no depth lost with a CZ or Wilson Coin and Relic.....with unit in high Disc....Am sure there are more.....

1265-1266 with all the snap-crackle and pop always drove me bonkers but had a buddy for years that really got some super deep coins with a 1266 and hopefully one of the old diehard users can add some tips...as good as I am with a CZ is as bad I was with a 1266 so no help here....
Certainly made like a tank with super ergonomics and indeed the favorite of many relic hunters....
December 01, 2013 01:32AM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Exceptions to this rule of thumb".........Little
> or no depth lost with a CZ or Wilson Coin and
> Relic.....with unit in high Disc....Am sure there
> are more.....
>
> 1265-1266 with all the snap-crackle and pop always
> drove me bonkers but had a buddy for years that
> really got some super deep coins with a 1266 and
> hopefully one of the old diehard users can add
> some tips...as good as I am with a CZ is as bad I
> was with a 1266 so no help here....
> Certainly made like a tank with super ergonomics
> and indeed the favorite of many relic hunters....

I have a Wilson Relic & Coin 2 and I agree it is hard to beat for quite operation in iron infested ground. However, I have almost never run it with disc higher than "salt" setting so I can't really say how much depth would be lost going above pull tab setting. I know in air testing it does not seem to lose any depth. This Fisher 1265 has more depth than the Wilson, that much I can tell.
December 01, 2013 02:09PM
Wilson Relic and Coin 4 had a switch on the back that gave more depth than the 2 model which was basically the same. Coils haven't been made for these units in years and understand Wilson no longer repairs them for your info. Indeed the 1265 was deep unit in the hands of a learned operator but the Wilson handled bad ground better and even excelled on N.J. saltwater beaches and a depth demon itself...You might find out more info on a forum for old units as it seems this forum has a lot of members that use the newest units for the most part.
December 05, 2013 05:20PM
I pulled out a 1912 - 1 cent piece at 13" this year. It had a clear copper signature to it and I thought it was down about 5". I just about gave up on digging it when I was at 10" because I thought it was an underground cable or something. I kept going till my pin pointer zeroed in on it accurately. To my AMAZEMENT, it was this penny! 13"???? wtf! I'm glad I picked up this Deep Tech Vista Gold this year to try it out. I am DEFINATELY not disappointed!
December 05, 2013 06:11PM
One thing about the old 1265/1266 Arthur is the Disc only works to a certain depth.....then all is heard no matter the disc setting..

The disc conrtrol is full disc type so zero is basically all metal accept ...

The unique thing about the design and fisher was really on to something...They knew depth of disc circuit is limited and the good stuff is going to be deepr than the newer stuff.(sink rate) so why not offer a unit that jsut disc the newer layer then th eolder layer will have to be dug...Oh sure there is subtle hints ot deep iron and such but in a relic hutns all will be dug for the most part anyway..And the machien was sold as a relic machine...

Thats why people find the 126x to be so deep...airtest one they sound off very well on say a 16 inch quarter....but a 16 inch piece of iron will sound like that also...now a quarter at 5 inches and the piece of iron at 5 inch's will sound different the quarter will be smooth the iron will be spitty...

They also had less filtering of the signal which allowed alot of bleed of rejected target's....

Keith
December 05, 2013 07:06PM
Sounds like you dug a Canadian cent?

those 1912 1 center's are big from up that way..

Good find!

we dig them occasionally even in the south,, at first you think you have a early large cent like 1830 or so...then you see what it is..

Keith