Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Deus Questions: (????) (Edited for clarification of quoted material)

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Deus Questions: (????) (Edited for clarification of quoted material)
December 05, 2013 04:15PM
I always......"thought"....that it was wise to use "Deus Fast" ( Reactivity 3 @18 khz) when scanning carpets of nails with the Deus. And in clean ground.....I would go back one program to "GM Power" (Reactivity 2 @ 18 khz). But I am willing to change my thinking and become more efficient. Can I conclude from the above quote (which I copied out of NasaTom's XP Deus Real World Test) that I can use a reactivity of 2 in the nail carpets it be as effective as a reactivity of 3???
If changing the Reactivity settings to higher settings do not enable the XP Deus to unmask nonferrous items from ferrous.....then really, all the Reactivity settings do are allow for a faster or slower swing speed....as the case may be.
Please understand that I am NOT disagreeing with the quoted text. Not at all. I am just trying to ptimize my unit for the very very best unmasking, which, of course, all of us are trying to do probably. I tend to migrate TOWARDS the nail beds......and AWAY from 'clean ground' because all of the good stuff that I have ever found, was found in a carpet of nails. Thanks for any feedback. This is a very interesting subject because it directly invovles discussion about unlocking the door that hides MANY MANY historical items!!!!! And coins!!!! Here is the quote from NasaTom's post. (I have edited it because I got the quote mixed up with my words. Sorry about that.

In carpets of nails........... changing the Reactivity settings........... up to.......... and including '5'......... provided no additional unmasking capabilities. In theory, the principle seems sound/valid; yet, in the real-world....... the end-resultant dictated no additional gain. I surmise/speculate....... once the coil has 'saturated' too many targets within the field-intensity footprint of the coil......... no additional gain can/could be realized. [ QUOTE]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2013 10:29PM by Kevin B.
Re: Deus Questions: (????)
December 05, 2013 05:37PM
Kevin,

I think you uncovered, within your analysis and questions, how to utilize/optimize Reactivity settings on the Deus....ALTER THE SWEEP SPEED. I was messing around with my Deus (3.2 version) this weekend at a spot on a beach ( dry sand) loaded with ALL typed of garbage. Nails, big iron, foil, can slaw, etc. It was a spot by a boardwalk repair/demo site.

Was running Deus fast and I was finding clad as well as small charms, along with small grommets, brass, etc. I raised the Reactivity to 4 and there was not much change in the separation aspects since I was pretty much using the same sweep speed. When I slowed down a bit, I did notice I was hitting on dimes and quarters that were much closer to trash and with a more noticable difference in target tone ( ie, was not blended, choppy, etc)...it was more clear and pronounced.

Now I am not sure if this was just my imagination or not, of if I was just in a different spot where some of the coins were actually closer to trash than at other spots, and reactivity of 3 with the somewhat faster sweep speed would have hit them, but I do know that when I l slowed down and was running at 4, the target ID SOUND ( was using wireless and the control box in my pocket so I was strictly tone hunting), was more pronounced and sounded a bit 'better'

So I believe you are correct in surmising that the sweep speed works in conjunction with the reactivity level and to optimize, you have to find the right combination of both.

Glad you are back in the Deus camp because as I stated before, you found some pretty darn good stuff with the last one you had. I think the hunting spots you go to and the conditions you hunt in ( nails, nails, nails) make the Deus and super unit for you.
Re: Deus Questions: (????)
December 05, 2013 07:03PM
I have found 3 to be slightly better than 2 ..When applicable!

4-5 becomes so quick that you can't tell a false hit from a legitimate hit..
In other words theres no audible intelligence..

I never ventured past 3 or I would spend my time analyzing quick fasle hits that sounded the same as a good hit...

It may also be noted that the 2 is faster than the F75...I believe reading the f-75 would be equal to about 1.5..

You will find the 3 reactivity to work best on 18kHz also...as this freq allows for more reactivity...

the 12kHz is best left on 2 reactivity never 3......

also remember the faster you get the shallower it goes..

Now you can counter act the falsing with higher Silencer setting's...but then you are detuning one to help the other and you really make no gain's for unmasking...

the best is to keep the silencer low like 0 or -1and stay at no more than 3 reactivity If you can discern the audio, But usually 2 is more intelligent and better than any other at machine at unmasking in small iron....

Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2013 04:34AM by Keith Southern.
Re: Deus Questions: (????) (Edited for clarification of quoted material)
December 05, 2013 10:37PM
Keith, for a "HAPPY MEDIUM", between maximum depth and maximum unmasking capabilities.....could my setting look like this and be optimal: Reactivity: 3....... Silencer: minus 1......Frequency:18khz Sensitivity: 98 or 99 Tones: 2 Discrimination: 2.6
Of course, a proper ground balance is performed. If I have missed anything.....please let me know. This is for a very nail carpeted area with possible relics/coins UNDER the nails. (I just got a call from a neighbor who is fixed me a supper plate......gotta run get it. That's why I'm not more thorough and may have missed a setting. Thanks for both of you fellows feedback!!!!!!!! VERY MUCH. Merry CHRISTmas.
December 05, 2013 10:53PM
Good disc setting Kevin...If you can get by with the sens that high by all means stay there...And alway's 2 tone's...Keep the audio gate open ...we are just concerned with if its iron or not....

On the reactivity on 18kHz I like the reactivity of 3 when set with a zero silencer...if I use the -1 I drop the reactivity to 2...Too noisy otherwise

I might add the 3 reactivity and zero silencer is best used on spots you can't pull anything more out of, minus false signal chasing....

But for a more intelligent hunt reactivity 2 silencer -1 is better than anything made....its just if you want to get adventurous and really want to try your hand and some noise interpretation the 0 silencer 3 reactivity is about as far as you will go in nail's....if you pull the silencer up to say 1 or 2 and stay on 3 reactivity it wont unmask as well as staying on -1 silencer and using 2..so you see theres a breaking point between the settings of reactivity and silencer...the lowest silencer does more for unmasking than the exactness of the tone break I have found....The tone break exactness is critical but the real magic is in the silencer when coupled with variable tone break ..

I think the lightning fast 4-5 reactivity are reserved for some specialized type hunts not in iron or maybe very little of it...

One thing I liked on the DEUS was it was a great teaching tool if you played with it..Switch your fast recovery settings to 8khz and watch what happens as you try to run it...does not really obey does it...Play with it awhile and you will see first hand why detectors act like they do for the most part by the freq they are built on...

Keith

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2013 06:53AM by Keith Southern.
December 05, 2013 11:56PM
Wow!!!! Thanks Keith!!!!! You just gave me the equivalent of an awesome Christmas present!!!!! And now, if I can get the weatherman to give me some good weather.....I am going to a PERFECT learning spot that is very THICH with iron nails and the occasional non-ferrous. By no means have I hunted this place out!!!! I found an OLD OLD pocket knife there yesterday afternoon. Ya know.....If I can just develop and maintain some will power......I will hold on to this Deus and learn this unit up and down.....through and through. I sure appreciate you pointing mr in the right direction.
December 06, 2013 01:00AM
Good thread. I am going to report back next time I go to that trashed up spot. Since I was running Deus fast, I was not in 2 tone. Going to try some of the settings you guys mentioned.

Bear in mind this spot has more of a variety of trash, and iron may not be the most prevalent. Lots of mid conductive targets in very close proximity. I am mainly looking for higher conductive targets like clad and silver, since trying to pull gold at this spot would be like relic hunting and dig all. It's easy digging,but I am just learning the Deus so the main thing at this point is the fast recovery and cherry picking coins. I may bring the VIsta Gold with the small coil and compare notes.

Tell you one thing. Swinging other units that are heavier and have coil cable and headphone wires, and then switching to the Deus, is a PLEASURE.
December 06, 2013 02:45AM
For consolidation purposes and...... especially: congruency..... this thread should have been posted on the XP Deus Field Test thread.

In 1) no, 2) low, 3) medium mineralization........... 18-Khz ALWAYS gave maximum depth performance. Reactivity 1, 2 or 3..... are the only true usable performers. There is a very, very slight gain with target separation in carpets of nails .... by using Reactivity '3'. ----- Never once did 4-Khz, 8-Khz or 12-Khz outperform 18-Khz....... even in clean/clear areas (and on copper/silver high conductive coins).
December 06, 2013 03:52AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ----- Never once did 4-Khz, 8-Khz or 12-Khz
> outperform 18-Khz....... even in clean/clear areas
> (and on copper/silver high conductive coins).

Would this include the G-Maxx II (4.6 kHz) compared to the Gold Maxx Power (18 kHz) and the Deus?
December 06, 2013 04:43AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> For consolidation purposes and...... especially:
> congruency..... this thread should have been
> posted on the XP Deus Field Test thread.
>
> In 1) no, 2) low, 3) medium
> mineralization........... 18-Khz ALWAYS gave
> maximum depth performance. Reactivity 1, 2 or
> 3..... are the only true usable performers. There
> is a very, very slight gain with target separation
> in carpets of nails .... by using Reactivity '3'.
> ----- Never once did 4-Khz, 8-Khz or 12-Khz
> outperform 18-Khz....... even in clean/clear areas
> (and on copper/silver high conductive coins).
NasaTom I thought about it, but I didn't want to be discourteous. Maybe one of the moderators can link the two....or I can....if i can figure it out. I apologize for not being efficient. I hate to sound like a stuck record but I bounce my time around sitting at the computer and trying to learn and going and cleaning up after my bedridden mother who is entering into a very disturbing stage of her Alzheimer's. She is starting to not recognize me and shouting and just general mayhem. And I'm a peaceful sort. I'm sure that with all of the computer technical skills here that someone can help me figure out how to marry this thread to your main Deus thread. I fully apologize. I am just not thinking with all available thinking material.
December 06, 2013 04:48AM
I copied it over there for you Kevin!

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2013 06:52AM by Keith Southern.
December 06, 2013 05:00PM
Kevin...... NEVER a problem! Just trying to be efficient.
Ron........ I never tried the 4.6-Khz XP, , , so I'm disqualified to give good/accurate data. (I could only speculate).
December 06, 2013 05:06PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> I copied it over there for you Kevin!
>
> Keith

Thank you Keith......you're a good man!!!! And NasaTom was very very correct. I should have stated my question in his XP Deus Field Test Report. After thinking about it some, I confess that my true motive was to get immediate attention of my question. I figured that it might have gone un-noticed in the large thread. But, that is not to say that what I stated above (as my primary excuse) is not true......because every word is true. But it was not PRIMARY in my decision to begin a new thread. And too, in all fairness, I often see XP Deus questions pop up on this forum in the form of their own thread.
But I humbly stand corrected in the intense interest of good diplomacy and tactfulness.
Thanks again Keith. I had some more questions.......but I'll figure it out. That's half of the fun. And thanks for the replies that I got on this thread. They have been very helpful.
December 07, 2013 02:53AM
Quite welcome Kevin..

Merry Christmas to you to Sir!

Keith