Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

5x10 DD coil on the GMP initial thought's

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
5x10 DD coil on the GMP initial thought's
December 20, 2013 03:10AM
Tmanly was kind enough to let me borrow His 5x10 DD GMP coil..

Heres what I see so far..

No depth LOL!!

but that's not a bad thing...

But the coil is going to be pure specialty.By this I mean even thick carpet's of grass you will be better off with the 9 inch...

But if you have surface targets to 3-4 inch deep targets intermingled it's very precise if you can get the coil to the soil...more so than the Stock 9..

Deep iron will just plain high tone on this coil....Hence thick grass will casue a airgap and high tones galore...

I actullay found turning the power back to half on this coil was of benefit for surface iron work,When I could get the coil to raw dirt that is

I found targets easier than having it wide open sens and chasing false hits that this coil is plagued with...

The coil is amazingly tight though for the surface to first few inch's work..like nothing I have seen actually...it's almost like a Gold Bug 2 in response to small target's but wroks better in iron...

The tip if the coil is the hot spot it so seems..by this I mean the best tone I.D. occurs in the tip section...I think this is by design...the tip also isolates a target like no other I have seen...with the blending the machine offers you can actually isloate a target in the tip !!! while other target's are in other spots under the coil...

the coil is remarkable in iron yet its got to be the right spot to use it...It has one of the tightest sweet spots I have seen...

Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2013 06:22AM by Keith Southern.
Re: 5x10 DD coil on the GMP intial thought's
December 20, 2013 03:17AM
Thanks Keith for the report. Sure hope when the NEL 5" coil becomes available, it does better on the depth.
December 20, 2013 12:07PM
Keith = Fairly similar results that I found..... and also reported/documented.
Re: 5x10 DD coil on the GMP initial thought's
December 20, 2013 03:15PM
Keith I have another "toy" on the way. After I play for a bit, I will share with you also.

Tom in SC
December 20, 2013 03:43PM
Hey Tom.. I have tried to look for the report to read it but I seem to no be able to find it....

One thing I found fantastic on the coil is yesterday I was in a site with lots of iron ..I mean lots of iron all sizes tons of nails...but actually managed to find a P-Cap of the pisitol variety..and they are a bit smaller than a regular P-cap...Sort of like a regular P-cap wihtout the wing's sticking off the sides...and it came out fo some awfully dense iron...

Ive found them before but never in iron intermingled of any sort...

Keith
December 20, 2013 04:02PM
Sounds Great Tman!!

Thank you..

Keith
December 21, 2013 02:52AM
Hmmmm. Somewhere on this forum , I wrote a very definative report on that coil. (I even found a 1885 'V' nickel with that coil. This is a key date V). Would like to think that I consolidated it with the GMP field test report.
December 21, 2013 03:05AM
Hey Tom I dug through the GMP filed test and I saw the report on the 5x10 but no nickle..

I will go look for it thoruhg the search engine...now that we have the 1885 date to work with..It must not be inside the GMP thread..

Keith
December 21, 2013 03:10AM
Yes........... bottom of the second page of the XP GOLD MAXX POWER GMP thread is the 5 x 10 DD coil report.
Now........... as for the 1885 V nickel.......... should be on the home page ... with the other rare/key date coins report....... to include photo's.
December 21, 2013 06:33AM
Gotcha Tom!!

Hey Tom did you notice the Toe of the coil having a SWEET SPOT?

By this I mean if theres a higher tone than iron it seems to come in the best and cleanly right in the toe area ...

And yes the coil is smaller than 5x10 isnt it...its actually quite small....especially when you see the toe area doing its majic that spot in the toe area is like 3x4 or somthing is it not...

if the 5 inch Nel does not have any more depth than the 5x10 factory coil I dont think the factory elliptical can be trumped....

that coil has the tightest report in the nose I have ever seen...I believe the way it reports continuously in the audio allows the coil to paint a picture...you hear the iron tone yet mid or high tone reporting at the same time that the GMP allows to happen and you sort of know that higher tone is going to be in the tip...

I had some mid tones go high by pulling the coil back til it got in the nose..yet iron tone coming in also...started digging and the high tone brass target's were in the nose spot the other iron was in the rear part of the coil and/or center....Very unique coil for sure..

Im sure the 9 inch exhibits the hot spot yet its so big it not as defined as the laser coil...

thank's

Keith
December 21, 2013 11:27AM
Most small/medium brass' conductive ID is a mid-tone. By virtue of sweeping the small/medium brass target under the tip of the coil (vs center of the coil) would allow the detector to 'up-average' the ID to a higher (incorrect ID)...... yet...... making it easier to delineate/differentiate. This provides another data-point/data-input for determining dig/no-dig.