Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

A New Gold Prospecting Forum

Posted by Steve Herschbach 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
A New Gold Prospecting Forum
December 17, 2013 03:50PM
A different subject than this forum for sure but there is some overlap. For prospectors it is all about getting non-ferrous targets out of highly mineralized ground, and often a lot of ferrous trash is involved. The emphasis therefore tends to be pulse induction and high frequency induction balance detectors.

I just fired up a new forum for prospectors at [www.detectorprospector.com] that you may want to check out if the subject of gold interests you. I do hunt for gold of all types, so jewelry detecting will also be a subject discussed a lot. Check it out.
Re: A New Gold Prospecting Forum
December 18, 2013 01:20AM
looks good and ill be joining in soon. Theres a few of us here who like looking for little yellow rocks!
December 18, 2013 02:22AM
I'll be joining as well, Steve.

I have only had one brief experience detecting for native gold, and failed miserably. I was on my friend's gold claim in Colorado; he was dredging the river and finding decent amounts of gold. I was using my Gold Bug Pro, and off I went. Eventually, I learned what most hot rocks sounded like. However, there were a few that sounded really good -- subtle little "zip-zip-zip" sounds that would fool me. So, after hunting awhile, and finding nothing but those pesky "good-sounding" hot rocks, I took one back to camp, and set it on the ground -- and borrowed a small nugget from my friend. I set them side by side, and ran the coil over them...the sound was indistinguishable to me...

So, I gave up and decided to hunt an old prospector's camp nearby (and found some neat relics and a few CO tax tokens).

Steve
December 21, 2013 01:54AM
Steve, I joined your site and it states that I can not post a new topic. I looked for instructions on what would be required and could not find the reason for being blocked.

Thanks
Tom in SC
December 21, 2013 02:21AM
Looks like nice site..

Not much of a gold Hunter myself...

But I have done a little and one thing I have found is if you are after deep fringe relics an all metal mode and a understanding of all metal prospecting mode stlye of hunt is very similar in alot of way's,,,Just looking for whisper signal's in funky dirt.!!

Not sure I would be much of a contributor on your site but I might Join up and see what's going on..

Those miner 49er sites out west are really intriguing to me just for the relics and history they possess..The Western history I find to be some of the most fascinating ...Boomtown relics I would love to hunt...

Keith
December 21, 2013 03:29AM
You are a wealth of knowledge Keith and know more about metal detecting for gold than most gold prospectors. It really is just pure straight up all metal detecting. All that matters is target acquisition, and the general bias against using discrimination of any sort really makes it fun. It is simply all about how deep can you hit stuff and how small is the stuff you can hit. The sad reality like all types of detecting 10% of the people really know how to detect for gold and are making 90% of the finds. A rather sadly large number are just out there swinging a coil around with little or no chance of finding anything but junk.

I am a firm believer that in any location where high value targets exist people will slowly but surely be forced to use either VLF all metal or a PI and just dig it all. Look at what is happening with the Civil War relic guys. First people in are picky and use lots of discrimination but as time passes the sites go dead. So now they are going back with PI detectors. Even then tricks can be employed to select targets, but how many good items are being masked by junk? There always will be one more guy willing to dig just that much more than the last guy until nothing is left.

The same thing is happening in the gold fields. First guys in are picky but as time passes places are just being totally depleted of all targets. Leading people like me to always have a warm fuzzy as long as I can find something, anything in the ground.

The only thing worse than digging junk is digging nothing at all. It gets so bad you start rolling the rock and raking the brush, and if allowable, scraping the surface away. But finally the spot is clean and done. All I can say is thank God for jewelry detecting. It is the one kind of gold that is always replenishing.
December 21, 2013 06:21AM
Thanks for the nice words Steve!

Means alot coming form a lifelong prospector...

I understand you on the way it goes in the detecting world...

Thats one of the reasons I just stay in the densest iron holes...I dont have depth and discrimination to hunt the hunted out battlefields that is now required....so Iron unmasking is the order fo the day and is at times productive and for the most part theres no or little competition ..Most just swing through call it dead an dismiss it so I like the challenge and yes I like to at times just dig one piece out of a Known historic site to PROVE history...Just one piece!

I actually do like at times to prospect for relics...just go out with a GOOD threshold based all metal mode like a 5900 and just listen to it purr along and enjoy the day...I dont even care if I dig anything at times I just enjoy the sound of my headphone's and being out swinging...

the TDI has that beautiful thresh also...

No body on my opinion can generate a threshold like a Big Box White's..

Keith
December 21, 2013 04:03PM
hey Steve... i joined the site,but cant seem to post...using my phone(galaxy3). Any ideas??
December 21, 2013 04:17PM
Validation email probably got lost in your Inbox somewhere. I just manually validated you, you are good to go. I am seeing that a lot with cell phones.

This sounds right up your ally Keith [www.detectorprospector.com]
December 21, 2013 05:01PM
I had the same problem as Ray, but they validated me this morning. Looking forward to learning on your site Steve.
December 21, 2013 05:45PM
Thanks bud