Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Teknetics G2 info - since I am now snowbound

Posted by Rod-PA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Teknetics G2 info - since I am now snowbound
January 22, 2014 08:45PM
As this is day number 2 of our new deep freeze and 10" new snow, I am going through withdrawal already. Sunday and Monday were barely above freezing, so I was limited to about 2 hrs each day, trying to get used to the new G2. I did manage some clad change, an old hotwheels car and my first ever Franklin half dollar. I have read through everything I can find on this site regarding the G2 and gold bug, but I am curious if any folks out there can add random tidbits of information about pitfalls I can try to avoid, tips for using the G2, etc. I am hoping this new information can get me through until this snow melts. Thanks very much.

Rod

Rod - PA
Tom D calibrated F75 DST - so deep I pulled some Chinese coins using a hole in PA.
Re: Teknetics G2 info - since I am now snowbound
January 22, 2014 08:52PM
Congrats on the HALF!!!.

One thing to keep in mind on the G2 is the DD and 18khz loves round rusty objects..so if your park hunting watch out for crown caps

and if you venture into a late 1800's house site small coin size pieces of tin will get annoying quick..always reading in the 80's and sounding good.

You will learn tricks as you go though but do be prepared for more false type iron hits than you may be used to..

keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2014 11:18PM by Keith Southern.
January 22, 2014 10:41PM
On my GSP, crown caps false in all metal when "centered" on the DD COIL, but if I go to discriminate with less than 40 on the setting, and just "tickle" the target with the nose of the coil, I get a clear iron "blat". I haven't tried this at depth however.
January 22, 2014 10:45PM
In tot lots the G2 with the standard 11" coil is a magnet for
screw caps.

In my opinion you may need to use a different coil.

I have a nell 5" sharp and sharpshooter arriving soon for

Further tests.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2014 11:29AM by wolfau.
January 23, 2014 12:05AM
Rod --

All this being said, the G2 is an excellent little machine...lightning fast, very good separation, and fairly good depth -- ESPECIALLY in all-metals mode. This machine can be run in a number of ways -- from an all-metal deep relic hunt, to unmasking in iron (setting your iron tone break near the high end of where a particular site's nails are IDing at), to a park cherry-picker by setting your disc. level at 80...

It's a fun, intuitive machine, with quite a bit of intelligent information in the audio, which it doesn't take too long to learn...

Have fun!

Steve
January 23, 2014 01:35AM
Man! People hammering on my favorite detector of all time. Yup, she loves to false on iron and yup, she loves screwcaps and bottlecaps...she also loves buttons...best button machine ever. Spend some time and you will find the audio (even for digital) tells you a lot. I really don't have to dig iron (big or small) anymore unless I want..gotta learn that audio not so much the TID.
January 23, 2014 02:01AM
One other thing with screw caps though if you move the coil over the object twice like an x shape the reading most times is not 100% and

this is an indicator its not a coin. If you move the coil tip near the screw cap machine will react a little as iron but not always 100%.

I am looking forward to testing it out in the Goldfields. Can't wait.

Just an update as I was writing this the Nel coils arrived. I just finished a quick sensitivity test and the 5" sharp coil is amazing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2014 02:26AM by wolfau.
January 23, 2014 03:00AM
wolfau Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One other thing with screw caps though if you move
> the coil over the object twice like an x shape the
> reading most times is not 100% and
>
> this is an indicator its not a coin. If you move
> the coil tip near the screw cap machine will react
> a little as iron but not always 100%.
>
> I am looking forward to testing it out in the
> Goldfields. Can't wait.
>
> Just an update as I was writing this the Nel coils
> arrived. I just finished a quick sensitivity test
> and the 5" sharp coil is amazing.

Do you feel the NEL Sharp coil is better/more effective than the FT 5" coil on the G2?
January 23, 2014 03:17AM
I don't own the the FT 5" coil.

But a guy on youtube has done some tests.

[www.youtube.com]
January 23, 2014 04:37AM
great detector. Best prospecting vlf for me that I have owned...Also a real nice relic hunter and coinshooter.