Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

VID readings questions

Posted by tmanfromtexas 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
VID readings questions
July 20, 2008 01:14AM
Hi everyone. I am new to the forum. I came across this via another poster on another forum and am glad I did. There are some great posts here and Tom you are doing the metaldetecting hobby a great service.

I have about 40 hours with the F75 and I am fairly pleased with the machine. I have mine set up with 4h tones, disc at 6 (tried 1 but it wasnt for me) and I set my sens at 70 unless I have emi then I curb it back til it settles down. I have found my share of coins. Most have been at 5 inches or less. If I get a solid tone and a VID above 65 I dig it. If it is bouncing from 65-95 I usually dont. My question is after watching Low boy's vid, seeing the number bounce around and him digging a wheatie, does everyone dig those targets if the audio tone is solid? Those VID numbers bouncing like that have always been trash for me. Is that normal or am I leaving alot of stuff laying around for others to find? Any info would be greatly appreciated. TMAN...
Re: VID readings questions
July 20, 2008 02:09AM
Well no better then LowBoy to talk to you about the F75. Yes my numbers bounce around most of the time in dirt but I only use the numbers to see what number repeats the most. I have found indian heads that are from 45-60 and bounce and sometimes the tones is scratchy. I think I just have been doing this so long that I kind of know by the tone and the numbers even if they are flying around.

On turf I get a number that locks on for the most part on coins or rings.

It is not like a Cz3D that locks on high mid to low but with the numbers you get more movement so you can tell a little more about the target. Now that is how my machine works in Calif it is not perfect but it does find me a lot of old relics and coins and toys.

I have not dug numbers from say 16-29 and Tom says if you get a good tone it could be some old coins and I hunt where there are old coins so I will go back to the fairground lot and dig all readings as long as I have the energy. I start out strong and for a few hours I dig and dig then I start to get a bit tired and am more selective.

I love this hobby you get to get outside come summer or winter in Calif it is all good. You just have to have a good spot so if all fails schools and parks keep me in shape till I find some new/old land to hunt Good Luck

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
July 20, 2008 01:16PM
TMAN, there are many good coins that ID in the range of (VDI) 53-64. Don't miss them! ....... And if you are in 4H tone option...... they would audibly report as the 3rd highest tone (((the next tone just below the highest tone))).

Tom
July 21, 2008 01:22AM
After watching LowBoy's video where he is digging the wheatie and the numbers were bouncing it was like a lightbulb went off. I have been hunting with the F75 and have only been digging the solid tones with solid numbers. I have found alot of coins but most were not deep. I never really dug targets that were jumpy even though they were deep. I had heard that the 75 was deep and I figured that the tones should be sharp and the numbers dead on and not jump. I thought wrong.

Yesterday I went with a few hunting buddies to a very old school in Gary In. One of my buddies Greg pulled 18 wheats in about 2 hours. I pulled one. He uses an SE and is very adept with it. After watching LowBoy's video I decided to dig all targets that gave a repeatable 3 and 4 high tone even if the VDI number was all over the map.

This morning Greg and I went back and hit the same school. The first target I got was at 7 inches and was bouncy from 60-87. I dug it and out popped a 1893 Italian 10 Centisimi. The next good target bounced from 65-75 and was at 8 inches on my pin point. My pin point is usually off by about 2 inches so a dime or penny at 6 is ok with me. I popped the plug pin pointed and the hole had a id of 95. I thought crap, iron. I checked it with my hh pin pointer and out popped a 1964 dime. My first silver with the 75. I couldnt believe the 95 reading but it is what it is.

After 9 hours of hunting I ended up with
3 1/2 wheaties
A 5 cent token for a bar in Gary, I am thinking pre prohibition due to the 5 cent worth
2 silver rosies (my first 2 day silver ever)
1924 25 cent french coin
2 gold plated rings 1 may actually have 5 small diamonds. They sparkled brilliantly in the sun and were the only clean things on the ring
An old bottle
An old marble
Possibly a large cent. It is soaking and will know more in a few days
A navy coat button
An old thimble which has some etching near the bottom, never seen that.
A few clad dimes and pennies
and a whole lot of trash lol

My buddy Greg found 3 mercs, a buffalo and several wheaties.

All of my finds basically rang in from 55 to 95 and were at least 5 inches deep. Some of my finds the SE couldnt pick up. The reason was that iron was near. I dug crap out of holes then out came a goody. One of dimes was about 1 inch from a large piece of iron.

The only question I have for the group is I saw several + signs when I was digging. Most of the time it would be a trash item and one or two I left behind because I just couldnt find it even with a crater. If anyone knows what that means I would appreciate it.

Sorry for the long post but I was absolutely stoked by the great items I found today and how well the 75 worked especially the depth. HOLY CRAP!!! I was digging some holes in excess of 8 inches to pull a spent bullet.

I am now glad I spent the money for this machine and am ready to get out again. TMAN...
July 21, 2008 03:41AM
"...dig all targets that gave a repeatable 3 and 4 high tone even if the VDI number was all over the map."

You just described how the MXT behaves and it was designed by the same guy that had a heavy hand in designing the F75. I'm really glad to hear what you're saying as I've only had a chance to play with mine in the yard. Its just too darn hot, here in the South, to go do any serious hunting right now.
July 21, 2008 12:22PM
When the VDI is trying to read above '99'....... a " + " symbol will display. What is it/////and Why? Specifically, iron (actually steel) will do this.......,,,,,, and in many cases , it's iron co-located with a non-ferrous object. While sweeping coil, rotate your body around the target and watch the VDI. This will give you a fairly large clue of 'dig' or 'no dig'..... due to how the detector responds as you rotate around the target. I could give further clues,,,, but your soil may present a different signature.

In most cases, the F-75 will trump the Explorer (especially around iron); it's just a matter of learning the language of the F-75. The microprocessor is faster, and the DD coil presents better adjacent target separation capabilities.
July 21, 2008 03:12PM
Thanks Tom, I get that after I have opened a hole to dig around. I dont remember getting it before I dig. The funny thing with all the targets that I dug that were 6 inches or deeper, I never got a good lock on numbers. The tones were usually good but not the numbers. TMAN...
July 22, 2008 02:58AM
Try finding a clear/clean spot of soil........ and bury a silver dime. See what your unit ID's this dime. (( Don't be disappointed ))!
July 24, 2008 03:22AM
Tom does the + sign have anything to do with GB..I noticed for the first time while on the Dry sandy Beach in NC my F75 read the + sign then I added a few GB numbers and + sign went away..there was no metal around that I found except for a few specks scattered all over in different places..Kinda strange as I have never seen this on the VDI while hunting Dirt and using the fast grab..Now I'm wondering myself..hummmm..this is intresting...james
July 24, 2008 05:33AM
Tman most of the coins that bounce ID numberwise for me have a piece of trash close by so I'm not getting just the coin signal.The first nickel I dug with the F 75 read ID of 64.I also work at getting the coil centered of the coin then check the numbers,this is a big help for me.

Tom I'm bigtime guilty of not digging ID numbers in the 50's too much aluminum trash at those numbers.I'll mend my ways.Scrap Aluminum prices must be going up.
July 25, 2008 01:54AM
You're simply changing how the detector responds to the mineral matrix...... by virtue of changing the Gnd Bal. Yes, this can affect the '+' frequency.
July 26, 2008 05:20AM
Ok, Thanks Tom for the info..makes good sense....james

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2008 05:21AM by liquid1.