Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What would cause two different coils to ground balance way different?

Posted by wjs 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
wjs
What would cause two different coils to ground balance way different?
April 04, 2014 12:18AM
I compared two coils on the G2, the stock coils and an aftermarket one. The stock coil ground balanced at 45 the other at 25. I tried this in several different locations and the results were similar. Any ideas why they would be so far apart.
Re: What would cause two different coils to ground balance way different?
April 04, 2014 01:59AM
Impedance/reactance/inductance differential.

((( How's that for layman's terms!!!)))
wjs
April 04, 2014 02:12AM
Can you give that to me in english...Lol. Could the coil possibly be bad?
April 04, 2014 03:46AM
"Impedance/reactance/inductance differential"

Impedance is the overall resistance to the flow of electrons in the coil circuit (in ohms).

Impedance is comprised of the circuit's resistance (opposition to current through the coil windings) and inductive reactance (which is the mutual opposition to current flow within an alternating current due to the induced back magnetic field - or electromotive force - which opposes the increase or decrease in current flow. The greater the operating frequency the greater the opposition, and the greater the reduction in current flow.)

An inductor is a wire that carries current. Mutual inductance is when a current flowing in the wire creates a magnetic field, and this field interacts with another wire (or target in the ground) and this induces a voltage that drives current which in-turn creates a secondary magnetic field,which interacts with the primary wire/coil. Without mutual inductance no detector would locate any target in the ground. However, there is also the problem of self-inductance, wherein the current flow within the coil creates a magnetic field or induced emf that opposes the flow within the coil wires.

The number of turns of wire in the coil affects self-inductance, the wire used affects internal resistance, including various resistors and whatnot within the coil. The operating frequency of the coil affects inductive reactance and the net resistance within the circuit affects its impedance.

Thus, since two coils are not electricially identical they readily produce a different ground balance point. Even two supposedly identical coils are not truly the same - minor differences could produce different set points, not that it is all that important.

Johnnyanglo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2014 03:48AM by Johnnyanglo.
April 04, 2014 04:32AM
If they both work does it really matter I wonder?
April 04, 2014 10:58AM
This is where a good test-garden can become critical. You may find a reduction in depth/performance with a non-OEM coil. You may find the ID of targets are not in the 'expected' area................. and if your unit is a tone-ID unit............. a wrongful tone-ID can very well mean that a good coin may read/ID as something OTHER than a coin; subsequently, you don't end up digging the coin.
wjs
April 04, 2014 11:04AM
Tom you are right. That is what I am seeing. That is why I asked the question. The larger aftermarket coil does not operate as good as the smaller stock coil. It will not go as deep (in ground) and for some strange reason even the volume on the G2 seems softer with it. Maybe its because of the modulated audio?
April 04, 2014 03:29PM
what coils are you comparing?
April 04, 2014 11:57PM
My ultimate 13 Inch ground balances way lower than the Biaxial on the G2..like 20 points...

Runs fine works well..

Keith