Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Strange anomaly while using my Teknetics G2

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Strange anomaly while using my Teknetics G2
April 11, 2014 03:41AM
Not a bad anomaly. Just kinda weird and new to me. It may very well happen to all detectors. But I first noticed it the other day. I got a good signal. It was medium-high pitched so I figured that the target was about 2 inches deep. I dug a plug about 3 inches deep. I swang my G2 over the plug: no signal. Then I swung the g2 over the hole that I just dug and I got a lower pitched, softer sounding, signal.......indicating a deep goodie. I dug a mashed three-ringer Minie Ball at about 10 inches. But before I broke ground over that signal, it sounded as if the target was much shallower. But when 3 inches of dirt was removed, the G2's signal was more in line with the depth and size of the object, The only explanation that I can come up with is this: Halo effect!!!! I then started digging MORE higher pitched targets and every once and a while, it would do it again. I don't think that it's a G2 thing.......but rather a general kind of thing that happens. I hope that this made sense. I feel like that none of what I said makes a lick of sense. lol If that's the case.........just scroll on down. I won't be offended. lol Happy Spring, Happy Gardening, and most of all.....,.Happy Detecting!!!!! Kevin
Re: Strange anomaly while using my Teknetics G2
April 11, 2014 05:25AM
Don't know the G2 tones, but if the target was at 10" and the tone indicated 2" then logically the detector was either receiving a stronger than normal signal from the Minie Ball, which is unlikely, or the coil was picking up a closer target, perhaps concentrated iron oxides from a decomposed nail. Once the plug was removed the oxide fragments were disturbed and lost their conductive signature. This effect might be more pronounced if the near surface ground (top few inches) were moist (recent rainfall or snow melt).

The only way to know would be to examine the plug for signs of iron within the matrix. Most people don't check the plug and continue on to the target (now with a clearer and deeper signal with the oxides removed).

The "halo" effect is in my opinion is an overused explanation. There may be some disassociation of certain metals in some soil types, but even so, it is not necessarily true that this proposed effect actually increases the targets signature to the detector. It is more likely that the loss of metal ions into the surrounding soil renders the target less conductive, not more. Especially at greater soil depths wherein metal ions would be less likely to generate enough return signal upon illumination by the primary field to be sensed by the receive coil at all.

However, oxidized iron is the most likely culprit in producing a relatively strong signal when near the surface. Upon being disturbed (during digging) the tiny fragments randomize and thereby lose their electrical connection, and the signal is immediately eliminated from the plug. This makes it appear as if the target beneath the iron was initially shallow, and then upon removing the plug, suddenly appearing deeper. We also know that elongated horizontal iron filings are very likely to drive the primary field line through themselves, which effectively bends the field horizontally away from the non-ferrous target further beneath, masking the deeper target. It is likely that many non-ferrous targets are masked by shallower iron deposits to include decomposed ferrous or magnetite sedimentary layers, both of which act to gather and channel the coil's magnetic field laterally away, hiding the non-ferrous beneath, at least until the soil is disturbed.

A side note: The disturbing of the soil by heavy rains (which tend to liquefy the soil and reorganize the sediments) may be one reason that apparently 'worked' sites become active again and targets are again found. The claim by those rehunting with new detectors (or those testing new detectors for magazines) is that the newest offering has in some way made the 'worked' site - new again. It is just as probable that through natural vertical mixing of the soil matrix, over the ensuring months or years, the site's masking ability was mitigated by being rearranged enough to permit a small percentage of the masked non-ferrous targets to be sensed by the coil again, a benefit which is often attributed to the new detector's performance rather than the altered soil caused by natural forces at work (to include frost/ice heaving, soil compaction, etc.)

Johnnyanglo
April 11, 2014 08:09PM
How strange anomalies can lead to very interesting reading.

HH
Johnb
April 12, 2014 01:28AM
Nice explanation Jonny
April 12, 2014 05:40PM
What coil was you using Kevin?

The larger than stock coils on the G2 seem to for some reason hit a target loud then once you remove the dirt they seem to get less volume..

Keith
April 13, 2014 01:03PM
Johnny...... good/correct (valued) report.
April 13, 2014 02:30PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What coil was you using Kevin?
>
> The larger than stock coils on the G2 seem to for
> some reason hit a target loud then once you remove
> the dirt they seem to get less volume..
>
> Keith

Using the 11 inch Stock DD coil. It dosn't happen EVEY time. It happened a few times and made me want to ask about it. By the way, I appreciate the replies! All of them.